Jeopardy! Poland thread (Va Banque)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

VaBanque
Contributor

Jeopardy! Poland thread (Va Banque)

Post by VaBanque »

This thread is about local version of "Jeopardy!" In Poland who broadcast with my nickname - Va Banque.

Welcome back "Jeopardy!" in my country Poland after 17 years absence!

In 20 days ago (7th January) tv quiz "Jeopardy" return to Poland (public television TVP2) after 17 years absence again as "Va Banque" and new host - tv presenter and sports commentator Przemysław Babiarz. He replace in this function actor Kazimierz Kaczor who host "Va Banque" in 1996 - 2003 in same channel. In a game show which in Poland, like in the USA, has cult status, you can win PLN 100,000 and how many other players will not dethrone the champion. Music, graphics and partly also the studio was taken from the original in contrast to the years 1996-2003 where it looked a bit different. At this moment viewing figures is 852 000 peoples. TV quiz broadcast Monday - Friday 18:30 CET on TVP2.

VIDEOS:
Intro new version:

First episode new version:

Episodes from new version - some videos have commercials up to a minute long at the beginning:

Part of another episode:

Latest TV spot:

First episode 1996 - 2003:

Last episode 1996 - 2003 version:

Another episodes 1996 - 2003:
From 1996 - Tournament Championship: Semi Final:
From 1997 - Tournament Championship: Final:
From 1998:
From 1999:

From 2001:
(starts in 0:36)

Music from version 1996 - 2003:

One Polish Youtuber make remix first theme music local version "Jeopardy" - Va Banque:

OFFICIAL LINKS:
1. Official profile „Va Banque" on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/Va-Banque-TVP-103346344938661.(official mail: [email protected])
2. Official site with episodes:
https://vod.tvp.pl/website/va-banque,45553772
3. Fanclub Polish version of "Jeopardy" : Va Banque - grupa fanów teleturnieju wiedzy i ryzyka: https://www.facebook.com/groups/7959857 ... 2509276933
That group created fans and former players this programm.
Last edited by VaBanque on Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:52 am, edited 24 times in total.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: Local version of "Jeopardy!" in Poland and others countries

Post by AFRET CMS »

VaBanque wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:02 pm This thread is about local version of "Jeopardy!" in Poland and other (than USA) countries.

Welcome back "Jeopardy!" in my country Poland after 17 years absence!

In 20 days ago (7th January) tv quiz "Jeopardy" return to Poland (public television TVP2) after 17 years absence again as "Va Banque" and new host - tv presenter and sports commentator Przemysław Babiarz. He replace in this function actor Kazimierz Kaczor who host "Va Banque" in 1996 - 2003 in same channel. In a game show which in Poland, like in the USA, has cult status, you can win PLN 100,000 and how many other players will not dethrone the champion. Music, graphics and partly also the studio was taken from the original in contrast to the years 1996-2003 where it looked a bit different. At this moment viewing figures is 852 000 peoples. TV quiz broadcast Monday - Friday 18:30 CET on TVP2.
Thanks for interesting information about Jeopardy in Poland and welcome to the discussion. The links were very interesting and it was fun watching even without knowing Polish, coming up with guesses based on, "hmmm, looks like....".

The FJ in the link
VaBanque wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:02 pmOne from episode new version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3va_3yl-oiI"
may be of interest to many. Even without knowing Polish, I think many boardies will get the correct answer just from word similarities, dates, and context.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
VaBanque
Contributor

Re: Jeopardy! Poland thread (Va Banque)

Post by VaBanque »

Today, the 15th episode was broadcast and in it the super champion (Mr. Paweł) who after 8 episodes has already collected 87,900 zlotys (PLN). Champions before he (Mr. Tomasz) in 7 episodes gathered up 64,000 zlotys (PLN).
Last edited by VaBanque on Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

For those interested, rough exchange rate is 4 PLN = 1 USD.
Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Blue Lion »

In 2000, my wife and I were in Barcelona for a family wedding. Our group was staying in a house and drinking generous amounts of good Spanish wine when Jeopardy came on. Listening to people trying to figure out the clues was hilarious. As AFRET CMS noted, it was possible to guess at what some of the questions were looking for.
VaBanque
Contributor

Post by VaBanque »

In today episode Mr. Paweł Jackowski after 9 episode winner won the main prize of the game show "Va Banque" or 100,000 zlotys (PLN)!
In today's episode after two rounds he had 12,300 zlotys (PLN) and in the final he lost only 200 zlotys and thus had the missing amount.
The final task in the "Bible" category was: This gospel of the new testament is the shortest and the oldest.
It was about the gospel according to Saint Mark while the master put the gospel according to Saint John.
Last edited by VaBanque on Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheLuckySeven
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by TheLuckySeven »

