Monday, January 6, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Monday, January 6, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I could've gotten the St. Petersburg/Moscow DD with a few more seconds, but that was just another moment of brain cramp for me.

I think I could've gotten FJ! too, but it just wasn't there. I don't know what I could have even put down other than a joke answer.
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jev15 »

Instaget FJ for one of my favorite novels.

Here's the full quote for the curious:

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22, which specified that a concern for one's own safety in the face of dangers that were real and immediate was the process of a rational mind. Orr was crazy and could be grounded. All he had to do was ask; and as soon as he did, he would no longer be crazy and would have to fly more missions. Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane, he had to fly them. If he flew them, he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to, he was sane and had to. Yossarian was moved very deeply by the absolute simplicity of this clause of Catch-22 and let out a respectful whistle.
"That's some catch, that Catch-22," he observed.
"It's the best there is," Doc Daneeka agreed.
threearruda
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by threearruda »

It's always a good day when Vermont is repped on J! in some capacity LOL. Couldn't get the gears turning fast enough to get FJ right. :(

Karen's performance is starting to remind me a lot of one of my favorite past champs in Seth Wilson. Fast on the buzzer, consistently putting up $20k lock games; not overly dominant, but a decent-sized winning streak that might get overlooked as time goes by. Eventual ToC fate likely depends on the boards that day. As was the case with Seth, I'm very much enjoying Karen's reign.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

No chance on FJ, put down Psycho.

I got the AK DD by going for the obvious. Missed U of Tokyo by not going for the obvious.

I wonder if they would have taken “stay clam”? :lol:
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I had FJ before Alex was done reading the clue, but I think it was misleadingly written. Anyone unfamiliar with the context of the quote will likely spin their wheels. The clue asks us to think of a novel title that could be defined as "concern for one’s own safety in the face of dangers". You'll never get to Catch-22 that way because that's not how Catch-22 is defined. To get to Catch-22, the concern for one's safety must jeopardize the very safety that is the subject of one's concern. Then you have, not a definition, but an EXAMPLE of a Catch-22.

Maybe another example would be a clue that you can't solve if you listen to it. But if you don't listen to it, how are you going to solve it?
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

A performance I do. not. want. to. repeat.

Coryat 25,600 (37R, 7W)
DD 2/3
FJ :mrgreen:

Negnegnegneg all over the place. $6600 worth of negs:

Nixon for "V for Victory"
Baltimore for the Poe city
fell for the Dia de Colón negbait
Thomas for denying Jesus 3x
Alicia Keys for "Empire State of Mind" star
Kyoto for Japanese university with lots of Nobel winners (it does have more than U. of Tokyo, in my defense)
Cabot instead of Henry Hudson (probably my dumbest neg of the bunch)

:evil: :evil: :evil:
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

talkingaway wrote:
Hugo Z wrote:
Ironhorse wrote:
Hugo Z wrote: Gotta love her, but Karen is giving conservatism a bad name with these FJ wagers.
It's odd to make that point in a game thread where her max safe bet would have been 599.
I mentioned it the other day, and this one is of a piece with her other wagers.

Someone mentioned one of the other famous contestants (Austin Rogers?) said he bet $0 on runaways because he didn't want to bother expending any mental energy wagering, to get ready for the next game. Honestly, for $600, when you've already accumulated almost $160K, it's understandable to take a pass on wagering. Imagine if she miscalculated and wagered $799 instead of $599, and it worked. That's a MUCH bigger mistake - costing her at LEAST tens of thousands of dollars - just to make $799.
You're not giving Karen much credit for being able to do a simple math equation here. She has proven in her lock games that she knows the basics of wagering. This is her eighth game, so the stage jitters should be fairly qualmed. FJ wagering is done 'off camera' anyway, with ample time to think it out. I can't see anyone screwing up a lock game wager like that unless they've been informed they have a terminal desease or something on the morning of the taping day.
davey

Post by davey »

Catch-22 was my immediate precall, but I could have sworn that Catch-22 had been an FJ within the last few months...(no, apparently it was last used in 2012). So I was very surprised when I had to do no further thinking when the clue came up!
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Category 13 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:25 pm
talkingaway wrote:
Hugo Z wrote:
Ironhorse wrote:
Hugo Z wrote: Gotta love her, but Karen is giving conservatism a bad name with these FJ wagers.
It's odd to make that point in a game thread where her max safe bet would have been 599.
I mentioned it the other day, and this one is of a piece with her other wagers.

Someone mentioned one of the other famous contestants (Austin Rogers?) said he bet $0 on runaways because he didn't want to bother expending any mental energy wagering, to get ready for the next game. Honestly, for $600, when you've already accumulated almost $160K, it's understandable to take a pass on wagering. Imagine if she miscalculated and wagered $799 instead of $599, and it worked. That's a MUCH bigger mistake - costing her at LEAST tens of thousands of dollars - just to make $799.
You're not giving Karen much credit for being able to do a simple math equation here. She has proven in her lock games that she knows the basics of wagering. This is her eighth game, so the stage jitters should be fairly qualmed. FJ wagering is done 'off camera' anyway, with ample time to think it out. I can't see anyone screwing up a lock game wager like that unless they've been informed they have a terminal desease or something on the morning of the taping day.
I was just saying that if you thought there was a 1% chance of making a simple arithmetic error (and I'm not saying that about Karen specifically), there's nothing wrong with clamping down and betting 0, particularly where you don't have much to gain even if you make a max non-Clavin bet. I'm good with numbers, but if I were just above 2x my opponent, I'd bet 0 and mentally prepare for the next game - unless the category were something like "Rotoscoped Music Videos from the mid-1980s".

