GOAT Tournament Day 1 (1/7/20) Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

brick
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: GOAT Tournament Day 1 (1/7/20) Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by brick »

heppm01 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:33 am I missed the first couple minutes so maybe this was addressed at the top of the show, but what was the deal with the retro look of the clue board? I can't say I was a fan of that.
I wouldn't have called it retro. ABC wanted a hand in The Look since this is a network event. I like it. It's temporary. Hopefully so is the new Think music.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

brick wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:14 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:21 am I apologize if someone else has already mentioned this, but it was impressive that James came so close despite not uncovering a single Daily Double.
I noticed but hadn't mentioned. No one else has. That is kinda scary.
OTOH, the DDs didn't exactly do Brad any favors, so the end result was still probably as expected: Ken won by taking advantage of DDs, Brad was hurt by missing a couple.
goongas

Post by goongas »

8:00 p.m. ABC – Jeopardy! Tournament of Champions (premiere) Viewers: 14.01 million (#1), A18-49: 2.3/11 (#1)
If the tournament holds these wonderful ratings, I would expect some more J! primetime programming in the summer, maybe something akin to Super Jeopardy! where the field is expanded.
brick

Post by brick »

goongas wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:47 pm
8:00 p.m. ABC – Jeopardy! Tournament of Champions (premiere) Viewers: 14.01 million (#1), A18-49: 2.3/11 (#1)
If the tournament holds these wonderful ratings, I would expect some more J! primetime programming in the summer, maybe something akin to Super Jeopardy! where the field is expanded.
I think this is a well they need to be very mindful of visiting too often. This event is working because it has three huge headliners soon after James' success was national news.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:21 am I apologize if someone else has already mentioned this, but it was impressive that James came so close despite not uncovering a single Daily Double.
yclept wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:40 am Great first matchup. James with a 60,000 two-game total without hitting a DD is quite impressive.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

brick wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:16 pm
I think this is a well they need to be very mindful of visiting too often. This event is working because it has three huge headliners soon after James' success was national news.
Alex has also been in the news a lot himself. So people who may not be regular viewers tuned in to see him one last time before he retires.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Also, saying that James got no Daily Doubles in a 2-game, total-point match is comparing apples to oranges, if you're trying to make some kind of comparison to how his performance might have looked in a regular-play game. The first Final served as a de facto Daily Double that everyone got to try.
goongas

Post by goongas »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:25 pm
brick wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:16 pm
Alex has also been in the news a lot himself. So people who may not be regular viewers tuned in to see him one last time before he retires.
If the ratings were half of what they were, ABC probably would have been very happy. I understand the circumstances why the ratings were so high. I think it will be too tempting not for ABC to try again, maybe by the summer. They put on game shows where the ratings are a lot lower than this in the summer.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

Warms the cockles of my heart to see JGOAT stomp the living hell out of Game of Games in the ratings.
Last edited by Hugo Z on Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

This is kind of like the Avengers: Endgame of television popularity in that it took 15 years of setup to get to this point.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Someone can correct me if I am wrong but just by eyeballing it, it looks like Brad would not have won this match even if he had gotten all his Daily Doubles right. In the first game, Ken would still have ended up with more money going into Final, and in the second game, although Brad may have had more money going into Final by doubling up twice, he was not able to come up with the correct Final response.

Brad needs to up both his buzzer game and his STAY CLAM game by quite a bit if he's going to get back in this.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:30 am
mas3cf wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:26 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:51 am
Mario500 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:50 am I did not like hearing whom I had believed to had been the host of the program presenting what I had believed to had been a certain clue for one of its game involving a certain word I would describe as "profane" (its spelling was similar to this one: " witchin' ") and did not like the music for the final rounds of those games (I was hoping one of the final rounds would have a certain kind of music originally used for the final rounds of games for a TV program like this one ("Jeopardy!") in years past since I had expected it ("Jeopardy!: The Greatest of All Time!") to be what some folks might describe as a "special").
Is this the longest single sentence ever posted here? :D
That sentence, which at first I hadn't notice was only one sentence but is indeed, and which contains a multitude of thoughts and opinions, some of which some folks will agree with and some will disagree with, and of those who disagree, only a few will express their opinions, and only some of those will do so in a respectful fashion, whereas the less respectful ones stand a chance of being removed from the board, or at least censured by the moderators in some way, shape, or form, as they tend to do in order to keep things respectful and civil for the enjoyment of the board's users, most of whom are indeed respectful and civil individuals, which are qualities that serve them well in other aspects of their lives (in some cases resulting in appearances on the show), is quite possibly the longest sentence that had been ever posted on the board until now; however, I do not have a good way of verifying this with any degree of certainty, so I am forced to speculate, which leaves me vulnerable to being corrected.
Congratulations. I think we can end the arms race at this point! ;)
I also ran out of periods recently. I had to do without for several days. I then ordered more than usual. I now have a big stockpile. I've been trying to use them up. I'm happy to share. Let me know. I'll be happy to send some. I also have extra ampersands. And virgules.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
brick

Post by brick »

Linear Gnome wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:25 pm
yclept wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:40 am Great first matchup. James with a 60,000 two-game total without hitting a DD is quite impressive.
I stand corrected and deeply apologize.
davey

Post by davey »

What a fun match to watch, and I approve of the outcome!
Wasn't that first FJ a clear YKIOYD? Was anybody actually helped by the category or the invocation of Calvin Coolidge? I almost felt sympathy with those who complain the show shouldn't have religious content, though it was as ridiculously easy for me as it was for the 3 champs.
The 2d FJ, on the other hand...The best I could come up with was Hubble or Sagan... :oops:
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

That would be great!

The one thing standing in the way of that is whether Alex will still be able to host. I'd think that such an extravaganza would be less attractive to the network without him.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

My prior was that the players were very evenly matched and I wouldn't dare make any predictions.

Assuming that's exactly correct (i.e., that in any given match each player has equal winning probability), Ken's chances of winning the tournament are now 133/243 (or just under 55%), with the other two at 55/243 each.

To put it another way, If each player's expected winnings at the beginning were $500k, then Ken's expected winnings right now are about $660k, and Brad's and James's about $420k each.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I wish they would give a player something for winning a match even if they don’t win the whole tournament. If it finishes 3-2-0, it seems like the one who won two matches should get more than the one who didn’t win any.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:15 pm I wish they would give a player something for winning a match even if they don’t win the whole tournament. If it finishes 3-2-0, it seems like the one who won two matches should get more than the one who didn’t win any.
That could lead to perverse incentives. For example, let's say that going into match 5, the players have won 2, 1 and 0 matches. Then in match 5 the player with 1 falls behind. He may prefer the tournament to end, and might play in a way that favors the opponent with 2 wins.
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:32 am Thanks to the archivists getting this up so quickly.

One suggestion..,perhaps a small note indicating who went first in each game, as they had a rather unusual way of doing it.
I must be missing something but I can't find the GOAT games on the archive.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

mrparadise wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:03 pm
Bamaman wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:32 am Thanks to the archivists getting this up so quickly.

One suggestion..,perhaps a small note indicating who went first in each game, as they had a rather unusual way of doing it.
I must be missing something but I can't find the GOAT games on the archive.
Going through "all seasons" gets you there: http://www.j-archive.com/listseasons.php

The other method on the front page is to look below the two FJ! clues shown for another link while avoiding today's regular FJ! clue that has been there since 10 this morning PT. That's here: http://www.j-archive.com/showseason.php ... tournament