Thursday, January 16, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Fourth Podium Poll for Thursday, January 16, 2020 (SPOILERS)

Post by twelvefootboy »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:41 am
:| :mrgreen: :| :| :mrgreen: :| :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :| :| :| :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Polar vortex.
I am sad that I didn't pay enough attention to get the Satchel Paige clue, saw the picture but didn't hear the clue. My father and grandfather adored him and my great aunt lived just a few blocks from the old Muny Stadium.
I probably should claim neg for Johnson as I was eliminating Jackson in my head when the clue was over.

I hope I followed the posting rules. Don't want to bump a penguin early in the morning.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:41 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:31 am The Fourth Podium poll is up:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5534
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :| :| :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :| :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :|
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

$8200 + 3DD, also FJ

Not a fan... have to bounce back and forth to know which emoji goes with what clue for one.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Volante wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:14 am Not a fan... have to bounce back and forth to know which emoji goes with what clue for one.
Don't you have to do that when replying in the poll thread? When I reply, all the poll questions disappear and a box opens up for me to type my response. I can, if I need, scroll down to the first post and look at the list of correct responses to refresh my memory on which I got correct. But I find this far more cumbersome than keeping the poll open in one tab while replying in another. Maybe things are different on a phone? I feel like my existential reality isn't matching up with yours.

Maybe we'll have to have a poll poll.
buckeyebrain
Valued Contributor

Re: Thursday, January 16, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by buckeyebrain »

So what is the record for lowest score ever? Somebody mentioned that Priscilla didn't break it. When she was getting down there I was thinking "Wolf Blitzer"...
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:24 am
Volante wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:14 am Not a fan... have to bounce back and forth to know which emoji goes with what clue for one.
Don't you have to do that when replying in the poll thread? When I reply, all the poll questions disappear and a box opens up for me to type my response. I can, if I need, scroll down to the first post and look at the list of correct responses to refresh my memory on which I got correct. But I find this far more cumbersome than keeping the poll open in one tab while replying in another. Maybe things are different on a phone? I feel like my existential reality isn't matching up with yours.

Oh, I wasn't thinking about replying, I was thinking in the conversation part. I don't know what clues your smilies refer to even, and I can't scroll up and find out. Or even which clues we're referring to at all now.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

talkingaway wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:48 pm
Beatles alert! I was just thinking this past week, "Huh, no Beatles clues for a LONG time on J!, and I figured that should be a J! favorite." Maybe they milked all the clues? Maybe it's too bimodal - either really easy trivia that everyone knows, or stupidly obscure facts? Too much of a "trivia circuit" category? Or maybe it's selection bias and I ignored them - a quick search finds 3 clues with the group name in addition to the FJ! where the group name isn't there. I guessed Lennon on "Nowhere Boy / Backbeat", but clammed, figuring it was a coinflip between him and McCartney.
I haven't seen those two movies, but it helped to know that Lennon was the primary composer/lead singer on the song "Nowhere Man."
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Volante wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:52 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:24 am

Oh, I wasn't thinking about replying, I was thinking in the conversation part. I don't know what clues your smilies refer to even, and I can't scroll up and find out. Or even which clues we're referring to at all now.
Ah! I get it now. My own preference would be to switch tabs rather than scroll up and down. Might be different on a phone.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

54 R (Missed Austin City Limits(Negged with South by Southwest.), and Real People on Screen $1000(May have known at one time.).)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Satchel Page, Balboa Park, Bill Gates, Foggy, (Nor'easter), Mango, Aluminum, West Point, Ithaca, Quadrophenia, (New Mexico), Johnson, (Texas Rangers), Dulcimer
Douglas Squasoni
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:16 pm I think I caught whatever the challengers had through my TV, reading "easternmost" and thinking "westernmost." And then I got that wrong, naming San Salvador because it belongs to the only Central American country with no Caribbean coastline. (That portion of coastline, however, is more east-west than north-south; Guatemala is basically west of El Salvador, and Guatemala City is the westernmost of the capitals. Mexico City is still farther west, but that's not Central America.) If I hadn't become disoriented (literally), I would have gotten this easily.
Same here -- saw and heard "east," thought and answered "west" with Guatemala. Woulda/coulda/shoulda been instant. And we were in Panama City less than a year ago on a trip up the Central American coastline. Sigh.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:05 am I had Panama City down for FJ right from the start, but did have some minor reservations. For some reason my mental image always has Central America oriented more north-south than it actually is.
Often the case where macrogeography doesn't line up with microgeography. I know I was a little startled many years ago (perhaps in junior high) when I actually looked at a map in detail. "Everybody knows" the relative positions of the Atlantic and Pacific oceans, so it's a little counterintuitive to think that the Panama Canal is oriented mostly north-south, with the Pacific terminus east of the Atlantic terminus.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:35 pm 54 R (Missed Austin City Limits(Negged with South by Southwest.)
So, did you think south, by, or southwest was the capital of Texas? ;)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

