GOAT Tournament Day 3 (1/9/20) Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

User avatar
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool
Posts: 1811
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: GOAT Tournament Day 3 (1/9/20) Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by triviawayne »

In part 1, Alex said they started writing before he finished reading the clue.

Is this really possible? Does this mean contestants have more than 30 seconds to write their answers?

I don't suspect this would often be of any consequence, but would be good to know.
Total game show career losings = $171,522

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 10697
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: GOAT Tournament Day 3 (1/9/20) Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett »

triviawayne wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:51 pm
In part 1, Alex said they started writing before he finished reading the clue.

Is this really possible? Does this mean contestants have more than 30 seconds to write their answers?

I don't suspect this would often be of any consequence, but would be good to know.
[Wobbles cane and speaks in creaky voice] Back in aught five, yes. The FJ! clue was revealed and the pens were activated. I was writing Coleridge well before Alex finished reading.

Present day? I've read about the change where contestants can now erase a wager before locking it in while when I walked to the studio five miles in the snow it was dollar sign and numbers and once you began that was it.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 6816
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: GOAT Tournament Day 3 (1/9/20) Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

Robert K S wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:10 pm
alietr wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:28 am
Nope, he just drifted away I suppose. Hasn't been on in nearly two years. I can't say I'm unhappy about that.
I mean... should we check obits?
I just found a comment he made on a post on the Facebook page of "It's Academic" six months ago, and his most recent tweet (directed at Constance McCashin, as most of his tweets are) was in August. (I don't know if anyone else here is aware of his identity, but in the wake of Leonard Cooper's Teen Tournament win he posted with his FB account in the comments of an article about it, and Stephanie Jass, having seen my interaction with him on the board on the same topic, directed me to it in a PM. Between having a name and a face to go with his posts, and the negative responses in the J!Board thread from posters who are better people than I am, I now feel gross about having egged him on.)

Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1805
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:27 pm

Re: GOAT Tournament Day 3 (1/9/20) Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Golf »

triviawayne wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:51 pm
In part 1, Alex said they started writing before he finished reading the clue.

Is this really possible? Does this mean contestants have more than 30 seconds to write their answers?

I don't suspect this would often be of any consequence, but would be good to know.
It's no different from a regular clue, the clue pops into the monitor the players can see when chosen and Alex starts to read. And this is why players listen to the intonation of Alex's voice and attempt to time the last word. Because they've finished reading the clue long ago.

Those few seconds can be a huge advantage for somebody who can inhale and comprehend the entire clue quickly. It's also why Eddie Timanus' run was so incredible because he did not have that advantage.

So since the time doesn't start until the entire clue is read, the players actually have more than 30 seconds to write their answers.

But I don't think this information is written in the official Jeopardy rule set. :lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool
Posts: 1811
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: GOAT Tournament Day 3 (1/9/20) Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by triviawayne »

Golf wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:53 pm
triviawayne wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:51 pm
In part 1, Alex said they started writing before he finished reading the clue.

Is this really possible? Does this mean contestants have more than 30 seconds to write their answers?

I don't suspect this would often be of any consequence, but would be good to know.
It's no different from a regular clue, the clue pops into the monitor the players can see when chosen and Alex starts to read. And this is why players listen to the intonation of Alex's voice and attempt to time the last word. Because they've finished reading the clue long ago.

Those few seconds can be a huge advantage for somebody who can inhale and comprehend the entire clue quickly. It's also why Eddie Timanus' run was so incredible because he did not have that advantage.

So since the time doesn't start until the entire clue is read, the players actually have more than 30 seconds to write their answers.

But I don't think this information is written in the official Jeopardy rule set. :lol: :lol: :lol:
When they finally have me on, I'll read those papers and let you know :twisted:
Total game show career losings = $171,522

ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:33 pm

Re: GOAT Tournament Day 3 (1/9/20) Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by ParrotRob »

Roadgeek Adam wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:31 pm
Ratings are in, 15.4 million watched Day 3's match. Second straight jump, now more ratings than NBC/FOX/CBS combined in timeslot.
Based on a random(ish) sample of comments on J! social media posts, there seem to be several million people who required 2-3 episodes to even figure out what channel it's being broadcast on.
--
Drowning in the pool

User avatar
AFRET CMS
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1045
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:48 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: GOAT Tournament Day 3 (1/9/20) Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by AFRET CMS »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:07 pm
triviawayne wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:51 pm
In part 1, Alex said they started writing before he finished reading the clue.

