Wednesday, January 8, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, January 8, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:54 pm 59 R (GLOW was my only miss.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Bison, Endorse, My Little Pony, Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Things Fall Apart, (Montreal), Croatia & Serbia, Ile de la Cite, Cole Porter, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Dmitri Shostakovich, Martha Washington, Sequoyah

For Mark Barrett: For the Sequoyah clue, you misspelled his name as Sequoia.
Seen and fixed. Thanks. I still get caught blindly following the CC without thinking. When I picked up the trash I had it with the correct spelling in mind. :)
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Coryat: $35,000 (40R, 0W)
LT: bison, endorse, Montreal (DD), My Little Pony, Do Not Go GENTLE Into That Good Night, Tchiakovsky

My first really good game in a while, ran Imperative Verb and Sparkling, but really disappointed in my 2/5 with 3 clams for Film Composers.

I was 100% sure on Croatia just by the shape, but clammed when I couldn't recognize Serbia.

I vacillated a bit between Zola and Dreyfus, but confidently settled on the correct response halfway through the music.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:40 pm I had FJ! down as a "no" before I had even seen the clue. Correct response is unfamiliar to me.
Seriously dude, search function:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4108&p=245519&hilit=Dreyfus#p245519
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2937&p=175020&hilit=Dreyfus#p175020
yclept

Post by yclept »

Gosh, he deserved to lose after that insane DD wager in the J! round. I get there is a reason why that category was left for last and that you may not think the returning champ is scary given her one win, but come on.

The DJ round was one of the most painful in recent memory. As I fall asleep tonight, I still have “beep beep beep” going through my brain.....
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

DBear wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:14 pm Didn't think it was possible to get Zola w/o Dreyfus, but what do I know?
It's not surprising to me. The name Zola came to me right away. It took a few more seconds to get to Dreyfus. I could see myself blanking on it under the lights.

Going from that DJ round into the GOAT Tournament was a bit of a contrast.
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Knew that the FJ was Pavlovian for something but apparently that pathway in my brain has not been solidified yet. It didn't help that The Thomas Crown Affair kept running through my head.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

talkingaway wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:34 pm I'd heard the phrase "Dreyfuss Affair", but thought it was a 70s political movie - probably embarrassingly conflating it with Jaws, too. But hey, I'm new to the J! cannon, so I'll learn from my blind spot in turn-of-the-century French history. I'm 99% sure it wasn't covered in my AP Euro class way back in 1994, which concluded my formal study of non-American history.
I've been seeing this mistake a few times lately ... it is 'canon' with a single n, not the device you use to mow down your enemies.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

alietr wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:32 pm
talkingaway wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:34 pm I'd heard the phrase "Dreyfuss Affair", but thought it was a 70s political movie - probably embarrassingly conflating it with Jaws, too. But hey, I'm new to the J! cannon, so I'll learn from my blind spot in turn-of-the-century French history. I'm 99% sure it wasn't covered in my AP Euro class way back in 1994, which concluded my formal study of non-American history.
I've been seeing this mistake a few times lately ... it is 'canon' with a single n, not the device you use to mow down your enemies.
In the event I ever get the call, I am going to preemptively trademark my nickname, the Jeopardy! Cannon
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

jeff6286 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:53 pm
In the event I ever get the call, I am going to preemptively trademark my nickname, the Jeopardy! Cannon
When's the website going live? :)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:32 am
DBear wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:14 pm Didn't think it was possible to get Zola w/o Dreyfus, but what do I know?
It's not surprising to me. The name Zola came to me right away. It took a few more seconds to get to Zola. I could see myself blanking on it under the lights.
J'accuse!
Going from that DJ round into the GOAT Tournament was a bit of a contrast.
Took the words right outta my mouth, Kirk.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Woof wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:46 pm
It's not surprising to me. The name Zola came to me right away. It took a few more seconds to get to Zola. I could see myself blanking on it under the lights.
J'accuse!
Oops, I meant Dreyfus. See, even now I can't remember him!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

The Jeopardy! cannon is the list of responses they expect you to know where they won't penalize you for doubling one of the letters even though that's the wrong spelling.

Dreyfuss is cannon. Dreyfus is canon. And Frederick Douglas is caon.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:49 pm
The Jeopardy! cannon is the list of responses they expect you to know where they won't penalize you for doubling one of the letters even though that's the wrong spelling.

Dreyfuss is cannon. Dreyfus is canon. And Frederick Douglas is caon.
And D A Bm F#m G D G A is Canon in D (rinse and repeat 22 times)
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 33,400
47 R/2 W
LT: bison, endorse, GLOW, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, Montreal Island (DD), Cole Porter, Ludwig van Beethoven, Martha Washington
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:04 am It took Shaun 13 clues to get on the board. By clue 29 he was in good shape with 4600 and DD1 in TV HOMES & ADDRESSES. All in? Nope. 400. That got him all the way up to still in second, behind Lisa's 5200.
It might well have cost him the game. All else being equal, that additional $4200 moves him just short of breaking the lock. However, his approach in DJ! might have been a bit different had he entered the round with a $3,000 lead.
It's not surprising to me. The name Zola came to me right away. It took a few more seconds to get to Dreyfus. I could see myself blanking on it under the lights.
Same. The fact that the incident is known as "the Dreyfus affair" was the saving grace for me.
Sprinkles are for winners.