Wednesday, January 8, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, January 8, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, January 8, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
EUROPEAN HISTORY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
It took the French Army until 1995 to declare him innocent, 101 years after he was convicted of treason

Lisa Warne-Magro: 13800-4000=9800 (2x = 24,500)
Rachel Kline: 4200-401=3799
Shaun Gold: 2300+0=2300

Correct response:
Spoiler
Alfred Dreyfus (Lisa – not Emile Zola) (Rachel – Arnold)

Daily Doubles
Shaun: 4600+400
Shaun: 7000-1500
Lisa: 8200+2000

Coryats
Lisa: 13800
Rachel: 4200
Shaun: 4200

Combined: 22,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Lisa: 6200
Rachel: 3000
Shaun: 5000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It took Shaun 13 clues to get on the board. By clue 29 he was in good shape with 4600 and DD1 in TV HOMES & ADDRESSES. All in? Nope. 400. That got him all the way up to still in second, behind Lisa's 5200.

The J! round was a respectable 14600 combined Coryat. That means the combined Coryat for the DJ! round was an awful 7600. Let Karen know the athlete yesterday and she is a lock for being a 10-time champ after today.

Shaun went for a Austin Rogers-esque introduction with either texting or video game playing.

The FJ! category was so wide open I did not bother playing the precall game while for those who did it's easily possible to be correct before seeing the clue.

Lisa once again was sniffing around the right idea though not there. It would have been more funny if she had bet zero. With $4000 lost it was not as humorous. If you get to one guy then it's strange not to be able to get the other name wanted.

Shaun had a chance to make his sole solve pay off for an extra grand while instead he let Rachel keep it.

My advice to the players is to take a day off from social media. There is a field day of triple stumpers that will generate comments.

So many contestants went on J! and caught a bad break in draw or material that left them quickly off the stage while if there today would have been a whole different story.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I notice there's something squeehunky about the numbering of today's game in the Archive, some kind of conflict with the GOAT games it looks like.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:46 pm I notice there's something squeehunky about the numbering of today's game in the Archive, some kind of conflict with the GOAT games it looks like.
Yes, I did the "make this today's game" and it gave me a 3 thinking it was GOAT that I did not notice until your post. Should be fixed now.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Alex's reference to Arnold Stang during the FJ reveal was hilarious to me. But, what the heck else could he say?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I was expecting Shaun to be a little more freewheeling in his game play. It started out that way as he went right to the bottom of the board the first time he had control. But then he makes a small bet on the TV DD and bets zero when in a crushed third place. Rachel made the right bet to take home the extra grand.

Instaget FJ, though I wasn’t 100% certain he was the one but couldn’t remember Zola’s name. Guess I would have said “Not Dreyfus” if they had flipped the clue.

I thought Arnold was going towards Benedict Arnold.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:04 am If you get to one guy then it's strange not to be able to get the other name wanted.
Of course, there's my problem of not being able to keep which was which straight. It took me two seconds to figure this was the annual Dreyfus Affair FJ, then twenty to decide on one of the two names. I got it right for once. I may have finally sorted this out.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

squarekara wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:35 pm Alex's reference to Arnold Stang during the FJ reveal was hilarious to me. But, what the heck else could he say?
Matthew Arnold came to me before Trebek's references. I only know of Arnold Stang from seeing him on What's My Line?

Alex could have given the right age group of TV viewers a laugh with Arnold Ziffel.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I don’t care which way she leans politically, but I wish she had said who she got to speak at her college.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat 34,200 (38R, 1W)
DD 2/3
FJ :mrgreen:

I felt off kilter throughout the game, then my Coryat turned out okay. FJ was classic Jeopardy fare. Fourth podium victory for me today: 8800 in LT plus correct FJ.
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

Coryat: $37,800 (47R, 0W)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: endorse, GLOW, Montreal (DD), Serbia & Croatia, Beethoven, Tchiakovsky

That was painful to watch.

Thought I might be heading for a new PB after J! ($17,000, 28/30), but DJ put a quick end to those thoughts. Poets was particularly difficult, as it always seems to be.

