Tuesday, January 28, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, January 28, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD CAPITALS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Sharing its name with another ancient city on the sea, this African capital is called "Bride of the Mediterranean"

Sarah Frontiera: 21200+4401=25601 (2x = $52,402)
Adella Irizarry: 7800-800=7000
Greg Bacon: 12800+8401=21201

Correct response:
Spoiler
Tripoli (Adella – What is _)

Daily Doubles
Greg: 200+1000
Sarah: 14600+4600
Greg: 6400+6400

Coryats
Sarah: 17800
Adella: 7800
Greg: 7400

Combined: 33,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Sarah: 1400
Adella: 600
Greg: 4400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The funniest moment of the show was chat as Sarah wants to visit every state park in California.

Alex: How many state parks are there in this state?
Sarah:
Spoiler
That dreaded moment when Alex asks you something and you don't know the answer.

The players had an awful 5800 combined Coryat for the J! round, so getting it up to 33,000 by the end of the DJ! round showed how the game got better as it went along.

Nice move by Greg to make Sarah show up for the FJ! round as he got the two last big clues correct.

It was funny that both Greg and Sarah had other thoughts for the FJ! clue with a crossed out A and a crossed out Damascus before getting it correct.

During think time I was at first trying to work out which sea for a starting point in some kind of matching city name game. Red Sea? Capitals? Uh, not Ethiopia's. Eritrea is... Oh, the heck with that.

I reread the clue to the end and then saw Mediterranean. Cairo? Tripoli? Tunis? Algiers? Rabat? Which ones actually border the sea? Yeah, right. With a 20% chance I got lucky even though I knew next to nothing of all Alex explained. Watch me even things up by missing something TV/Movies/Sports tomorrow.

Nice title defense by Sarah. She could have made it easier on herself by being aware that with both DD2 and DD3 still hiding and two categories in play that each category will have one. Two very similar games by her so we'll see if there is more variance tomorrow.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

Thanks to the USMC for their assist on this FJ.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

According to this local news article, Greg at least had a good study ethic:
“There’s a fan-made website called J-Archive that has every clue from every game of ‘Jeopardy!’ ever. All 385K clues,” he said. “It also includes game trends, wagers, chit-chat between questions, and is searchable by keyword.”

“I tried to find patterns in what was asked and how it was asked, including subjects that seemed to resurface,” he said. “I believe I got 3 to 5 questions right that I normally wouldn’t have even tried to answer by studying this way.”
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

Coryat: $41,800 (51R, 0W)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: cirrus, Gibraltar, adverb, preposition, general, Horatio, Mary Leakey, Maine

I'll be prepping for the test while J! is on tonight, so I figured I'd play from the archive while on break at work. Despite doing my best to hear Alex's voice and cadence as I'm reading the clues, I find I generally score better this way than watching on TV, so I probably should only do it sparingly. Ran Off To The Landmark, Newer Necco Candy Hearts, Biopic Subjects and 2020 Anniversaries, only missed multiple clues in Russian Art & Culture and Mary: Me.

Sarah made it unnecessarily hard on herself by continuing in 2020 Anniversaries instead of going for DD3 in "A"tonymn, she could've easily locked the game up.

FJ was process of elimination -- couldn't be Algiers or Tunis since they were named after the country, and I didn't know any other Rabats or Cairos, so Tripoli it must surely be, right?
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

My FJ thought process:
Spoiler
There are only three African capitals on the Mediterranean. Of the three, Tripoli's name comes from the Greek... so it stands to reason there might have been another Tripoli at some point. As opposed to Algiers and Tunis, which are local names.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran Necco Candy Hearts.

Sci-Pourri for $1,000 felt like a coinflip on nimbus/cirrus and of COURSE I PICK THE WRONG ONE.

All but Taj Mahal in Landmark.

0/5 in Shakespeare. I can name Shakespeare plays, but have no idea on any of their plots except R&J.

NHO the top two Marys.

I said "able bodied" on the "A"ntonym DD. Judges?

No guess on FJ! I am vaguely aware that there is a place called Tripoli, but had clue zero as to where it was. And now it turns out there's TWO of them!?

