Online Test Recap & Discussion (Eastern), January 28, 2020

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

FS7
Contributor

Re: Online Test Recap & Discussion (Eastern), January 28, 2020

Post by FS7 »

Shaquebanisa wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:01 pm
FS7 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:54 pm Did anybody else get the e-mail saying you've taken it? I didn't get a confirmation and I don't see a check next to the 2020 test. I really don't want to have a record performance and then have something not register.
I noticed this as well. The J! website also doesn't say "test taken" with a checkmark if you go to your own profile.
Just showed up...just overexuberance on my part.
talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by talkingaway »

FS7 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:54 pm I think I got 44 or 45 this time, assuming all of the listed answers are correct. That would be a record for me.

ETA: Nevermind, it showed up. I was starting to worry.
No confirmation email - I didn't know they gave those. I do have the checkmark. I didn't think to check for it - but there it is!

And thanks to the videographers and researchers for the rapid turnaround. Now, time to play tomorrow and the next day's quiz to see if I regret taking the first one!
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Playing jff, I got 46. My misses:
Spoiler
19. NHO "The Masked Singer." Said "Clowns" just to say something.

35. Was trying to remember E.L.'s last name, and said "Gray" instead of "James."

41. Frozen for Wicked.

47. A RTFQ error. Thought it was asking for a hunter rather than an archer, so I answered way too quickly with Orion instead of Sagittarius.
Best of luck to all who took the test for realsies, in passing the test and getting an audition!
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
eureka
Valued Contributor

Post by eureka »

35. 37 depending on how much I may have butchered a couple names. Not enough time to change some of the wrong answers to right ones. Too much time to change my right answers to wrong ones. The worst was that I could not remember Genesis.
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jev15 »

Kicking myself for forgetting to take the test tonight. Would have scored 45, with misses on centennial, Libya, Orange, Aaron Burr, and Rio.
VAdame
Contributor

Post by VAdame »

No email, but I do have the checkmark.

Wow, maybe I'll get to avenge my brothers this year :lol: I'm perfectly willing to wear a tartan bowtie and stand at the middle lectern -- as long as I don't have to grow a beard!

ETA: Oh, I just got the confirmation email.
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

talkingaway wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:25 pm I felt okay on this one, which is worrisome. The first few questions felt tough, but it seemed to get easier for me as it went along. I already have a few brain farts, though. I could NOT come up with Macron in time! About two questions later, I yelled it at my comptuer. I don't think TPTB will accept the answer.
I had this same strange lapse. I just could not come up with his damn name after getting Trudeau stuck in my head and repeatedly yelling to myself "no not that one!"

I'm in the pool already so just took this off the video for kicks and got 45. This one seemed pretty easy compared to others recently, but could be because there was no pressure
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Let me begin by saying how proud of myself I am at how far I've come. I decided to take the Online Test last year like the cock of the walk with very little studying, thinking I was so good at trivia I didn't need much more than a little preparation. I jumped into the test and was bamboozled, ending with something like 22 correct responses on April 9th, 2019.

It humbled me to the core. But I took it on the chin and decided after a few days of watching James Holzhauer blitz the competition that I was going to take the next one seriously. In the last 10 months, I've watched every episode, and took up making flashcards. I wanted to pace myself so that I wouldn't get burned out, I decided to make at least 3 flashcards a day. As of today, I'm at about 800 flashcards of all different subjects, and often more than one important fact on each.

I'm proud to say that because of my hard work and determination, I finished with 46 correct on today's test. Here's the one's I missed:
Spoiler
10. I live on the other side of the country, and just do not know southern California cities that well. I put down Death Valley just to have something, but I knew it was wrong.
29. Here's my first forehead-slapper. Nothing stood out to me upon seeing the words "Jaffe" and "Seville", so I just wrote down orange to have something. I then panicked at the end and changed it to cherry. Oh well
49. I'd like to think I'm good at Shakespeare, but Banquo just didnt jump out at me. I then confused Banquo with Cassio and put down Othello.
50. Sports is my wheelhouse, but I just wasn't focused at the end. I was sure they were going to ask who won the most recent World Series and was prepared to write down Washington Nationals without even a thought. I got thrown for a loop and had to come up with something quick, so I put down Giants. Headslap number two as I knew Dodgers was the correct response 5 seconds later.
I hope everyone has a great story as well, and I hope to see some of you in Tampa :mrgreen:
Last edited by BrigadierSolo13 on Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
corpus_callosum
Contributor