Is this really possible? Does this mean contestants have more than 30 seconds to write their answers?

I don't suspect this would often be of any consequence, but would be good to know.
[Wobbles cane and speaks in creaky voice] Back in aught five, yes. The FJ! clue was revealed and the pens were activated. I was writing Coleridge well before Alex finished reading.

Present day? I've read about the change where contestants can now erase a wager before locking it in while when I walked to the studio five miles in the snow it was dollar sign and numbers and once you began that was it.
If I recall correctly, as of three years ago, the wager was changeable until it wasn't. The technology doesn't allow contestants to unwrite what's on the screen, but if a mistake was made contestants could ask to have the screen erased so they could re-write the correct wager -- until they verbally committed. At that time, the wager was locked and the scratch paper and pen used for calculations was confiscated. I think it was a "is that your final answer?" scenario.

Also, depending on my recall, I believe we were told that the pens would not become active until AT was done reading the question. I did not test that. I had no FJ instagets, so for me, the light pen didn't see any use until several seconds into the think music.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.

User avatar
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1862
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:26 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: GOAT Tournament Day 3 (1/9/20) Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Robert K S »

I think you can start writing whenever you want--maybe even before the clue is revealed, but certainly as soon as it is. Many contestants complete their responses before Alex finishes reading.

slam
Auditioning Since 1985
Posts: 256
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:05 pm

Re: GOAT Tournament Day 3 (1/9/20) Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by slam »

Last night, Ken made a comment about being able to say "OK Boomer" to Alex. But Alex is not a member of the baby boomer generation. Although the exact years of birth for boomers can vary a little bit, I've never seen 1940, his year of birth, included in such a range.
Last edited by slam on Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slam
Auditioning Since 1985
Posts: 256
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:05 pm

Re: GOAT Tournament Day 3 (1/9/20) Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by slam »

We've now seen the equivalent of a crush (match 1), a 2/3 game (match 2) and a lock (match 3).

Ken had the crush and the lock while James just managed the 2/3 game. With his FJ! record, though, a 2/3 game is almost as good as a lock. :D

talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 606
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:59 am

Re: GOAT Tournament Day 3 (1/9/20) Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by talkingaway »

I always assumed that they didn't allow for erasures, given the large number of cross-outs seen - but why? Some legal reason? Are they afraid some contestant will hit "clear" accidentally? (Now that I think about it, that's probably it.) Microsoft Paint has a "clear" button. The technology is there.

I literally watched one Steve Coogan movie last week - Stan and Ollie - and am in the middle of one right now - Ideal Home. Even so, it took me a few seconds to get his name, but I definitely got it in time to buzz in.

I'm not a computer expert by any means, but it's certainly close to a wheelhouse for me, so I wasn't too scared of cybersecurity. My first category run of the GOAT tournament, and it's in a category with two Triple Stumpers. I thought "white hat" was hard for a top row clue, and BYOD was way too easy for a middle row clue. I mean, BYOB is Bring Your Own Bottle, so they're essentially spotting you three words, and the D seems easy to figure out. I also thought "keylogger" was a fairly commonly known term - I can't remember any "cybercrime" movies that feature them specifically, but it seems like a fairly easy plot device to insert.

Did anyone notice that Kristin on Monday's episode of regular J! responded "I'm Ok, You're Ok" for a FJ! clue, when it was a correct response today? Weird coincidence, or did she get to watch the GOAT tourney?

I was happy Christopher Plummer was slow in delivering clues - I definitely needed the extra time to dig out Jason Robards.

No more category plugs for ABC shows? Good riddens.

slam
Auditioning Since 1985
Posts: 256
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:05 pm

Re: GOAT Tournament Day 3 (1/9/20) Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by slam »

Although I agree with James' sentiment of his FJ! response, I didn't like his particular choice in expressing it.

Calling someone suffering from a potentially fatal disease a "GHOST", however well-intended, doesn't sit well with me.

slam
Auditioning Since 1985
Posts: 256
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:05 pm

Re: GOAT Tournament Day 3 (1/9/20) Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by slam »

talkingaway wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:53 pm
I always assumed that they didn't allow for erasures, given the large number of cross-outs seen - but why? Some legal reason? Are they afraid some contestant will hit "clear" accidentally? (Now that I think about it, that's probably it.) Microsoft Paint has a "clear" button. The technology is there.

