Monday, January 20, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Monday, January 20, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

For me, State was instant and was quickly followed by "not Defense. That's why Alex issued that warning". I don't recall if I thought of Treasury. If I did, I didn't spend too long on it because I couldn't immediately think of a woman who had held that post. Once I thought of AG, I remembered Janet Reno and I was done.
heppm01
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by heppm01 »

Leander wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:21 am
DanKirshner wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:15 am Thought Sect. of State was obvious. I went hunting for the second. AG never occurred to me, although it probably would have if I had more time to think about it. Went with Education based on the current office holder.
Similarly for me, State was an instaget and I struggled to find the second one. I think I might have gotten sidetracked by automatically thinking of cabinet members with Secretary in their title.
Likewise. Rules out Defense and the more "modern" cabinet positions and settled on Treasury although I did not have a particular woman in mind. TIL I learned that Attorney General is a cabinet position. I wonder how the Surgeon General feels about that.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Traci_on_J! wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:06 pm Thank you! I haven't seen the game yet so hopefully I look way less nervous than I was.
You looked much less nervous than the lady at your spot last week. Congratulations on making it as far as you did. You played a good game.

I am the idiot who couldn’t remember the State Department and put Treasury even though I was sure a woman had never headed it up. Did get AG.

Guessed Laura’s mother-in-law for the library.
Traci_on_J!

Post by Traci_on_J! »

Leander wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:21 am
DanKirshner wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:15 am Thought Sect. of State was obvious. I went hunting for the second. AG never occurred to me, although it probably would have if I had more time to think about it. Went with Education based on the current office holder.
Similarly for me, State was an instaget and I struggled to find the second one. I think I might have gotten sidetracked by automatically thinking of cabinet members with Secretary in their title.

I too was rooting for Traci, who played a great game.
That's exactly what happened -- I was going through all the Secretaries. Blanked on the Generals. Oh well.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

56 R (Missed Emmy Winners $200 & $1000, and Second City Alum $1600. Though I have heard of all of them.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Claire Foy, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, Groundhog, Ash Wednesday, Victor Hugo, Folies Bergere, Alan Alda, UNIVAC, Screenplays/Scripts
Douglas Squasoni
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

alietr wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:26 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:22 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:04 am Well done by Dennis for knowing how to open play in NIAGARA FALLS with the proper "Slowly I Turned" cadence. Credit to Superman II for my knowing the name of the water vehicle there.
Others might remember it from The Office or from Wonderfalls. Some will remember it from, you know, having been on it. Back in 1974. Good to see the old girl's still chugging away.
Wonderfalls! I'd been looking for somewhere to watch that, and never found anywhere. I had only seen the first episode and it seemed so promising that I still want to see the rest of them.
Wonderfalls is one of the very few TV shows I own on DVD (others include Firefly and Greg the Bunny). But I got Maid of the Mist because I went to a bridge tournament in Niagara Falls in 1982.
Sherm
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Sherm »

Blows my mind what some people can come up with when they are under the lights. I live in Central PA and a little over a month ago a super-load transport came through here. It’s neat, here is a summary.

https://www.northcentralpa.com/news/sup ... 94a56.html

A little over 300 tons going down the highway, went right by where I work. We got into a discussion as to how that thing came from overseas and got to Lake Erie. We all knew that Niagara Falls was in the way. A little research, and for the first time in my life, I read about the Welland Canal in Canada connecting Lake Ontario to Lake Erie. Makes sense that it is there, but I can’t picture it is anything close common knowledge and for Dennis to pull it out ahead of the Erie Canal yesterday. I was like, really.

The Welland Canal has 4 hits in the archive, all in the clue, never as an answer.
skrambler
Sam Kavanaugh's Mustache

Post by skrambler »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:13 am
acthomas wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:48 am And "computed for the H-Bomb" is the appropriately named MANIAC.
Except that the first major problem solved by ENIAC was related to the H-bomb. Metropolis and Frankel went to Philadelphia to set it up.

Another way you could have gotten this, if you really knew your computing history, would have been to realize that the given vacuum tube count was too low to be ENIAC, which had 18,000 tubes. The logical arrangement of the ENIAC was terribly inefficient; it was basically the electronic equivalent of ganging together a bunch of desk calculators. By the time they were halfway through building ENIAC, they had figured out the CPU concept, and so UNIVAC I was able to do more with a lot fewer parts.
Proposal for a mnemonic:
ENIAC, the terribly inefficient earlier computer: any yak could design this better!

UNIVAC, the next iteration: we have the ONE now!
Audacious! Loquacious! Voracious!
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 34,200
45 R/5 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Ash Wednesday, Victor Hugo, Folies Bergère, Alan Alda, screenplays

I had been spoiled on the fact that Dennis won this game. Under normal circumstances that's a bad thing, but in certain circumstances it actually adds to the drama. After clue 45 the scores were:
Traci: 13000
Matthew: 6600
Dennis: 1400

Knowing the outcome and seeing Dennis's comeback in his first game, I was on the edge of my seat waiting to find out how he would once again snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.

I'm sorry to see you go so soon, Traci. You played a very good game aside from one big mistake. You should hold your head high.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

skrambler wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:19 am Proposal for a mnemonic:
ENIAC, the terribly inefficient earlier computer: any yak could design this better!

UNIVAC, the next iteration: we have the ONE now!
Any time ENIAC or UNIVAC comes up, the clue will probably either mention a year (or decade) or a setting (academic/military/commercial/governmental). If the decade is the '40s or the setting is academic or military, it's ENIAC (built at the University of Pennsylvania for the Army's Ballistic Research Laboratory). If the decade is the '50s or the setting is commercial or governmental, it's the UNIVAC (built by a commercial enterprise founded by the ENIAC inventors, for governmental and commercial customers).
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Linear Gnome wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:09 pm
alietr wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:26 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:22 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:04 am Well done by Dennis for knowing how to open play in NIAGARA FALLS with the proper "Slowly I Turned" cadence. Credit to Superman II for my knowing the name of the water vehicle there.
Others might remember it from The Office or from Wonderfalls. Some will remember it from, you know, having been on it. Back in 1974. Good to see the old girl's still chugging away.
Wonderfalls! I'd been looking for somewhere to watch that, and never found anywhere. I had only seen the first episode and it seemed so promising that I still want to see the rest of them.
Wonderfalls is one of the very few TV shows I own on DVD (others include Firefly and Greg the Bunny). But I got Maid of the Mist because I went to a bridge tournament in Niagara Falls in 1982.
We have been watching those now that I realized they were all available on Youtube. We finished last night, and that really was a great series. Now I'm even more bummed that there weren't more episodes.