I'm also from Poland and I've been excited about the "Jeopardy" return in my country since the day it was rumored. Anyways, I really enjoyed that, especially because the graphics and soundtrack is the same like in the US and the set looks pretty nice too, IMO better than the American version. Not only that, but the host is really good and sometimes gives a fun fact related to a question, which was asked. It's good and bad at the same time, because sometimes it causes the situation when the round is finished and there are clues left on the board, especially in the Double Jeopardy round. I even auditioned to be a contestant a month ago, but I haven't recieved a call for the tapings yet and I'm slowly losing hope I'll be on the show. To finish my thoughts, I even have some fun facts about the "Va Banque" 2020 version and I'd like to share them with you some time in the future.
VaBanque
Contributor

Post by VaBanque »

econgator wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:15 am For those interested, rough exchange rate is 4 PLN = 1 USD.
In this time 1 PLN = 3,87 USD. Limit of prize in "Va Banque" from Poland is 100,000 PLN = 25,784.84 USD :)
I agree with the previous speaker also, considering that the return of the game show "Va Banque", despite not very good but still consistent viewership can be considered successful. Yes, many of my countrymen will remember the previous version, but the current one is also good. On the plus side even greater stakes in rounds which further enhances the quiz show.
Last edited by VaBanque on Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
ParrotAntics
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by ParrotAntics »

If it comes to champions of previous version of Polish J!...

One of the most known champions - Mr Marek Krukowski, a librarian - appeared there 6 times - in 1996 (first three games) and in 2001 (also three games), and he managed to win '97 Tournament of Champions. Though he's mostly known to be a quiz show grand champion - other program he won 15 times, he also won a Grand Champion title in a proprietary format for quiz show masters in 2004. His recent run was in the format Ten to One (Polish version of Fifteen to One) in December 2018 - he managed to score 2nd place in Grand Final.

Other known "champion" of Polish J! is Mrs Małgorzata Łoboda - she has appeared last time in 15th game of new "Va Banque", but also she is the only contestant appearing in both "Va Banque" iterations (hosted by Kaczor and Babiarz respectively), as well as she's the only known Polish contestant to play in a game hosted by Alex Trebek.
VaBanque
Contributor

Post by VaBanque »

In first return (in 2020) Mrs. Małgorzata „Gosia" Loboda (who represented Poland at the Jeopardy! International tournament in 2001 with former surname Czepek) lose and... forgot name first "Va Banque" host but in second return (who place in September and October 2021) to „Va Banque" she set a new record of winning in one episode throughout the history of the Polish version of J! Now it is 20 500 PLN.
It's game her from 1996:
Her game in Jeopardy! :

It's another interesting fun facts from Polish version J!:
1. In March 2020 TVP make chamge rulesin Polish version Jeopardy!
In two months after return „Va Banque" to TVP2 the rule where the champion could play many times to win the grand prize was lifted. There is now a limit of performance in 5 programs, unless you are eliminated before by another player. This rule was in the original version of the program from 1996-2003 but it concerned the limit of three programs.
2. On 5th February on "Va Banque" first time after return this quiz to TVP2 only one player in final round. In this time current champion have 44.800 PLN.
3. In 100 episode new version "Va Banque" final question is about first episode J! That episode broadcast in December 2020.
4. I make passwords about Eurovision Song Contest (my passion) for three episodes Va Banque and of course cash money. Passwords for player use in two categories in first and second round and grand final.
Last edited by VaBanque on Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:57 pm, edited 8 times in total.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

VaBanque wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:57 am In her second return to Va Banque, Ms. Małgorzata Loboda (who represented Poland at the Jeopardy! International tournament in 2001) set a new record of winning in one episode throughout the history of the Polish version of J! Now it is 20 500 PLN.
I'd make a Polish joke, but I'm not Polish anymore so I've lost the right. At least according to ancestry.com, my grandfather wasn't actually my grandfather. My biological grandfather lived down the street from them. Oy! Wait. I'm no longer part Jewish so I can't do that anymore either. Frickin' ancestry.com.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:22 am
VaBanque wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:57 am In her second return to Va Banque, Ms. Małgorzata Loboda (who represented Poland at the Jeopardy! International tournament in 2001) set a new record of winning in one episode throughout the history of the Polish version of J! Now it is 20 500 PLN.
I'd make a Polish joke, but I'm not Polish anymore so I've lost the right. At least according to ancestry.com, my grandfather wasn't actually my grandfather. My biological grandfather lived down the street from them. Oy! Wait. I'm no longer part Jewish so I can't do that anymore either. Frickin' ancestry.com.
I'm reminded of the scene in Mary Poppins where Mr. Banks is cashiered and humiliated.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

OP might be interested in this paper that came to my attention.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:43 am OP might be interested in this paper that came to my attention.
I clicked on that link, Robert, and Firefox told me it wouldn't download it because it was a security risk. Never saw that before.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:03 pm
Robert K S wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:43 am OP might be interested in this paper that came to my attention.
I clicked on that link, Robert, and Firefox told me it wouldn't download it because it was a security risk. Never saw that before.
Same here. These things are often false positives. I overrode Firefox and downloaded the file without opening it. Then I scanned it with Avast and Malwarebytes, both of which say it's clean. So I went ahead and opened the file and so far have not experienced any ill effects.
VaBanque
Contributor