No idea on FJ. I’d heard of the Dreyfus Affair but know nothing else about it.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Didn't think it was possible to get Zola w/o Dreyfus, but what do I know?
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Very mild GOAT-Day 2 spoiler....
Spoiler
I was confused that they had an "Amadeus means Mozart" movie clue in game one of GOAT, and then asked for "Amadeus" in game two of GOAT....but, oops, the "Amadeus" was the non-GOAT J! episode. Oddly enough, once I understood the "composers in film" category, I precalled Amadeus.
I'd heard the phrase "Dreyfuss Affair", but thought it was a 70s political movie - probably embarrassingly conflating it with Jaws, too. But hey, I'm new to the J! cannon, so I'll learn from my blind spot in turn-of-the-century French history. I'm 99% sure it wasn't covered in my AP Euro class way back in 1994, which concluded my formal study of non-American history.

I guess I get being disappointed that you're not going to win, and just giving up and betting 0, but...hey, if you're locked out of winning, why not play for the extra $1000 in consolation money? It would pay for a few nights out on the town seeing a concert or something. Theoretically, Rachel won't bet more than $401. (BTW, shouldn't it be $400? A tie would mean you revert to DJ! scores, meaning Rachel wins in a tie.) So, you, as a crushed Shaun, need to hope for her to lose that $400 to get a score of $3800. So, why not bet the $1501 to get $3801 in case you get a singleton correct answer? I'll admit - wagering situations when all 3 players are "in play" can be complicated. But when one player is out of the mix, it ought to be covered in J!-101.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:14 pm I don’t care which way she leans politically, but I wish she had said who she got to speak at her college.
I agree, but then we wouldn't have had Alex guessing Adlai Stevenson. So it feels like we made out ok.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I found Shaun a bit much to take initially. But by the end, he'd grown on me and I was sorry to see him go. I'm glad he made the most of his one time on, even though the boards and the buzzer didn't let him put together a win.

I'm amazed that all the clues got revealed. This was definitely an easier DJ round for me than for the players. I ran QUOTING POETS and FILM COMPOSERS. For the latter category, the only clue to elicit a correct response was the easiest one "'Amadeus': Tom Hulce as him". So when the $2000 clue was called for, I pre-called not the correct response but what I thought the clue would be: "'Amadeus': F. Murray Abraham as him".
Spoiler
Who is Antonio Salieri?
Alas, it was not to be.

I did not realize Montreal was (or was on) an island until the last time this fact came up on Jeopardy!. This time I was ready.

Alfred Dreyfus and/or Émile Zola and/or J'Accuse…! show up regularly in FJ clues. Every aspiring contestant should know them cold.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Today, Lisa looked like the rhythm guitarist of the Kentucky Headhunters in drag.

Ran "B"easts and Sparkling.

0/5 in 1995. I saw no way to figure out "balloon" in the top box.

Strangely, "Glow" in the top box was my only NHOI and miss in TV Homes & Addresses.

All but "groats" in Milk.

I, too, was dead-sure it was "gently" and not "gentle" for the "into that good night" clue.

I had FJ! down as a "no" before I had even seen the clue. Correct response is unfamiliar to me.

Lach Trash: bison, endorse, My Little Pony, Martha Washington
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (GLOW was my only miss.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Bison, Endorse, My Little Pony, Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Things Fall Apart, (Montreal), Croatia & Serbia, Ile de la Cite, Cole Porter, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Dmitri Shostakovich, Martha Washington, Sequoyah

For Mark Barrett: For the Sequoyah clue, you misspelled his name as Sequoia.
Douglas Squasoni
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:21 pm
Bamaman wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:14 pm I don’t care which way she leans politically, but I wish she had said who she got to speak at her college.
I agree, but then we wouldn't have had Alex guessing Adlai Stevenson. So it feels like we made out ok.
I got the vibe that she was contractually obligated to stay CLAM about it, probably by the University, not the Politico who always wants publicity.

I hope Lisa can up her FJ game as I have followed her twice into oblivion. I guessed Zola and knew it was the other name but I wouldn't have written down "not Zola" to show how dumb I'm not :lol: . I thought this game would bring up a Penguin Poll, but I only had a shot at 3 of the Lach Trash/whatevers and clammed two of them.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.