Wednesday, January 22, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, January 22, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. TERRITORIES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Of the 5 inhabited U.S. territories, this is the only one where cars drive on the left

Dennis Coffey: 14500-14101=399
John Cuevas: 15200+13801=29001 (New Champ)
Lau Mehes: 200+200=400

Correct response:
Spoiler
U.S. Virgin Islands (Dennis – Guam)

Daily Doubles
John: 1200+1200
Dennis: 4400+2000
Dennis: 9600+2500

Coryats
Dennis: 13200
John: 14800
Lau: 200

Combined: 28,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Dennis: 2000
John: 4400
Lau: 3800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The first break had a couple of audience members showing off their shirts:
Spoiler
Lau looked like she had a dress from the Elise Nussbaum collection.

5 clues not played. My Coryat missed not having the chance to complete the potential runs in LOCK HIM UP! and especially TV SPIN-OFFS.

Whether my computer or the transmission out of Alabama, I was at a disadvantage as it glitched right before the completion of the DJ! round, causing me not to see the FJ! category until its reveal after the break. With no time for helpful recall study (though should not really be an excuse) I was not able to bring up the right place.

I matched Dennis while being able to mentally cross off the other three. The one I could not remember? The one that was correct. My bad as it's not a long list and should have been an insta-solve like many others will enjoy. Trying to picture the quarters was helpful though not enough.

Dennis left his spot to graciously congratulate his opponents and then did a Snagglepuss. To me it looked like misunderstanding an offstage instruction and in no way looked like poor sportsmanship when Dennis was walking away. Dennis finally got the message and returned to his place for the after chat with Alex.

Thanks to Dennis missing the FJ! clue and John getting it that eliminates a lot of the Monday morning quarterbacking that could have come up with Dennis still trailing even though he correctly solved DD2 & DD3. It worked out nicely for Lau to get the extra thousand for her honeymoon as the gift for solving the FJ! clue and for Dennis to lose the 2nd place prize for that unnecessary wager.

If the clue had been a miss for John and/or a get for Dennis then there would be several points to revisit.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

So what was the point of the champ's wager?
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

JayK33 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:06 am So what was the point of the champ's wager?
Math errors happen?
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Golf

Post by Golf »

JayK33 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:06 am So what was the point of the champ's wager?
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:07 am Math errors happen?
Lack of wagering theory happens?
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

Golf wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:10 am
But yesterday, his wager from 2nd place was on the nose.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

I hate missing geography clues, since I consider geography a wheelhouse category.

The correct response was the one I couldn't remember as well, but even if I had, I'm not sure how I would have picked it out of a lineup as the one where cars drive on the left.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

Seeing an episode of "Death In Paradise" the other night must've steered(sorry) my mind in the correct direction. Thanks, PBS.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Weak Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "big." --Bob
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

Golf wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:10 am
Clearly he knew the theory, he just added where he was supposed to subtract.
--
Drowning in the pool
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

Coryat: $40,200 (42R, 0W)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Bob Dole, cowl, Baltimore, henchman, Grey's Anatomy, The Goldbergs, prince, begone

Cable's out for the foreseeable future, so I played the archived game. Which was a damn shame, because I would give anything to hear Alex give the clue for A Higher Royalty $1200 :D Maybe my favourite clue of the season.

If I had a huge lead, I'd like to think I would've answered Ways To Say Go Away! $400 with Biff's "Make like a tree and get out of here" line from Back to the Future.

I have seen the jade canoe in YVR. Hopefully someday soon I'll get to see the actual Haida Gwaii.

That was one strange bet - multiple errors for sure (Forgot to carry the 1 and meant $13,101? If so, forgot not to bet for the tie?). Lau must be very thankful to get gifted another $1000 after struggling so much.

FJ wasn't an instaget, but I've been to USVI enough times that I was able to get there pretty quickly. It's weird that they drive on the left, but all the cars have left-side steering.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

True North wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:20 pm
Cable's out for the foreseeable future, so I played the archived game. Which was a damn shame, because I would give anything to hear Alex give the clue for A Higher Royalty $1200 :D Maybe my favourite clue of the season.

Shh!
Spoiler
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

The champ's wager I understand from an "Oops!" perspective. After two hours (plus breaks) of trivia over two taping days, with Jeopardy! adrenaline, I'd be a little rummy too, and maybe even overlook third place. After all, a max wager of $14500, plus a miss by John (which is necessary for a win), would get him $29,000. A "conservative" wager to lock up second place money of $14,099 would get him $28,599, meaning an extra $401 for betting the max. Not a great risk/reward profile, considering he'd go down from $2000 to $1000 in a situation where he lost - he needs to be right about 70% of the time to have a +EV.

I'm a little perplexed at Lau's bet, but it's weird that it worked out. Frankly, there, I'd bet nothing, just in case Dennis went for the whole bet and lost.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I was rooting very hard for John. Yay, John!

I recall that, about seven years ago, Kristin Morgan did an interview segment that touched on an issue (cancer) and they ended up making her replace it. I guess times have changed.

I got FJ! for the right reason, and Lach trash on cowl and Grey's Anatomy but too slow on a few others.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Golf wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:10 am Lack of wagering theory happens?
ParrotRob wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:44 pm Clearly he knew the theory, he just added where he was supposed to subtract.
No, if he knew the theory he would have wagered either $701 or $13099. Those and any number in between gives him winning chances of ~47%. His wager gave him a winning chance of ~19%.
talkingaway wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:13 pm The champ's wager I understand from an "Oops!" perspective. After two hours (plus breaks) of trivia over two taping days, with Jeopardy! adrenaline, I'd be a little rummy too, and maybe even overlook third place. After all, a max wager of $14500, plus a miss by John (which is necessary for a win), would get him $29,000. A "conservative" wager to lock up second place money of $14,099 would get him $28,599, meaning an extra $401 for betting the max. Not a great risk/reward profile, considering he'd go down from $2000 to $1000 in a situation where he lost - he needs to be right about 70% of the time to have a +EV.

I'm a little perplexed at Lau's bet, but it's weird that it worked out. Frankly, there, I'd bet nothing, just in case Dennis went for the whole bet and lost.
See above. Lau's poor wager risked $1000, Dennis' risked 15 times that plus future earnings. I'd focus on that one.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

NHO "A-line" skirt.

What was the TOM for Kennedy Airport in the top box? I didn't see anything pointing to any airport whatsoever.

Complete brain lock on this one. I just completely zoned out and couldn't name any of the US territories at all. Is there a way to remedy that?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

For the make like a tree pun I have gone back and forth on it for the archive as I hear "leave" while the CC has "leaf" and I can hear that as well. Yes Biff Tannen would have another idea.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I fell for the Guam trap too. And, no, I couldn't name all five territories...I got Puerto Rico, Guam, and American Samoa, and picked Guam since it was closeish to Japan, which I knew drove left. Logic, right? I totally blanked on USVI, and NHO Northern Mariana Islands. I Googled the territories while I had the DVR on pause, and instantly knew my mistake.

I'm actually trying to slowly plug my gaping geography hole by learning the 190ish capitals of independent countries in Anki, and I decided to put off territorial knowledge until later. Yeah, that worked well.

Sometimes I wonder if the judging doesn't vacillate a little bit between hyper-critical to moderately lax, in quasi-random ways. It's one thing to accept, for example, "Against All Odds" without requiring the subtitle, but the Billy Joel song is "Just the Way You Are" - no "I Love You" in the title.

Today's game reminded me of the movie The Queen - "It's ma'am as in 'ham', not mom as in 'fahm'."

The clue on the modem really had me wondering what it could be until I heard that old 90s siren call of the Internet....