Post by VaBanque »

TVP2 (second channel public television in Poland) change host „Va Banque". Third host Polish version J! in history is Mr. Radosław Kotarski. He replace Mr. Przemysław Babiarz (who host „Va Banque" in 2020 - 2024) and Mr. Kazimierz Kaczor who is legendary host that tv show from 1996 - 2003.
Radosław is a Polish journalist, writer, entrepreneur and internet creator active in podcasts and YouTube. He hosted historical television programs and co-hosted (as an expert) the Polish version of the game show Pointless.
Radosław debut in actual season „Va Banque" with new intro from 38th season Jeopardy!. The first episode with the new host will be broadcast on April 2.
In my opinion, the new host of the Polish version of J! could be the equivalent of Ken Jennings. Unlike the previous host he is not interested in sports as a journalist, but in popular science and history. He hosted TV programs about it called „Podróże z Historią (Travels with History)" and „Tajemnice Historii (Secrets of History)" and a YouTube channel called "Polimaty". The first program is to be resumed, which its host confirmed on a podcast he hosted with Polish singer Dawid Podsiadło.
The Polish public broadcaster TVP withdrew the previous presenter (Mr. Przemysław Babiarz) from host „Va Banque" due to:
1. His health problems.
2. The desire to focus more on him in his main specialization, i.e. journalism and sports commentary - especially at the Olympic Games, where he is to cover athletics and swimming.
Fans of the program thought that there were political reasons behind the change of host (the government responsible for the Polish public media recently changed), but this was denied by the new host of the game show "Va Banque", Radek (diminutive of the name new host Polish version J!) Kotarski.
Fans of the program thought that there were political reasons behind the change of host (the government responsible for the Polish public media recently changed), but this was denied by the new host of the game show "Va Banque", Radek Kotarski, whom he wished recovery.
He also appealed to the program's fans to do the same by writing this comment on the program's Facebook profile:
Ladies and Gentlemen, I also really liked Va Banque with Mr. Przemek (diminutive of the name Mr. Przemysław Babiarz), but trust me that not all decisions are motivated by politics or the desire to rub someone's nose in the face. Mr. Przemek is an amazing brand and a great journalist, so let's focus on wishing him good health and sending him as much good energy as we can. I hug you warmly and see you soon!
The new host of the game show "Va Banque" stated in an interview for TVP that he has great respect for both of his predecessors and that he has been watching "Va Banque" since the 1990s:
I have been involved in the popularization of knowledge for most of my adult life, and now it's time to have some fun with it. I remember well, years ago, when I watched the first "Va Banque" led by Kazimierz Kaczor with flushed faces, and I always wondered why the participants wrote so badly on their desks. Today I know that it is not that easy, not to mention that it is completely difficult to give the correct answer to questions from so many different categories - says Radosław Kotarski. It is a great honor for me to have been invited to this program, especially since it was previously hosted by outstanding fencers of words and elegance - emphasizes the new host.,
Radosław Kotarski, apart from being a popular science journalist, is also a writer who has written three bestseller books: "Nic bardziej mylnego (Nothing could be further from the truth)", in which he debunks widespread scientific myths; "Włam się do mózgu.(Hack into the brain)", describing modern learning methods, and "Inaczej (In a different way)", devoted to the most effective ways to organize your own work environment. He also recently published a collection of short stories.
The game show "Va Banque" is currently broadcast 6 times a week (except Sundays) at 6:10 p.m. on TVP2. Counting all the years of broadcast, the program has already had 14 seasons (eight annual in 1996 - 2003 and six quarterly from 2020 - mainly spring and autumn) with a total of 1,305 episodes (566 of which come from 1996 - 2003 and the rest, i.e. 739, have been broadcast from 2020 to the present day) lasting from 22 to 26 minutes. The Polish version of J! is watched by an average of 1.27 million viewers. The program also has a fan club run as part of a Facebook group. It consists of both fans and former players of the program.

In yesterday's episode, one of the professional players, Mr. Tomasz Orzechowski, returned to play "Va Banque" and has, among other things, won one million zlotys in the Polish version of the game show "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?". Unfortunately, he lost to the current champion, Mr. Tomasz Romaniuk, who won PLN 55,800 after 5 episodes (participation limit).

In turn, on April 3, Mr. Artur Baranowski will make his debut in "Va Banque". In Poland, he is known for his record in the game show which is the Polish version of "Fifteen to One", where he scored 803 points in the final without letting his competitors say a word. He answered all 40 questions correctly, maintaining full chances.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Source in Polish language:
1. Official „Va Banque" profile on Facebook:

2. Links with article in Polish language:
- https://plejada.pl/newsy/przemyslaw-bab ... pi/pkw3805
- https://www.wirtualnemedia.pl/artykul/v ... -zwolniony
- https://www.wirtualnemedia.pl/artykul/k ... prowadzacy