I literally watched one Steve Coogan movie last week - Stan and Ollie - and am in the middle of one right now - Ideal Home. Even so, it took me a few seconds to get his name, but I definitely got it in time to buzz in.

I'm not a computer expert by any means, but it's certainly close to a wheelhouse for me, so I wasn't too scared of cybersecurity. My first category run of the GOAT tournament, and it's in a category with two Triple Stumpers. I thought "white hat" was hard for a top row clue, and BYOD was way too easy for a middle row clue. I mean, BYOB is Bring Your Own Bottle, so they're essentially spotting you three words, and the D seems easy to figure out. I also thought "keylogger" was a fairly commonly known term - I can't remember any "cybercrime" movies that feature them specifically, but it seems like a fairly easy plot device to insert.

Did anyone notice that Kristin on Monday's episode of regular J! responded "I'm Ok, You're Ok" for a FJ! clue, when it was a correct response today? Weird coincidence, or did she get to watch the GOAT tourney?

I was happy Christopher Plummer was slow in delivering clues - I definitely needed the extra time to dig out Jason Robards.

No more category plugs for ABC shows? Good riddens.
One of my sons works in cybersecurity. So, I've been hearing these terms on a regular basis. However, I still missed keylogger.

User avatar
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1726
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:18 pm
Location: Tornado Alley / Southwest Missouri

Re: GOAT Tournament Day 3 (1/9/20) Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by twelvefootboy »

slam wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:56 pm
talkingaway wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:53 pm
I always assumed that they didn't allow for erasures, given the large number of cross-outs seen - but why? Some legal reason? Are they afraid some contestant will hit "clear" accidentally? (Now that I think about it, that's probably it.) Microsoft Paint has a "clear" button. The technology is there.

I literally watched one Steve Coogan movie last week - Stan and Ollie - and am in the middle of one right now - Ideal Home. Even so, it took me a few seconds to get his name, but I definitely got it in time to buzz in.

I'm not a computer expert by any means, but it's certainly close to a wheelhouse for me, so I wasn't too scared of cybersecurity. My first category run of the GOAT tournament, and it's in a category with two Triple Stumpers. I thought "white hat" was hard for a top row clue, and BYOD was way too easy for a middle row clue. I mean, BYOB is Bring Your Own Bottle, so they're essentially spotting you three words, and the D seems easy to figure out. I also thought "keylogger" was a fairly commonly known term - I can't remember any "cybercrime" movies that feature them specifically, but it seems like a fairly easy plot device to insert.

Did anyone notice that Kristin on Monday's episode of regular J! responded "I'm Ok, You're Ok" for a FJ! clue, when it was a correct response today? Weird coincidence, or did she get to watch the GOAT tourney?

I was happy Christopher Plummer was slow in delivering clues - I definitely needed the extra time to dig out Jason Robards.

No more category plugs for ABC shows? Good riddens.
One of my sons works in cybersecurity. So, I've been hearing these terms on a regular basis. However, I still missed keylogger.
I rank White Hat as easier than keylogger, but you have to come by it from reading/hearing discussions on the subject. Keyloggers, password stealers, and slave computers appear in news stories and hype.
I don't think these three players will just guess at a D word without some familiarity of the phrase. I have never seen the phrase, and "Device" doesn't Pavlov for "D". It could stand for Data, or Dew (Mountain Dew, especially Code Red, lol..), or even "Date"(what was I thinking :lol: )
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.

User avatar
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool
Posts: 1811
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: GOAT Tournament Day 3 (1/9/20) Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by triviawayne »

AFRET CMS wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:06 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:07 pm
triviawayne wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:51 pm
In part 1, Alex said they started writing before he finished reading the clue.

Is this really possible? Does this mean contestants have more than 30 seconds to write their answers?

I don't suspect this would often be of any consequence, but would be good to know.
[Wobbles cane and speaks in creaky voice] Back in aught five, yes. The FJ! clue was revealed and the pens were activated. I was writing Coleridge well before Alex finished reading.

Present day? I've read about the change where contestants can now erase a wager before locking it in while when I walked to the studio five miles in the snow it was dollar sign and numbers and once you began that was it.
If I recall correctly, as of three years ago, the wager was changeable until it wasn't. The technology doesn't allow contestants to unwrite what's on the screen, but if a mistake was made contestants could ask to have the screen erased so they could re-write the correct wager -- until they verbally committed. At that time, the wager was locked and the scratch paper and pen used for calculations was confiscated. I think it was a "is that your final answer?" scenario.