AFRET CMS wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:54 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:05 am I had Panama City down for FJ right from the start, but did have some minor reservations. For some reason my mental image always has Central America oriented more north-south than it actually is.
Often the case where macrogeography doesn't line up with microgeography. I know I was a little startled many years ago (perhaps in junior high) when I actually looked at a map in detail. "Everybody knows" the relative positions of the Atlantic and Pacific oceans, so it's a little counterintuitive to think that the Panama Canal is oriented mostly north-south, with the Pacific terminus east of the Atlantic terminus.
Yes, exactly this.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

MitchO wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:29 pm I felt uncomfortable watching Priscilla in DJ. Sometimes you never know how someone is going to handle being under the lights, and I have the utmost sympathy for her ... but I felt like the Simpsons' "Stop, he's already dead!" meme. I wanted them to stop the match and try to calm her down.
Yeah, that was hard to watch. Poor lady.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

That's certainly the most LT I've picked up in a while: (Satchel) Paige, Balboa (Park), fog, mango, West Point (the mint), Ithaca, Johnson. $7K. In no position to challenge for a 4th-podium win, but I'll take it.

FWIW I kept trying to say Belmopan also, but made it to the canal zone in time.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Re: Fourth Podium poll

Post by Category 13 »

opusthepenguin wrote:The Fourth Podium poll is up:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5534
:mrgreen: :| :| :| :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :| :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :geek:

I would have gotten John Lennon with more time to parse it, perhaps on a DD.

Guessed Xylophone for the musical instrument. That clue would have tripped up most people that have a decent background in music. Maybe a master's degree in music holder, or Brian Jones gets it.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Hugo Z wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:54 am
talkingaway wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:48 pm
Beatles alert! I was just thinking this past week, "Huh, no Beatles clues for a LONG time on J!, and I figured that should be a J! favorite." Maybe they milked all the clues? Maybe it's too bimodal - either really easy trivia that everyone knows, or stupidly obscure facts? Too much of a "trivia circuit" category? Or maybe it's selection bias and I ignored them - a quick search finds 3 clues with the group name in addition to the FJ! where the group name isn't there. I guessed Lennon on "Nowhere Boy / Backbeat", but clammed, figuring it was a coinflip between him and McCartney.
I haven't seen those two movies, but it helped to know that Lennon was the primary composer/lead singer on the song "Nowhere Man."
Lennon also sang (screamed) lead on their cover of "Rock and Roll Music", which I assume inspired the "backbeat" title.
I'm smart and I want respect.
spell4yr

Post by spell4yr »

Missed the episode. Confused by the wording of the nor’easter clue — my degree’s in meteorology, and I grew up in New Hampshire, and I think the more precise wording would be that the predominant wind comes from that direction (on the north side of the low pressure system), or that the storm itself moves toward the east or northeast along the Atlantic coast.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Category 13 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:37 pm
Guessed Xylophone for the musical instrument. That clue would have tripped up most people that have a decent background in music. Maybe a master's degree in music holder, or Brian Jones gets it.

I agree that the dulcimer clue seemed deceptive, but it actually comes pretty easy from the Bluegrass / Folk Music angle. The confusion there is between hammered dulcimer and autoharp, but they gave hammer in the clue, so Pavlov for dulcimer. I agree that from the regular musical education side, that it is negbaity for xylophone, just like glockenspiel and marimba.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
A Wray
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A Wray »

Category 13 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:37 pm Guessed Xylophone for the musical instrument. That clue would have tripped up most people that have a decent background in music. Maybe a master's degree in music holder, or Brian Jones gets it.
I am that, and didn't get it (but I definitely knew it wasn't xylophone, which means "wood sound maker"). I would've gotten it if I'd had more time and thought about the Latin root for "sweet."
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:| :| :| :| :( :mrgreen: :| :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
Shoulda got Satchel Paige. Went with blizzard. Guessed Florida.