Post by corpus_callosum »

I felt like tonight's test was right in my wheelhouse. I'm newer to following Jeopardy and still managed to score either 39 or 40 depending on how they score it. That makes it my first passing test I think!
I still can't believe I forgot Macron though! And for some reason I was between apples vs oranges for Jaffa and guessed wrong.
Last edited by corpus_callosum on Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

48! I'm still in the pool until March so I took it off sherder's video. I should've had 49 but said
Spoiler
"inner ear," which is wrong because the stirrup is in the middle ear, and middle was already given
. No idea on
Spoiler
Rebecca
; I've heard of the novel and author but couldn't put 2 and 2 together.
Hoping for a third lap
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

corpus_callosum wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:43 pm And for some reason I was between apples vs oranges for Jaffa and guessed wrong.
Well, you can't compare the two. :lol:
FS7
Contributor

Post by FS7 »

MitchO wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:45 pm
corpus_callosum wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:43 pm And for some reason I was between apples vs oranges for Jaffa and guessed wrong.
Well, you can't compare the two. :lol:
Was I the only one wondering between oranges and lemons?
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

Didn't take it tonight. Should have. 40/50 from YT.
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

My wife got 42/50. I wish we'd had the capability to both take it at the same time, as I really like the thought of getting 47/50 (would have missed Grande, Rutgers, and Dodgers).
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

50/50 for me although I probably took the test unlike anyone else. First, I recorded the linked video to my onscreen recorder and waited 15 minutes for it to be done. Next I put the video into the archivist's tool which allows skipping ahead 5 seconds.

Using pen and paper to write my answers I found myself almost always skipping ahead five seconds after being done, with about 25 of them being skipping ahead ten seconds with double forwarding clicks. It really can be that fast to read the clue, process it and write the answer in 5 of the provided 15 seconds.

Playing extremely sped up and with no pressure of taking it for real is of course not the same as a hopeful spot for the audition on the line and having to type. I did not need to hit any guesses as I expected it was a perfecto when I was done.

My slow down spots were comprehending what the S&P one wanted, switching from Princeton to the right one, starting an O(rion) for the constellation, needing a Norman Bates detour to dig the stuffing animals term and fixing "eulogy" to get the word to meet the Starts & Ends with "E" requirement.

Were there any rewards for show watching this week other than the Tunisia one kind of tying into today's 1/28 game?

With at least three mentions on this board I've made for the Nick Cannon show, I was not going to miss that and a quick check confirms I put The Mister into the current events thread for last year as well as the "thank you, next" in the 2018 one. If anyone needs an extra point then reread the current events threads for 2018 and 2019 as homework.

I'm ready to drop to a 41 or 42 with a science heavy set tomorrow or Thursday.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Playing JFF, I think I ended up with about 47, a few above my usual score.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

In the pool, so played through on Youtube for fun.

New personal best: 47/50, only misses were Masked Singer, Pennywise, and Wicked (want to guess my weakest subject areas??) More academic clues, less pop culture works well for me.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

I wish I had taken the test tonight. I got 39 without any studying. I'm likely taking it tomorrow night after some studying.

I thought that the answer to question 7 was O'Brien's (well, in the Jeopardy sense anyway).
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

In the pool, but playing along on YouTube, 44/50. That's my best score ever, and the studying has paid off.

Lost the flip on Athens/Sparta, despite morbeedo going over coin flippy questions with me earlier. Couldn't pull copper or Jung in time though I shold have known it. Had peppers instead of oranges, and Orion instead of Saggitarius, which I definitely should have known, and I'm just not good at music, put down Taylor Swift instead of Ariana Grande.

Happy to finally remember Carmen = Bizet.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

47 from Susan's video (thx!)

Misses
Spoiler
masked singer(got it seconds late), E L James (couldn't get grey out of my head), Byron (Tennyson)
As someone who 'failed' the test in person in Vegas, this felt like a return to my comfort zone. Now, to take it for realsies tomorrow.