Tuesday, January 7, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, January 7, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
INTERNATIONAL SPORTS STARS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Now with over 185 million followers, he surpassed Selena Gomez in 2018 to become the most followed person on Instagram

Karen Farrell: 8200-8200=0
David Xia: 4800+3999=8799
Lisa Warne-Magro: 15600-900=14700 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
(Cristiano) Ronaldo (Karen – David Beckham) (Lisa – that soccer guy)

Daily Doubles
Karen: 1600-1600
Lisa: 8200+3000
Lisa: 18800-4000

Coryats
Karen: 9800
David: 4800
Lisa: 18200

Combined: 32,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Karen: 2600
David: 1600
Lisa: 5800
Last edited by theFJguy on Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Alex's opening brought up the names of Buzzy, Austin and James for flamboyant contestants in comparison to Karen as "the antithesis of those guys." Sure enough it was to be Karen's last game of regular play.

Karen has been introduced as a political consultant and you know it's not your game when you do 1600-1600 in the POLITICS category.

Chat time had Karen mention that her daughter's name is Elizabeth. Aha, the Agent Keen comparisons have been wrong and Karen is Katarina Rostova. :)

Ethel Merman singing about ZIP codes? Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZmkbDZBuvI

At DD3 halfway through the round it was:
Lisa: 18800
David: 4800
Karen: 2200

Nice work by Karen (with more than one instance of help by Lisa) to put herself in play for the FJ! round. It was exciting to watch the scores and see the lock being eroded. Karen had a needed double rebound after her opponents both missed the "Music City Miracle" team.

The FJ! category had me write three precalls this time and once again the correct response was there. Getting rid of Pele was easy when I saw the clue to turn it into a coin toss. I went the right way in not picking "The Flea" while never once thinking of Karen's Beckham who could have made my deliberation more difficult.

Even with a get on the clue I still think that kind of material stinks for the FJ! round. Who gives a flying about someone's Instagram followers? The writers can't be so out of ideas to let that kind of clue get the green light. Better use could have been made of INTERNATIONAL SPORTS STARS for a category that is not typical for the FJ! round.

Lisa was 1/3 on the big clues and almost let a runaway, escape. With a new champ in place we'll see if five clues a game not played this week so far can get a little better.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coin flip for me. As seemingly happens with all my coin flips, it landed on the wrong side: Messi.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

Damn, I went down the Beckham path too. And he isn't anywhere close to first place. Should've known it would have to be someone more contemporary.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Figuring it was a soccer star, I went with Messi as the most obvious choice, despite knowing nothing about his Instagram presence.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Knew it wasn't Beckham, couldn't think of anyone more contemporary. So I went out of the box & guessed Rafael Nadal.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Haven’t read the post because I’m going to play it off my DVR, but here checking FJ! wagers and scores - typo on Xia?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

DBear wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:40 pm Knew it wasn't Beckham, couldn't think of anyone more contemporary. So I went out of the box & guessed Rafael Nadal.
I also knew it was a soccer player but couldn’t come up with one so went with Federer.

David’s trumpeting Michigan athletics would really have given me a chuckle if he had appeared on New Year’s Day right after the Citrus Bowl. 🐘
theFJguy

Post by theFJguy »

talkingaway wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:26 pm Haven’t read the post because I’m going to play it off my DVR, but here checking FJ! wagers and scores - typo on Xia?
Fixed, thanks.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

ETA: Never mind, found the episode.
Last edited by TenPoundHammer on Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spum
Contributor

Post by Spum »

For everyone’s future reference, Messi is the reserved one, Ronaldo is way more flamboyant.

And Ronaldo being a “social influencer” on instagram has been in the news in the last six months, so the question didn’t come out of nowhere. It kind of makes it more of a Current Events question than an International Sports Star question.
Last edited by Spum on Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Spum wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:32 pm For everyone’s future reference, Messi is the reserved one, Ronaldo is way more flamboyant.
That is pretty helpful, thanks! And the opposite of what the name "Messi" would imply.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

What the...who gives a !*&*($#@#($)(!( how many followers on....fine. OK 185M, gotta be a soccer player, it's either Lionel Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo...Ronaldo, whatever. I got it right and I still hate this FJ. I guess we're lucky it wasn't an even lazier clue about Pele or Beckham, although "Int'l Sports Star" still translated into soccer player, just like I thought.

Sorry to see Karen go. I thought she had at least another 3-5 days in her. See you in the TOC.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat 37200 (44R, 1W)
DD 2/3
FJ :(

Two poll requests:

1. Messi was my incorrect answer for Tuesday's FJ
2. The "martinet" DD

NHO martinet myself. It only has come up two other times in the archives, and was a triple stumper both times. How it wasn't in the $2000 row is beyond me.

Congrats to Karen on a great run, looking forward to watching her compete again.
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

Coryat: $37,200 (38R, 0W)
DD; 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: nonpartisan, Thomas Edison, NAACP, Panama, Dubai

Missed 8 clues in J!...5 of them in Soft Words. :(

FJ came to me eventually, figured it had to be a current soccer player and Messi seemed to unlikely to have a big IG presence.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

I think we can all agree that Karen's the best player of the decade. I'd put her at Silver for the next TOC.
I thought Buzzy was a Bronze and look how that prediction turned out....
Hoping for a third lap
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Three word-based categories? I ran Anagrams, found Soft Words incredibly tough and got only $1,000, and got only 1/4 in Occupations.

I thought Soft Words was extremely tough. "Wrath" seemed obscure for $200, especially compared to Lenore = "The Raven" in the bottom box.

Really struggled in DJ! Ran Think It Will Work, but got only four other right.

No guess on FJ! NHO the correct response.

Lach Trash: Thomas Edison
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

sarisson wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:13 pm I think we can all agree that Karen's the best player of the decade.
I might suggest using the archive to check out FJ in game 2 way back in 1984. :D