If Alex says it's a runaway (and we assume that he's right - otherwise, you'd easily get an apology invitation back if it isn't a runaway), and it's close, maybe your game plan even before setting foot on stage is to bet 0. Nothing wrong with that - we're not all James.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I was absurdly stuck on The Feminine Mystique for too long on FJ until I saw NOVELS again and knew to let it go. I came up with the correct response with enough time to write it down before the music ended (although I'm no longer strict with myself on that front; if I "lock it in" with time left, I'm good). Actually, when I just tried to brainstorm '60s novels after reminding myself of the category, I could only think of Slaughterhouse-Five, which kickstarted my mind back to assigned summer reading in 2000 and got me where I needed to go.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

This was a dominating performance, unlike some of the other games where she wins with ninja stealth. Like facing Phil Niekro, Tommy John, Greg Maddox, and then meeting Roger Clemens. (sorry for the dated baseball metaphors, you know, Boomer :roll: ). The collar is not at 0 for 16 and counting.

I chose Catch-22, although it didn't sound Catch-22-y enough. Considered 1984 (actually written in 1949) and even Fahrenheit 451 (actually 1953) but didn't want to miss it on a change from my first instinct. And Valley of the Dolls was on the radar but I know nothing about it's storyline.

I don't get the pearl clutching about Karen not betting a few hundred dollars just because she can do it "safely". It's still real money if she misses it. She is weaponizing the money machine just fine.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Quick question: Was anyone else misled by the word "shell" being placed in quotes in Shut Up for $400? Doesn't that imply the word must be in the correct response? That was the only reason I didn't come up with clam up

EDIT: i'm, of course, not including putting quotes around proper titles and such.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:02 am Quick question: was anyone else slightly misled by the word "shell" being placed in quotes in Shut Up for $400? Doesn't that imply the word must be in the correct response? That was the only reason I didn't come up with clam up
Category, yes. Clue, no. In a clue, quotes can also emphasize a TOM.

Unrelated, I was misled, but I was thinking turtles, not clams.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Sadly, I think "stay clam" would be incorrect because it does not imply the change of status from open to closed that "clam up" does, but I would pay a lot for a glimpse at Alex's reaction in the alternate universe where a contestant said that.

I got FJ! correct as a Hail Mary; had trouble parsing the clue.

Does Karen remind anyone else of Amy Adams?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Linear Gnome wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:57 am ...

Does Karen remind anyone else of Amy Adams?
Megan Boone AKA Agent Elizabeth Keen on The Blacklist is the lookalike comparison I've seen across numerous forums and was my initial thought as well. It has to the be the right photo and hairstyle (well wig as the case may be for the actress) otherwise it's a no.

https://www.google.com/search?q=megan+b ... 3RgSxjqsxM:
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:23 pm I had FJ before Alex was done reading the clue, but I think it was misleadingly written. Anyone unfamiliar with the context of the quote will likely spin their wheels. The clue asks us to think of a novel title that could be defined as "concern for one’s own safety in the face of dangers". You'll never get to Catch-22 that way because that's not how Catch-22 is defined. To get to Catch-22, the concern for one's safety must jeopardize the very safety that is the subject of one's concern. Then you have, not a definition, but an EXAMPLE of a Catch-22.

Maybe another example would be a clue that you can't solve if you listen to it. But if you don't listen to it, how are you going to solve it?
Yep. Never read Catch-22, so the quote was meaningless to me.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

53 R (Missed Jingle All the Way and Fat Joe.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (Moscow & Saint Petersburg), All About the Benjamins, Dia de la Raza, Bananas, George Bernard Shaw, Ostrich, Mining, Samuel de Champlain, Desiderius Erasmus, Hen, Thailand
Douglas Squasoni
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:03 am After clue 3 Karen was in the red and in last place as she blew DD1. The loss was only $1000 as Karen only got half of the Anna Karenina cities. She got the non-capital and then said nothing for the second part. Alex was as incredulous as viewers with, "Go for the obvious..."
In the book and at the time, that "non-capital" was the captal, which may explain Karen's selection.
OCSam
yclept

Post by yclept »

Karen is a fun champion because she is just super steady. It was shocking to see her ring and miss multiple times tonight. Her challengers just can’t get into any kind of consistent groove to put any real pressure on her.

You can pretty much write her down to have $18-22K or so heading into FJ and it is hard for contestants to get to that level.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:51 pm Considered 1984 (actually written in 1949)
Published in 1949. Principally written in 1948, though started in 1947. The title is a deliberate inversion of the two last digits of the year in which he was writing. 1948 => 1984. I.e. the times are not as different as you think. Leastways, that's what I've heard. Helps me remember the date anyway.