Tuesday, January 21, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Re: Tuesday, January 21, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

51 R (Missed The Bottom Two in Sci-Fi Pop Culture and Bernadette.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Hermaphrodite, Echidna, (John Wilkes Booth), Showroom, Lemur, Dissidents, Utter, Umber, Agitation & Propaganda, Congressional Budget Office, (Civil Rights), Defense Intelligence Agency
Douglas Squasoni
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:49 am Samantha Slama is a heck of a good name. Sam Slama Jama!
As soon as I saw it, I thought "That's a good Roller Derby name." Turns out she plays lacrosse. Close enough.
opusthepenguin

Fourth Podium Poll for 1/21/2020

Post by opusthepenguin »

A Fourth Podium Poll for this game is now available:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5544

This is a day late, thanks to the impeachment. But it's worth doing since a fourth podium win is definitely possible.

I'm trying the new method again of directing discussion to the game day thread. If you have a preference, you have an opportunity to vote that preference in this poll. I'll (probably) listen to the will of the boardies, though a couple of fins might sway me, if you know what I mean. In the event of a tie, I like the new way, so I'll keep doing that.
POLL QUESTIONS
$600 CHECK OUT THE CRITTER: Less than an inch long, the sea bunny is this type of being with both male and female reproductive organs (Samantha: What is asexual?) (Dennis: What is a hydra?)
$400 CHECK OUT THE CRITTER: Get an "E" for effort with this egg-laying Aussie mammal. Here are its babies called puggles
$1000 SPACES: In the 1970s Ed Mullinax Ford in Amherst, Ohio had the world's largest one of these indoor spaces, holding 120 cars (Steve: What's a garage?) (Samantha: What is a hangar?)
$800 CHECK OUT THE CRITTER: Despite its name, the sunda flying this, an animal native to Madagascar, is not one, nor does it fly (Samantha: What is a squirrel?) (Dennis: What is a bat?)
$1600 SPACED-OUT POP CULTURE: Led by Capt. Mercer, this sci-fi series on FOX sees its title ship & crew boldly going where no comedy has gone before
$1600 IN SOVIET RUSSIA: Ludmilla Alexeyeva, one of these activists who "dis"agreed with the Soviet line, noted there's no good word for them in Russian
$1200 WORDS START WITH "U": Adding an "M" to this word meaning "to speak" makes it something hard to hear
$2000 WORDS START WITH "U": This iron-rich earth is used as a brown pigment
$800 IN SOVIET RUSSIA: As its name says, Agitprop was the Soviet department responsible for these 2 tactics (Steve: What is agitate and propagate?)
$1200 THE USG: The CBO, this, analyzes economic issues on behalf of the House & Senate
$2000 THE USG: The DIA, this, provides info for the JCS, Joint Chiefs of Staff (Samantha: What is the Department of Internal Affairs?)
I prefer to discuss Fourth Podium poll here
I prefer to discuss Fourth Podium polls in the regular game thread
CORRECT RESPONSES
$600 CHECK OUT THE CRITTER: hermaphrodite
$400 CHECK OUT THE CRITTER: echidna
$1000 SPACES: showroom
$800 CHECK OUT THE CRITTER: lemur
$1600 SPACED-OUT POP CULTURE: The Orville
$1200 WORDS START WITH "U": utter
$2000 WORDS START WITH "U": umber
$1600 IN SOVIET RUSSIA: dissidents
$800 IN SOVIET RUSSIA: agitation & propoganda
$1200 THE USG: the Congressional Budget Office
$2000 THE USG: the Defense Intelligence Agency
opusthepenguin

Re: Fourth Podium Poll for 1/21/2020

Post by opusthepenguin »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:17 pm A Fourth Podium Poll for this game is now available:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5544
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :| :| :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :| :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :| :|
:roll: :mrgreen:

That gets me to $7000, almost but not quite enough to beat Dennis with a get on FJ. I might have picked up showroom as well, but Mrs Penguin shouted it out so quickly I didn't have a chance. If the contestants had been obliging enough to ring in with a miss or two on "utter", I think I could've gotten there.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 34,200
45 R/5 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: hermaphrodite, echidna, John Wilkes Booth (DD), showroom, The Orville, dissident, (m)utter, umber, agitation and propaganda, Congressional Budget Office

Interesting that they had the hermaphrodite clue on the same board as a category about words from mythology.

No offense intended, but Dennis's run shows just how much good fortune plays a role in a player's run. He won on Monday because of an ill-advised DD3 wager, and today he almost lost because of the same. Steve would have won with a FJ! solve, obviously, but had Samantha gotten either the Aldous Huxley or Defense Intelligence Agency clues, she rather than Dennis would have gone into FJ! in second place.
yclept wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:22 am As an unapologetic Alanis Morissette fan, I was rooting for her red-headed sister to take this game.
Glad I wasn't the only one to make this connection.
Sprinkles are for winners.