GOAT Tournament Day 4 (1/14/20) Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: GOAT Tournament Day 4 (1/14/20) Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by gnash »

reddpen wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:32 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:31 pm I punted on the FJ, but if I'd tried to name ONE character it would have to be Iago or Yorick (and I don't know if Yorick is a character, and don't need to know lol).
Yorick was a skull with zero lines.
But he was a fellow of infinite jest!
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

soxfan99 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:09 am
yclept wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:26 am Kinda interesting that on DD2, Ken said it called for a more conservative strategy.... in the end, if he was aggressive and everything else played out the same way from that point forward, would he have been able to lock out James in FJ?
I thought the same thing, but James needed just about $16,000 more than Ken going into Final to be in the lead. As it was, he was $21,000 up. The $3,800 Ken left on the board with the DD wouldn't have been quite enough to close the gap, but it sure would have made the top two rows of $400 and $800 clues more interesting.
The only thing it spoiled was the players' perfect record on maximal DD bets.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I guessed Brutus. At some point Othello is probably something I need to see or read...
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

georgespelvin wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:22 am Here's something that will make you groan. I actually saw a post and discussion on Facebook which put forth the assertion that James lost on purpose (which, of course, is ironic because back in 2004 there were a lot of folks that didn't know better than claimed that Ken ended his 74 game streak on purpose). I responded and put them in their place (nicely) by explaining why that was ridiculous.
Don't even get me started on the Facebook groups.
--
Drowning in the pool
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ellen's Game of Games by coincidence had this question last night:

Both remaining players missed it.

Get out away tonight & Go out and think
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

brick wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:51 pm
John Boy wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:18 pm PS on the subject somebody else raised, about this being their last game together...does anyone know which AT taped first, the GOAT tournament or the regular season game that aired tonight? I've kept thinking that if his health deteriorated, and he decided to step down, what better way to do it than with this tournament. I hate to think about ever losing him, but I know it's gotta happen some day.
The GOAT shows were taped mid December, after the regular season. I noticed the first night that Alex’s skin or makeup seemed very dark. I wondered if the different lighting was part of the problem. I’ve read somewhere since that a medicine he was taking made his skin quite dark, making the whole makeup issue challenging. I believe they have resumed taping now.
Thanks for the update. I keep fearing the worst and praying for something much better.
A Wray
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A Wray »

It was annoying that ABC spoiled how many matches this tournament would last before it had started airing. (Come on, whoever's responsible for TV listings -- you really didn't think about that?) Still, overall, I think the tournament was a spectacular success, and the bigwigs at both Sony and Disney must be thrilled. The gameplay was superb, the matches were competitive, and the repartee among the contestants was a lot of fun. I'm a Brad fan, but once it became clear that he just didn't have it this time, I started rooting for Ken. He deserves to finally win a tournament, and despite what Alex said, I'm sure James will have more opportunities.

Speaking of which, I agree with others that it would unwise to hold another super-tournament anytime soon. But if ABC is encouraged by the ratings and wants to air more Jeopardy, I hope that TPTB can persuade them to carry the regular Tournament of Champions, perhaps during the summer. I've always felt that the TOC is poorly marketed. It's supposed to be the biggest event of the season, but besides us hardcores, no one really pays attention to it. The TOC ought to be pitched as the quiz-show equivalent of the World Series. It should be aired at a fixed time of year (as it used to be) and it should have a distinctive trophy, maybe named after Merv Griffin (or Alex Trebek). Having it on network TV every year would certainly add to its prestige.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Whenever one of our media savvy boardies posts ratings results on this final game, I'm curious if these 14 million viewers are the "right" ones. Comparing to World Series game 7's is kind of hollow if we don't get Beer, cars, and snack food advertisers.

