GOAT Tournament Day 1 (1/7/20) Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: GOAT Tournament Day 1 (1/7/20) Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by John Boy »

Well I could hardly believe that in a tournament of this quality both FJs were instagets for me. Of course the first one was, for an old theologian like me (I could have quoted the passage in Koine Greek if required). I got the Astronomy one mostly because I remember an almost identical question showing up on a J! contestant quiz a few years ago. Odd, what you remember.

One thing that I really, REALLY liked about this round: after listening to so much political news, with everyone seemingly in a pissing contest to trash-talk everyone else (as if that makes themselves look so good, you know,) it was truly refreshing to hear these three guys speaking humbly about their chances against such stellar opponents, joking about losing, etc. Even if all three of them fully intend to crush the other two, this good sportsmanship was a welcome relief from the junk that appears on most TV.

So, thanks, guys.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:40 am
FJ2 had me glad my coin only had two sides as I did not have enough knowledge/recall of comets to think of Hale-Bopp during think time. Using the Lewis & Clark method of going with the first name of a pairing being the best choice I matched James & Ken for the match perfecto.
(just playing from the message board, maybe I'll try rabbit ears tonite?)
I wish I knew that rule, as I unwisely took Levy. I will be keeping score going forward to see if it holds up. I confused this with another comet found by an amateur and a professional astronomer, (Maybe Hale Bopp) and reasoned that the pro had the connections to get sent to space.

I knew the phrase from John, but not it's address.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:51 am
Mario500 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:50 am I did not like hearing whom I had believed to had been the host of the program presenting what I had believed to had been a certain clue for one of its game involving a certain word I would describe as "profane" (its spelling was similar to this one: " witchin' ") and did not like the music for the final rounds of those games (I was hoping one of the final rounds would have a certain kind of music originally used for the final rounds of games for a TV program like this one ("Jeopardy!") in years past since I had expected it ("Jeopardy!: The Greatest of All Time!") to be what some folks might describe as a "special").
Is this the longest single sentence ever posted here? :D
That sentence, which at first I hadn't notice was only one sentence but is indeed, and which contains a multitude of thoughts and opinions, some of which some folks will agree with and some will disagree with, and of those who disagree, only a few will express their opinions, and only some of those will do so in a respectful fashion, whereas the less respectful ones stand a chance of being removed from the board, or at least censured by the moderators in some way, shape, or form, as they tend to do in order to keep things respectful and civil for the enjoyment of the board's users, most of whom are indeed respectful and civil individuals, which are qualities that serve them well in other aspects of their lives (in some cases resulting in appearances on the show), is quite possibly the longest sentence that had been ever posted on the board until now; however, I do not have a good way of verifying this with any degree of certainty, so I am forced to speculate, which leaves me vulnerable to being corrected.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

mas3cf wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:26 am
Mario500 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:50 am I did not like hearing whom I had believed to had been the host of the program presenting what I had believed to had been a certain clue for one of its game involving a certain word I would describe as "profane" (its spelling was similar to this one: " witchin' ") and did not like the music for the final rounds of those games (I was hoping one of the final rounds would have a certain kind of music originally used for the final rounds of games for a TV program like this one ("Jeopardy!") in years past since I had expected it ("Jeopardy!: The Greatest of All Time!") to be what some folks might describe as a "special").
That sentence, which at first I hadn't notice was only one sentence but is indeed, and which contains a multitude of thoughts and opinions, some of which some folks will agree with and some will disagree with, and of those who disagree, only a few will express their opinions, and only some of those will do so in a respectful fashion, whereas the less respectful ones stand a chance of being removed from the board, or at least censured by the moderators in some way, shape, or form, as they tend to do in order to keep things respectful and civil for the enjoyment of the board's users, most of whom are indeed respectful and civil individuals, which are qualities that serve them well in other aspects of their lives (in some cases resulting in appearances on the show), is quite possibly the longest sentence that had been ever posted on the board until now; however, I do not have a good way of verifying this with any degree of certainty, so I am forced to speculate, which leaves me vulnerable to being corrected.
Congratulations. I think we can end the arms race at this point! ;)
Golf

Post by Golf »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:51 am Is this the longest single sentence ever posted here? :D
I don’t know, but regardless, that was one bitchin’ sentence dude. :lol:
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

I missed the first couple minutes so maybe this was addressed at the top of the show, but what was the deal with the retro look of the clue board? I can't say I was a fan of that.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

I was pleased with myself for coming up with "Lewis & Clark Clifford Odets" without knowing if Clark Clifford was anyone at all.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Hate, hate, HATE that version of the think music.

It was very humbling watching those three tear through those boards. That was some seriously tough material.

