Friday, January 17, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, January 17, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, January 17, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
DNA MAKES NEWS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1993 remains of the Russian Royal Family killed in 1918 were confirmed by comparing their DNA to this member of the British Royal Family

Veronica Vichit-Vadakan: 7000-6999=1
Dennis Coffey: 19600+2001=21601 (New Champ)
Lindsay Goldstein: 10800-3201=7599

Correct response:
Spoiler
Prince Philip (Veronica – Eliza Prince Albert) (Lindsay – Queen Elizabeth II)

Daily Doubles
Lindsay: 7800-1500
Lindsay: 9100+2500
Dennis: 8800+4000

Coryats
Veronica: 7000
Dennis: 17200
Lindsay: 11000

Combined: 35,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Veronica: 2600
Dennis: 800
Lindsay: 6300
Last edited by theFJguy on Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

YOU BURNED MY FOOD $800: We wish you a merry Christmas pudding, AKA this, a dish of dried fruit, suet & cognac, set afire before serving—now bring us some!

Dennis: What is plum pudding?
Alex: Nope.
Lindsay: What is figgy pudding?
Alex: That's it.

It turned out to be a double get at chat time.

Dennis had $800 going into the DJ! round.

Alex: Dennis, I would say you got off to a slow start, but that might be an understatement. :o

If you don't like what the host says then do something about it. Dennis did just that winning both the DJ! and FJ! rounds. Easily.

The FJ! category had me dreading a Watson/Crick coin toss while using the break to assure myself that Crick was the Brit.

My other precalls were O.J. trial, Dolly the sheep and Human Genome Project while thinking a scary category usually means a clue not so scary. If I would have known the clue would be about the royal families I would have been very pessimistic.

Instead the clue was something I vaguely recalled and could guess correctly even though I added an extra L.

Dennis won against two librarians and seemed to be getting a better grasp of the game as he went along. Invoking Ken Jennings during chat time had me thinking he was going to regret that story.

Veronica's wins & money are good enough for the ToC sometimes:
2010: yes
2011: yes
2013: yes
2014: no
2015: yes
2017: no
2019: no

The more champs that can win 5 or better to lead to an earlier ToC then the better for Veronica. If a 3x & 4x curse kicks up then her place becomes iffier.
Golf

Post by Golf »

First to invoke Herm Edwards. :roll:
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

That FJ required much more in-depth knowledge of the British royal family than I possess.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

It wasn't really pinned... if the Duke of Edinburgh can be used then presumably any of his children or grandchildren can be used, as well. Then it becomes a game of "who is most likely to have consented to donate their DNA" and I would pick a younger person over an older person in a heartbeat.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:38 pm It wasn't really pinned... if the Duke of Edinburgh can be used then presumably any of his children or grandchildren can be used, as well. Then it becomes a game of "who is most likely to have consented to donate their DNA" and I would pick a younger person over an older person in a heartbeat.
Agreed. I said Prince Charles thinking he would be down with that kind of thing. It’s a terrible clue.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Austin Powers wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:25 pm IIt’s a terrible clue.
Yep
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:05 am Alex: Dennis, I would say you got off to a slow start, but that might be an understatement. :o

If you don't like what the host says then do something about it. Dennis did just that winning both the DJ! and FJ! rounds. Easily.
Quite a comeback. I was rooting for another 5 day champ, but we'll see what Dennis has in store. Also we'll see how long TPTB wait for the next TOC, I'd like to see Veronica again.
Robert K S wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:38 pm It wasn't really pinned... if the Duke of Edinburgh can be used then presumably any of his children or grandchildren can be used, as well. Then it becomes a game of "who is most likely to have consented to donate their DNA" and I would pick a younger person over an older person in a heartbeat.
FJ was a (correct) guess, but my first instinct was actually to use the oldest possible royal. *shrug* Still agree with others, not a fan of this clue at all.
Golf wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:48 am First to invoke Herm Edwards. :roll:
Hello? You play. To finish. 2nd!!!!
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Exactly my train of thought. I said William just to put down something. But seriously, who could know this? I certainly don't remember ever hearing about it when it happened even.
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

Coryat: $39,200 (47R, 0W)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: troth, skoal, mad money, Bruce, barrel head (DD), South Africa

Nice run by Veronica, but she definitely met her matches today. Good job by Dennis to come roaring back in DJ.

Ran Number That Book and N/S/E/W. Annoyed that I missed running Middle O with whorl, I was thinking it but thought it was spelled with an A for some reason. Sitcoms was a surprising trouble spot, NHO any of the last 3.

Thank you to my St. Petersburg trip last summer for an instaget FJ and a perfect week :D Our fabulous tour guide mentioned it at some point while she was talking about the Romanovs.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

The pinning technically was who ACTUALLY donated the DNA. But, yes I agree - theoretically, any of Phillip's descendants could have tested DNA....but I imagine in practice you'd want the most direct descendant (ie fewest generations), to help improve accuracy. Prince Charles' DNA would have Lizzie Deuce's Russian-free DNA mixed in, cutting his Russian DNA in half when compared to Phillip. And William and Harry would have even been more difficult to match (not to mention being only 11 and 9 at the time).

To me, the clue was asking "Who was the oldest living British royal alive in 1993 who had Russian heritage?" I went the wrong side of the tree with the Queen Mother. The Gangsta Rule told me I might wrong because "Queen Mother" is a (possibly informal?) title, and not the actual name of someone - there were lots of Queen Mothers, and asking for "Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon" instead of "Queen Mother" is a little bit too...trivial for FJ!. (They've gone the other direction a few times in J! and DJ!, and usually with some context.)

