GOAT Tournament Day 2 (1/8/20) Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bigdogstalfos
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: GOAT Tournament Day 2 (1/8/20) Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Bigdogstalfos »

boson wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:07 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:59 am
alietr wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:55 am Can someone tell me how they got to Communist Manifesto from the clue? I had nothing.
Famous European document from the 19th century that seemed to be pointing to shaking up the existing system is what got me there. I wasn't super confident, but couldn't think of anything else that fit.
I think you had to recognize Metternich and/or Guizot to get you to the 19th century. Otherwise, it was an influential (probably European) document of indeterminate age.
The use of “spectre” is what got me zeroed in and Metternich confirmed it. The relatively famous first line is “There is a spectre haunting Europe.” I actually pre-called the answer when the category came up. My wife was significantly less excited about that landing than I was.

And on the second FJ, Joel Barlow was a member of a group called the Hartford Wits that were occasional high-level ACF fodder back when I was on the Quiz Bowl circuit. So, it was possible to brute force it to get to the US before the U.K. and then to Madison because he was short (Thanks, books of random presidential facts I was into back in elementary school).
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:55 am Can someone tell me how they got to Communist Manifesto from the clue? I had nothing.
Famous European document from the 19th century that seemed to be pointing to shaking up the existing system is what got me there. I wasn't super confident, but couldn't think of anything else that fit.
I think you had to recognize Metternich and/or Guizot to get you to the 19th century. Otherwise, it was an influential (probably European) document of indeterminate age.
Good point. I was thinking 19th century was specified somewhere. I guess I was conflating it with the FJ from the second game.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ratings from Marc Berman's "Programming Insider"

8:00 p.m. ABC – Jeopardy! Tournament of Champions Viewers: 14.35 million (#1), A18-49: 2.2/11 (#1)

CBS – Undercover Boss (season premiere) Viewers: 4.26 million (#3), A18-49: 0.6/ 3 (#2)

NBC – Chicago Med Viewers: 7.35 million (#2), A18-49: 1.1/ 6 (#2)

Fox – Flirty Dancing Viewers: 1.51 million (#4), A18-49: 0.3/ 2 (#4)

CW – Riverdale (R) Viewers: 481,000 (#5), A18-49: 0.1/ 1 (#5)

8:30 p.m. ABC – Jeopardy! Tournament of Champions Viewers: 15.29 million (#1), A18-49: 2.5/12 (#1)

CBS – Undercover Boss (season premiere) Viewers: 4.21 million (#3), A18-49: 0.7/ 3 (#2)

NBC – Chicago Med Viewers: 7.47 million (#2), A18-49: 1.1/ 5 (#2)

Fox – Flirty Dancing Viewers: 1.33 million (#4), A18-49: 0.3/ 1 (#4)

CW – Riverdale (R) Viewers: 347,000 (#5), A18-49: 0.1/ 0 (#5)
doglet
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by doglet »

Bigdogstalfos wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:15 pm
The use of “spectre” is what got me zeroed in and Metternich confirmed it. The relatively famous first line is “There is a spectre haunting Europe.” I actually pre-called the answer when the category came up. My wife was significantly less excited about that landing than I was.

And on the second FJ, Joel Barlow was a member of a group called the Hartford Wits that were occasional high-level ACF fodder back when I was on the Quiz Bowl circuit. So, it was possible to brute force it to get to the US before the U.K. and then to Madison because he was short (Thanks, books of random presidential facts I was into back in elementary school).
Same. Spectre was the key.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Ditto. I said The Prince just to have something.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Thr first line of the Communist Manifesto is one of the most famous lines in all political writing:

“A spectre is haunting Europe - the spectre of communism.”
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Austin Powers wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:53 pm
Thr first line of the Communist Manifesto is one of the most famous lines in all political writing:

“A spectre is haunting Europe - the spectre of communism.”
I guess I'm a good capitalist. Never read it, and didn't recognize the reference to a spectre. Live and learn!
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:53 am

For FJ #2 I had Napoleon and King George III. I blame the Bugs Bunny where he "teaches" his nephew Clyde about American History for making me think George III was short. :D
KGIII died in 1820. Don't know about Napoleon, but I think he came later.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

I failed to come up with Madison-Napoleon because I lingered too long trying to think of a short world leader to match up with Queen Victoria, who was often derided by the "loyal opposition" for her less-than-imposing stature.
Leander

Post by Leander »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:17 pm

For FJ #2 I had Napoleon and King George III. I blame the Bugs Bunny where he "teaches" his nephew Clyde about American History for making me think George III was short. :D
Nope. Battle of Waterloo in 1815 ended his career.