Also, depending on my recall, I believe we were told that the pens would not become active until AT was done reading the question. I did not test that. I had no FJ instagets, so for me, the light pen didn't see any use until several seconds into the think music.
That might be a matter of light pens in days of yore vs. stylus in the modern era. Although I’m sure they could turn off the pad, but then turning all three on is just something else that could go wrong and it’s unnecessary because an instaget is still an instaget.
Total game show career losings = $171,522

QuizGeek75
Valued Contributor
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:22 pm
Location: Denver

Re: GOAT Tournament Day 3 (1/9/20) Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by QuizGeek75 »

slam wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:53 pm
Although I agree with James' sentiment of his FJ! response, I didn't like his particular choice in expressing it.

Calling someone suffering from a potentially fatal disease a "GHOST", however well-intended, doesn't sit well with me.
I agree on that statement because it did sound like Alex was irked with that response, even he did try to write Pat's name down.
Just a person who loves game shows.

User avatar
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire
Posts: 1207
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:27 pm

Re: GOAT Tournament Day 3 (1/9/20) Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by trainman »

slam wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:38 pm
Last night, Ken made a comment about being able to say "OK Boomer" to Alex. But Alex is not a member of the baby boomer generation. Although the exact years of birth for boomers can vary a little bit, I've never seen 1940, his year of birth, included in such a range.
"ok boomer" doesn't literally indicate that the person being insulted is a Baby Boomer.

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 4953
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: GOAT Tournament Day 3 (1/9/20) Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by This Is Kirk! »

slam wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:38 pm
Last night, Ken made a comment about being able to say "OK Boomer" to Alex. But Alex is not a member of the baby boomer generation. Although the exact years of birth for boomers can vary a little bit, I've never seen 1940, his year of birth, included in such a range.
Yeah, but part of the joke in the "OK, Boomer" thing is it's said to anyone older whether or not they are actually a boomer. Usually it's someone not old enough to be an actual boomer, but in the case of Alex it's someone too old to be a boomer!

[edit: beat by trainman :)]

CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:57 am

Re: GOAT Tournament Day 3 (1/9/20) Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

As much a fan of James as I am, it's getting hard to deny that Ken is easily the GOAT player based off his performances so far. I may not really care for him as much as I do James or Brad, but objectively speaking, damn, he truly is something else.

Of course Brad or James could easily turn things around here, but as of now, it seems like Ken is the one who is going to be most likely to take the crown. I suppose it's fitting given that he was the earliest of these 3 players to be thought of as being "the greatest".

polaris
Contributor
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:09 pm

Re: GOAT Tournament Day 3 (1/9/20) Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by polaris »

Interesting FJ...

I have said before there is no Oscar-related question that Jeopardy! would ask that I wouldn't get (I don't know, something about facts about Oscars just sticks in my head like glue, I wish all information, especially more important information, was that easily assimilated), and that still remains true, but damn, that's a deep question. "21st century" being part of the clue was neither helpful nor unhelpful to me since I knew it anyways, but a rather interesting fact is that over half of the Best Director Oscars this century went to foreign born people.

Not a bad guess from Ken but a bit of a trap since Iñárritu received some notice for winning the Picture/Director/Screenplay trifecta for Birdman.

Honestly, after the absolutely disgraceful job they did in the first game of the BotD Final, where they both whiffed on a college-championship level question (if they had wanted both, it would have been a more reasonable question because, unlike The Silence of the Lambs, which is well known for winning all the big 5, including Actor and Actress, As Good As It Gets is not often cited for trivia purposes to my knowledge) (particularly annoying since Ken considers himself am Oscar guy, and in his original run his biggest DD best were on such questions, and had no guess at all; meanwhile Brad pulls out the not-terrible guess of Terms of Endearment, which of course only won Supporting Actor, and was just outside of the timeframe of the question, not a bad guess, but who the hell thinks of that but not The Silence of the Lambs? incidentally, fun fact, that is the only film with two nominations for Best LEAD Actress and two for Best SUPPORTING Actor), I am glad Ken did well on this one this time.

Yes, I am glad Ken did well - still rooting for James though of course.

And I wonder if Brad & James knew and just used the fact they were locked out to have fun, or if they had a guess, or if they had no idea. Guess we'll never know.

Post Reply