I had no idea there was a "skoal" spelling for the Danish toast - I thought it was "Skol" thanks to the Minnesota Vikings. But in fairness, it didn't cross my mind for the clue.

I was good to big mama, but big mama was NOT good to me - I had "Chicago" for the bottom row clue in Broadway, which cost me the run. And, yes, I did need Felix and Oscar for the Odd Couple - Pigeon Sisters were not gonna get it for me. I'd seen a filmed version of a Brit production of Cat on a Hot Tin Roof a year or two ago, but Big Daddy seemed to stick in my mind more than Big Mama. I should have known with just "Brick", but ignored him.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

I had a hunch Veronica wouldn't survive past the end of the week. Each game she played, her championship standing seemed more the result of quick buzzer reflex + soft competition, rather than depth of knowledge.

Dennis makes a minor chassis adjustment and whistles right past her.

Lindsay could have forced a crush on Dennis if she didn't make a few terrible guesses and wagered a little stronger on her last DD.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

talkingaway wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:32 pm The Gangsta Rule told me I might wrong because "Queen Mother" is a (possibly informal?) title
It's a formal title, although many do not use it (most just use Her Majesty Queen [name]). For Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, while George VI was alive, she was Her Majesty The Queen. When George died, she would then be called Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, but to prevent confusion, she became Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother. "The Queen Mother" is pretty much understood nowadays to refer to Elizabeth.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Guessed the Queen Mother on FJ. Never would've thought to look outside the monarchial line.
Judges:. Rationalism for Reason?
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

econgator wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:24 pm
talkingaway wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:32 pm The Gangsta Rule told me I might wrong because "Queen Mother" is a (possibly informal?) title
It's a formal title, although many do not use it (most just use Her Majesty Queen [name]). For Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, while George VI was alive, she was Her Majesty The Queen. When George died, she would then be called Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, but to prevent confusion, she became Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother. "The Queen Mother" is pretty much understood nowadays to refer to Elizabeth.
I agree, and in looking through the archive, they did accept "Queen Mother" as a response somewhere. Granted, "the Queen Mother" had been her title for 50 years, and the other two British Queen Mothers didn't like using the title according to a brief description on Wikipedia.

And the full title/name she used was Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother - so, without the "Elizabeth", it might be considered an incomplete answer. Is she Madonna, who doesn't need a Ciccone, or is she Celine, who needs a Dion? I'd argue Queen Mother should be sufficient, but when I put down my (incorrect anyway) answer, I was concerned about getting dinged for being incomplete. Hopefully J! writers would recognize that tension and adjust any clue that requires "Queen Mother" to make it clear that title is sufficient - which, in reality, it is.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Terrible FJ. I started with a guess of Prince Charles and stuck with that for no better reason than, as someone upthread said, it seems like the kind of thing he'd do. I figured he's more game than his mother or Prince Andrew. And it would be incredibly tacky for Charles to withhold his own blood and instead volunteer that of one of his sons, who turned 11 and 9 in 1993.

I did consider Prince Philip. I almost talked myself into him. I reasoned that the plethora of possibilities on the Elizabeth side of the family made it impossible to settle on any one in particular. But I just didn't know enough about Philip to pull that trigger. On the Elizabeth side, her grandfather, George V looked so much like his cousin Nicholas II that the two were sometimes mistaken for each other. So DNA from that side would seem like a good way to test Russian remains.

https://rarehistoricalphotos.com/king-g ... olas-1913/

Nicholas is the one on the left.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:41 pm Terrible FJ. I started with a guess of Prince Charles and stuck with that for no better reason than, as someone upthread said, it seems like the kind of thing he'd do. I figured he's more game than his mother or Prince Andrew. And it would be incredibly tacky for Charles to withhold his own blood and instead volunteer that of one of his sons, who turned 11 and 9 in 1993.

I did consider Prince Philip. I almost talked myself into him. I reasoned that the plethora of possibilities on the Elizabeth side of the family made it impossible to settle on any one in particular. But I just didn't know enough about Philip to pull that trigger. On the Elizabeth side, her grandfather, George V looked so much like his cousin Nicholas II that the two were sometimes mistaken for each other. So DNA from that side would seem like a good way to test Russian remains.

https://rarehistoricalphotos.com/king-g ... olas-1913/

big photo
Spoiler

Nicholas is the one on the left.
I knew that seemed familiar.

The image link works on the 2016 clue.

#7280, aired 2016-04-15 ODDS & "N"s $2000: Note the family resemblance between King George V of England on the right & this first cousin on the left

http://www.j-archive.com/media/2016-04-15_DJ_15.jpg

Final Jeopardy! Round clues (1 result returned)
#4395, aired 2003-10-17 HISTORIC ROYALTY: These two men seen here, allies during World War I, were sometimes mistaken for each other
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:52 pm I knew that seemed familiar.

The image link works on the 2016 clue.

#7280, aired 2016-04-15 ODDS & "N"s $2000: Note the family resemblance between King George V of England on the right & this first cousin on the left

http://www.j-archive.com/media/2016-04-15_DJ_15.jpg

Final Jeopardy! Round clues (1 result returned)
#4395, aired 2003-10-17 HISTORIC ROYALTY: These two men seen here, allies during World War I, were sometimes mistaken for each other
So Jeopardy! has been training us to remember that there's a connection to Russian royalty on ELIZABETH'S side of the family. Then suddenly out of the blue they want us to know you can get there from Philip's side as well. What a crap clue.