I kept trying to match up Napoleon with a European, even though Joel Barlow did not sound like a European diplomat’s name.
pinkfreud
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by pinkfreud »

History is not my strongest area, but sometimes I get some unexpected help from a pop culture source. The Napoleon/Madison connection instantly came to mind because I am a fan of the Bruce Campbell television series Jack of All Trades, in which Napoleon was played by the incomparable Verne Troyer.
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

For FJ!, my mind immediately leapt to Napoleon who was well know as being short. Fortunately, I then started thinking of US presidents also know to be short around that time. I first thought of John Adams, but realized he was too early. Then I thought of Martin Van Buren, who was too late. I knew that Madison was short, too, so that's where I ended up. In addition, I thought (but wasn't sure) that Napoleon didn't take power until after 1800 and was sure that this would have to be a president prior to Waterloo in 1815. That only leaves Jefferson and Madison. Jefferson was tall (6' 2") so that only left Madison as a possibility (assuming the clue was referring to an American president).
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Leander wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:49 pm
MDCSWildcats86 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:17 pm

Nope. Battle of Waterloo in 1815 ended his career.
Yeah, I would have assumed things like Wikipedia and Google would be known to people who post here, but apparently not...
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

Not sure if something about this has been posted yet.

In match 1, Ken had the functional equivalent of leading in a 2/3 game. He would win if he got FJ! OR James missed it. In match 2, James was ahead in a non-2/3 game. So, if he made the normal lockout wager (which of course he was going to do with his FJ! record), he was going to win as long as he got FJ! and lose if he didn't.
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

jeopardyfan939 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:15 pm And by the way, it was Bleeding Fingers Music who scored the music package for GOAT.
More like Bleeding Ears Music, in my insignificant opinion.
--
Drowning in the pool
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

slam wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:24 pm Not sure if something about this has been posted yet.

In match 1, Ken had the functional equivalent of leading in a 2/3 game. He would win if he got FJ! OR James missed it. In match 2, James was ahead in a non-2/3 game. So, if he made the normal lockout wager (which of course he was going to do with his FJ! record), he was going to win as long as he got FJ! and lose if he didn't.
The first match was a crush lead by Ken; the second match was a 3/4 (functional equivalent) lead by James.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

pinkfreud wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:58 pm History is not my strongest area, but sometimes I get some unexpected help from a pop culture source. The Napoleon/Madison connection instantly came to mind because I am a fan of the Bruce Campbell television series Jack of All Trades, in which Napoleon was played by the incomparable Verne Troyer.
Napoleon was short, but that's overkill.
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:27 pm
slam wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:24 pm Not sure if something about this has been posted yet.

The first match was a crush lead by Ken; the second match was a 3/4 (functional equivalent) lead by James.
We're saying the same thing (though you added the 3/4 part). When I said leading in a 2/3 game, I meant (as is clear by my description) that I really meant what you are, correctly, calling a crush game. I haven't thought that much about wagering lately, so I'm sorry for pulling the wrong word.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

ParrotRob wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:18 pm
jeopardyfan939 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:15 pm And by the way, it was Bleeding Fingers Music who scored the music package for GOAT.
More like Bleeding Ears Music, in my insignificant opinion.
I believe this arrangement of the Jeopardy! music is heavy sounding because of the tournament featuring the three legends going head to head (GOAT is a lot more prestigious than a regular ToC). But if TPTB decide to retire the current music package on the regular version after Season 36 wraps up, I hope they won't use the GOAT arrangement for Season 37.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

alietr wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:29 pm
pinkfreud wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:58 pm History is not my strongest area, but sometimes I get some unexpected help from a pop culture source. The Napoleon/Madison connection instantly came to mind because I am a fan of the Bruce Campbell television series Jack of All Trades, in which Napoleon was played by the incomparable Verne Troyer.
Napoleon was short, but that's overkill.
Or was he?