Lach Trash: Gibraltar, interjection, base exchange, Maine
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

They accepted 'page', but they were going for 'fax'!? Um, OK. I assume Necco made hearts with both words, but boy that was jarring.

5/5 in Hit music yesterday, now 4/5 in Samples today (who the !$@* is MIA?). Maybe I'm getting better...or mayeb the clues are easier, I'll take it either way.
mas3cf wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:29 pm My FJ thought process:
Spoiler
There are only three African capitals on the Mediterranean. Of the three, Tripoli's name comes from the Greek... so it stands to reason there might have been another Tripoli at some point. As opposed to Algiers and Tunis, which are local names.
Ditto. (Not sure why it's spoilered tho.)
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Nice of the writers to provide a Schoolhouse Rock flashback. :geek:
How was Maine a TS? :o
FJ was pretty much WECIB. :mrgreen:
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

xxaaaxx wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:38 pm They accepted 'page', but they were going for 'fax'!? Um, OK. I assume Necco made hearts with both words, but boy that was jarring
Found it (yes, for both "fax" and "page") with a little Google work: https://www.rd.com/food/fun/over-10-yea ... tines-day/
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

xxaaaxx wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:38 pm They accepted 'page', but they were going for 'fax'!? Um, OK. I assume Necco made hearts with both words, but boy that was jarring.

I think it is less that they are acceptable synonyms and more that both technologies fit the description and time frame for the clue. I actually said "Page" myself.

EDIT: And it appears that both were actually on the hearts in that same year, based on the link above.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

For the DD in that category "Of bedridden or unable to walk (10 letters)" Mrs P said "able-bodied". Judges? I say we give it to her. It's not as tight a fit as the expected and accepted "ambulatory," but I think it works.

Kudos to Greg for the true DD in the clutch. It didn't take him to a win, but at least it put him back in the game.

Lot of trash in this game but I probably won't get around to a fourth podium poll. Count it up yourself and report the results if you feel like it.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:41 pm For the DD in that category "Of bedridden or unable to walk (10 letters)" Mrs P said "able-bodied". Judges? I say we give it to her. It's not as tight a fit as the expected and accepted "ambulatory," but I think it works.
I had the same response and same question of the judges.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:42 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:41 pm For the DD in that category "Of bedridden or unable to walk (10 letters)" Mrs P said "able-bodied". Judges? I say we give it to her. It's not as tight a fit as the expected and accepted "ambulatory," but I think it works.
Yeah, I just saw that. I'm giving it to you both unless I see a good argument against.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:51 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:42 pm
Yeah, I just saw that. I'm giving it to you both unless I see a good argument against.
I think of antonyms as being a single word...so, the question would be is a hyphenated word one word or two? I think you could say one, so I'd give it.

I hated that necco fax/page/beep clue. First, there are two correct responses....you'd think with a category like that, they'd have researched the list of possible responses, and seen both "fax" and "page" as being outmoded. Second, you could argue that both are not 100% outmoded - pagers still are seen frequently in hospitals (patient privacy and ability to be used in an emergency), and faxes are still needed for some legal purposes (I literally had some life insurance "customer service rep" ask me if I had a fax just last week).
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $35,400 (43 R, 4 W)
DD 3/3
FJ :mrgreen:

LT: $6800 - Gibraltar, interjection, preposition, general, Maine, Horatio

$40k was within reach but I struggled to pull several answers that I would normally get. There was a solid $8000 of stuff I felt like I should have been able to get.

Today's thing I knew but have never heard of outside Jeopardy: samovar

Today's thing I should have pulled from my Jeopardy knowledge but didn't: Mary Leakey
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

xxaaaxx wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:38 pm They accepted 'page', but they were going for 'fax'!? Um, OK. I assume Necco made hearts with both words, but boy that was jarring.

5/5 in Hit music yesterday, now 4/5 in Samples today (who the !$@* is MIA?). Maybe I'm getting better...or mayeb the clues are easier, I'll take it either way.

Paper Planes was a massive hit around 2008/9. It was also on the Slumdog Millionaire soundtrack.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I settled on Tripoli primarily because its Greek etymology made it likely there was another, as another user stated, and ruled out Tunis because Carthage was the primary city there in antiquity.