I'm not trying to be needy, but I need someone to tell me what to think in this case. Sort of like a Fox News consumer, lol.. My gut feeling is that ABC would be happier with half as many viewers but in the right demographic.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:24 pm Whenever one of our media savvy boardies posts ratings results on this final game, I'm curious if these 14 million viewers are the "right" ones. Comparing to World Series game 7's is kind of hollow if we don't get Beer, cars, and snack food advertisers.

I'm not trying to be needy, but I need someone to tell me what to think in this case. Sort of like a Fox News consumer, lol.. My gut feeling is that ABC would be happier with half as many viewers but in the right demographic.
GOAT won the night in the most desirable demo, so relax.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:24 pm Whenever one of our media savvy boardies posts ratings results on this final game, I'm curious if these 14 million viewers are the "right" ones. Comparing to World Series game 7's is kind of hollow if we don't get Beer, cars, and snack food advertisers.

Plenty of the numbers are here to sort through: https://deadline.com/2020/01/jeopardy-g ... 202831346/

I used locast.org to watch J! GOATS early from 5-6 and made sure to watch This is Us (Mandy Moore needs more love from awards shows) before bed with some of the GSN game shows mixed in as well.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

A Wray wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:49 pm It was annoying that ABC spoiled how many matches this tournament would last before it had started airing.
Huh? How so?
Newhausen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Newhausen »

yclept wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:13 am Great tournament. I remember commenting that it would be “funny” if James, with his unreal FJ history, would end up losing this thing by missing a FJ. And to lose on Shakespeare, which is the same topic that Emma ended his incredible run on.
Also the category that gave Ken his (at the time) single-game record in 2004.
A Wray
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A Wray »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:02 am
A Wray wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:49 pm It was annoying that ABC spoiled how many matches this tournament would last before it had started airing.
Huh? How so?
Check out the spoiler boxes on these posts:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5505#p323778
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5505#p323835

I spoiled myself by clicking "Show" on those posts. Most "spoilers" on this board are pretty anodyne...but I don't blame those boardies. It's absurd that the higher-ups at ABC didn't realize that their listings could spoil the outcome.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

A Wray wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:49 pm It was annoying that ABC spoiled how many matches this tournament would last before it had started airing. (Come on, whoever's responsible for TV listings -- you really didn't think about that?)
It did not get spoiled by every TV listings provider -- in fact, this was the TV listings page in Wednesday's Los Angeles Times (you can tell it's for Wednesday from the other listings, e.g., "Chicago Med"). Also, my DirecTV DVR recorded this phantom episode, and their listings source is usually pretty good at pushing out last-minute changes.

ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:24 pm I'm not trying to be needy, but I need someone to tell me what to think in this case. Sort of like a Fox News consumer, lol.
For a minute there, that comment made me think I was accidentally on Facebook...
--
Drowning in the pool
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

There's a simple way to eliminate spoilers for a 7-game series and keep "branding" consistent without having to burn off sitcoms that don't get their time slots advertised until 1 day before their airing. I'm surprised they didn't think about it: Celebrity Jeopardy!. Tape 4 double episodes with celebs right after the GOAT tourney. Air as many of them as you need to "fill out" the unplayed games of the GOAT tourney, and then reair the Celebrity Jeopardy! micro-season whenever you feel like it, with the old episodes and the new ones.

But they definitely did spoil the 4-game series. I get that they knew that they only had 4 GOAT episodes way in advance, so it's not like the World Series - maybe it's some kind of legal thing where they can't sell ads to shows they know they don't have? But still, it's not like "(if necessary)" hasn't been done ad nauseam for sports events.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

The other solution would have been to do it live.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

The weird thing is my DVR kept recording last night's primetime sitcoms thinking it was GOAT match #5.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:44 pm The weird thing is my DVR kept recording last night's primetime sitcoms thinking it was GOAT match #5.
Yep, mine too. Just once again shows that those in charge of such things are ignorant and/or lazy. First they spoiled it, then once all had seen it they fixed it. Then they leave it for at least a day. And on my provider today they have fixed it.

This almost never if ever happens for major sports playoff series once the series has been decided.