Monday, January 13, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Re: Monday, January 13, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 35,600
45 R/5 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Avon (DD), Crystal Palace, Peter Benchley (DD)
talkingaway wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:02 pm Honestly, I thought "Exodus" was a bit too easy, but after just posting in reddit explaining that FJ!s are not necessarily harder than bottom row clues, I just went with it.
It's not just that they're not necessarily harder; they are altogether a different kind of test. Answering a bottom-row clue generally requires somewhat deep knowledge of the subject matter at hand. Answering a FJ!, OTOH, is generally more about keying in on the hint(s) embedded within the clue.
Sprinkles are for winners.
billiej
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by billiej »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:50 pm
Was it just me or did Katie seem to be getting emotionally upset on the Avon DD?

You could practically see her mentally coin-flipping between Avon and Mary Kay. I figured she was upset with herself for going the wrong way.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:28 am Speaking of James, I'm not a James H. fanboy, but I cringe when Alex says "Jeopardy James". I can't imagine he wants to embrace that, it just seems icky to me :roll: .
And I'm sure there are sources out there who called James "Jeopardy James" during his run, but Alex acts like this was in widespread usage and I don't think it was. It's a little like the movie Mean Girls where one of the characters tries to make "fetch" a thing. :)

I whiffed on FJ. I came up with The Maccabees for no good reason. Turns out there are two Maccabees books, anyway.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

Did it seem a little odd that they used the word "summer" as part of a clue for the solution "summer camp"? "Seasonal" might've made it a little more challenging.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

billiej wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:04 am
Bamaman wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:50 pm
Was it just me or did Katie seem to be getting emotionally upset on the Avon DD?

You could practically see her mentally coin-flipping between Avon and Mary Kay. I figured she was upset with herself for going the wrong way.
That was exactly how it looked to me as well. Standard 50/50/90 exasperation.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Toothsome, (Avon), International Style, Crystal Palace, (Peter Benchley), Orbit
Douglas Squasoni
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:29 pm Ran "Some", Television, and Water Music.

0/5 in Recognizing the Country. Any reason I should recognize Argentina at $200 with nothing but its size? That amorphous blob could be any country, and the "compare with the size of the US" gimmick was massively distracting by removing any context.
The size was secondary. The shapes of the countries were key to solving those. A good Jeopardy player would recognize most of the countries in the world by their shapes alone. So run that up your flagpole mr. Point to your hand Michigan.

I think they made an error on the question about the technology that was unveiled at comdex in 1999. TiVo is a brand of DVR and was introduced in 1999 so it should have been acceptable. That means the future doc wouldn't have been penalized and Veronica wouldn't have gained. I'm not sure it would have been enough to prevent her run away.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
davey

Post by davey »

floridagator wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:25 pm

I think they made an error on the question about the technology that was unveiled at comdex in 1999. TiVo is a brand of DVR and was introduced in 1999 so it should have been acceptable. That means the future doc wouldn't have been penalized and Veronica wouldn't have gained. I'm not sure it would have been enough to prevent her run away.
The clue specifically referred to another brand and "this technology," so it's clear why Tivo was wrong...
At the 1999 Las Vegas Consumer Electronics Show, ReplayTV won a best in show prize for unveiling this technology
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

davey wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:03 am
floridagator wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:25 pm

The clue specifically referred to another brand and "this technology," so it's clear why Tivo was wrong...
At the 1999 Las Vegas Consumer Electronics Show, ReplayTV won a best in show prize for unveiling this technology
Yup, about 15 years ago I would have empathized with that mistake, since TiVo was by far the largest company that made DVRs, so TiVo was almost a genericized trademark, like Kleenex or Jacuzzi. You'd TiVo programs, even if they weren't on a TiVo-brand DVR.

Now, with most cable/fiber optic/satellite companies offering their own DVRs, and the elimination of VCRs, it's back to either "record", or occasionally "DVR", so DVR should now be on the tip of the tongue for a modern TV recording device, not TiVo.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

talkingaway wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:49 am Now, with most cable/fiber optic/satellite companies offering their own DVRs, and the elimination of VCRs, it's back to either "record", or occasionally "DVR", so DVR should now be on the tip of the tongue for a modern TV recording device, not TiVo.
My mom used to say that she would "tape" something on the DVR.
billiej

Post by billiej »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:26 am
talkingaway wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:49 am Now, with most cable/fiber optic/satellite companies offering their own DVRs, and the elimination of VCRs, it's back to either "record", or occasionally "DVR", so DVR should now be on the tip of the tongue for a modern TV recording device, not TiVo.
I know several people who still say this. Finally decided to stop wasting my breath by replying, "you mean record?". :P
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

mas3cf wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:03 pm Blah blah blah journeys. If not for that last word, I'd have had no clue.
+1. I usually dread Bible categories (particularly New Testament, as I still maintain being Jewish puts me at a disadvantage :p), but once the journey is there, you can retroactively fit the rest of the statement to the story.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

billiej wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:44 am
I know several people who still say this. Finally decided to stop wasting my breath by replying, "you mean record?". :P
"Taping" and "filming" are like "dialing" a phone number. The verb survives the change in circumstance that makes it literally inaccurate.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:34 am
"Taping" and "filming" are like "dialing" a phone number. The verb survives the change in circumstance that makes it literally inaccurate.
I was upbraided by my 8th grade drama teacher for conflating filming and taping, so since then I've been perspicacious about them, and also recording.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Also "rewinding."
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

And the save icon will be a 3.5" floppy until end times.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

I don't know. That would imply that we still "tab" and "shift" on a computer keyboard, even though shifting the key bank up and down and moving metal tabs back and forth are from bygone days.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

AFRET CMS wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:25 pm
I don't know. That would imply that we still "tab" and "shift" on a computer keyboard, even though shifting the key bank up and down and moving metal tabs back and forth are from bygone days.
This whole thread would make an interesting J! category. REPURPOSED WORDS for $400?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Volante wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:50 pm
And the save icon will be a 3.5" floppy until end times.
Likewise the simulated film camera sound when you take a photo with your phone.