Was anyone else surprised that there was an audience? I assumed this was going to be done in an empty studio. No wonder there are rumors that the results leaked out.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

"Bitchin"(or "bitchen") is an old slang expression, and it's not profane, so I guess we don't have to worry that AT has become some kind of out-of-control vulgarian in the twilight of his career.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

What an interesting start to the tourney. It was fun to see Ken's intensity and his ultimate triumph on this day. Once again, James's speed on the Before, During and After clues (which vex me no end) is truly awe-inspiring. I was particularly aggrieved over the Lewis and Clark Clifford Odets clue: Robert McNamara is Pavlovian for me with LBJ Defense Secretary. The difficulty level of these clues felt similar to a typical TOC to me. Perhaps naively, I was expecting tougher, but we have 6 more days to see.
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

boson wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:10 pm I'm with Alex - that think music seemed short. Did anyone time it?
I don't know that it felt short, but I did feel that the tempo of the music itself was a little quicker than usual. If I were playing and heard that music, it would have raised my anxiety level a bit.
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

talkingaway wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:37 am This game will demoralize borderline folks like me who are prepping for the audition test. Yikes! So many, many NHOs and HTFWIKTs. Then again, I'm not a trivia imbiber like many are here (and like those three obviously are) - my meager knowledge is all-natural.

The sheer speed on the wordplay categories is impressive. Coming up with three terms/phrases in the time I can come up with one....

That said - Don Ho for Elvis? Wow. You can take the man out of Utah, but you can't take the Utah out of the man.

Also, years ago in the early, primordial days of the Internet (circa 1991), I was part of a Prodigy message board with Felicia Day called the Ultima Dragons, which was for fans of the computer RPG series Ultima. She was Codex Dragon; I was Karma Dragon. When they started charging on Prodigy for e-mails, we devised "undergrounds" - every Prodigy account had 1 main account and 5 "child" accounts, and we'd give the passwords to the "child" accounts to each other. To send an email, we'd bounce it on purpose - bounced emails incurred no charge. Ah, the Internet before the real Internet.
I strongly recommend watching "The Guild", Felicia Day's show, on Netflix.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I apologize if someone else has already mentioned this, but it was impressive that James came so close despite not uncovering a single Daily Double.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

From Marc Berman's "Programming Insider":

8:00 p.m. ABC – Jeopardy! Tournament of Champions (premiere) Viewers: 14.01 million (#1), A18-49: 2.3/11 (#1)

CBS – NCIS Viewers: 10.02 million (#2), A18-49: 1.0/ 5 (#2t)

NBC – Ellen’s Game of Games (season premiere) Viewers: 4.31 million (#3), A18-49: 1.0/ 5 (#2t)

Fox – The Resident Viewers: 3.84 million (#4), A18-49: 0.7/ 3 (#4)

CW – Batwoman (R) Viewers: 714,000 (#5), A18-49: 0.2/ 1 (#5)

8:30 p.m. ABC – Jeopardy! Tournament of Champions (premiere) Viewers: 14.68 million (#1), A18-49: 2.5/11 (#1)

CBS – NCIS Viewers: 10.54 million (#2), A18-49: 1.0/ 4 (#2t)

NBC – Ellen’s Game of Games (season premiere) Viewers: 4.38 million (#3), A18-49: 1.0/ 5 (#2t)

Fox – The Resident Viewers: 3.61 million (#4), A18-49: 0.6/ 3 (#4)

CW – Batwoman (R) Viewers: 580,000 (#5), A18-49: 0.1/ 1 (#5)

Read more: https://programminginsider.com/tuesday- ... nites-abc/
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

nserven wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:51 am I was pleased with myself for coming up with "Lewis & Clark Clifford Odets" without knowing if Clark Clifford was anyone at all.
+1 :lol:
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

slam wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:19 am I strongly recommend watching "The Guild", Felicia Day's show, on Netflix.
Very much seconded.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Woof wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:10 am What an interesting start to the tourney. It was fun to see Ken's intensity and his ultimate triumph on this day. Once again, James's speed on the Before, During and After clues (which vex me no end) is truly awe-inspiring. I was particularly aggrieved over the Lewis and Clark Clifford Odets clue: Robert McNamara is Pavlovian for me with LBJ Defense Secretary. The difficulty level of these clues felt similar to a typical TOC to me. Perhaps naively, I was expecting tougher, but we have 6 more days to see.
I had never heard of Clifford and was only Secretary of Defense for a little under a year, getting the job in March 1968. The clue wasn’t made any easier with Ramsey Clark being LBJ’s Attorney General.

I know he is in his 90s, but please don’t ask Norman Lear to host a category.
brick

Post by brick »

Please. It will be taken as a challenge.
brick

Post by brick »

brick wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:10 pm
Please. It will be taken as a challenge.
HA! Called it.
brick

Post by brick »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:21 am I apologize if someone else has already mentioned this, but it was impressive that James came so close despite not uncovering a single Daily Double.
I noticed but hadn't mentioned. No one else has. That is kinda scary.