Online Test Recap & Discussion (Central), January 29, 2020

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

RJRouge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Online Test Recap & Discussion (Central), January 29, 2020

Post by RJRouge »

At least I'm in good company with being unable to come up with the seemingly simple "bony pony."

Misses on Kondo ("I know this one! Wait, wait... well, I'd better put SOMETHING. *test ends* MARIE KONDO!"), Anne, Aniston, Baltic (geography buff that I am, seriously kicking myself for that), Afghanistan, William the Conqueror, Sorkin, and the aforementioned Rhyme Time.

Potential with Philip on the one clue, trying to change it from Singapore with precious little time left. Focused too much on the "law and order" part and not enough on the man's name.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

42, taking it for real. North instead of Baltic (I think I tried to change; I'm not quite sure what happened). I recently trained myself to consider "gorgonzola" when it comes to cheese, so it was too fresh in mind. Whedon for the show creator, Smith for the MAD TV guy, grease goop for alliteration, Wolverine for Black Widow, milieu for habitat, and I had no real answer for Candy Crush (though it's not that I've never been invited there).

To Jeopardy! again: I don't like the "one" in "one scrawny small equine", unless you were looking for "on'y bony pony". Also, "it's a slightly fancier term", not "it's a little fancier term", unless you meant it's a term that little fanciers use.

I was happy to figure out "lupine" in time. When I see "vulpine", I think "it looks like it should be wolf but it isn't; it's fox", but with "lupine" it is one extra step to sort them out.

I decided to close the window myself at the end; I think in the past I've let it sit there but I'm trying to grab control of my life. My last in-person test was in 2007.
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:46 pm
Mr. Mastodon Farm wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:54 pm Somewhere between 37 and 39, depending on whether I fixed my my typo from "perestroikla" to "perestroika" in time (pretty sure I did, but it was close) and whether they give me credit for "breach" instead of "the breach."
"Breach" will certainly be counted correct, but the correct response on the Soviet clue was glasnost.
I'd only say "almost" certainly. Since the clue read "utters the line....", they are asking for words rather than meaning.
I'm smart and I want respect.
QuizGeek75
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by QuizGeek75 »

Last year, I got about 30 on the online test, but did worse this year with about 20. :(
Just a person who loves game shows.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

43 on this one.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I'm counting 43 for myself today. I didn't get QEII's daughter (I named her sister instead), m_________ for bartender, Brad Pitt's ex (I named his other ex), Hosseini's country (coin flip gone wrong), Natalia Romanova's alter ego, the puny equine*, and the TKAM adapter (utter brain fart).

*For a challenge and because I'm impatient, I watch the YouTube postings (thanks sherder!) on double speed and skip forward 10 (timer) seconds on instagets. I paused on the RHYME TIME clue because I was blanking and wanted to see if I could come up with something. I did, and it was "skinny hinny." I don't think it was soon enough, though; otherwise I'd count it. I think it fits "one scrawny small equine" closely enough to be acceptable.
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

42 playing JFF after 46 yesterday. There were a couple I came up with only after the fact - I was stuck on mixmaster for the fancy word for bartender and didn’t get mixologist until 3 or four clues down the road, and only thought of Hasbro with one second left.

Whiffed entirely on Wyeth, Afghanistan, cold cream, bony pony (had pony but couldn’t pull the rhyming word), habitat and William the Conqueror (that one I really need to unlearn the false Pavlov of 1066 = Richard III).

I was happiest that the Finnish composer = Sebelius Pavlov I just learned came in handy :D

Good luck to everyone who wrote for real, and to everyone writing tonight!
lillypie82
Valued Contributor

Post by lillypie82 »

WHAT? I actually passed this one? I'm in shock!

I had my kid stay up past bedtime to keep my score for me (writing checkmarks / question marks / X's depending on my confidence in each answer). I felt like I was doing pretty good but I normally get around 30-32 so I was surprised when we counted up the checkmarks and I had 37!

I was even more surprised when I read the answers here and realized almost ALL my wild guesses were actually right (only sea I could think of - Baltic, only royal name I could think of - Anne, only African-American author I could think of - Toni Morrison, etc.) Final score was 43.

I went back and took yesterday's test off the video and landed around 36 (which is still better than I normally do) so either these are getting easier or I'm getting smarter. Fingers crossed for an audition.
Jaksiel
Valued Contributor

Post by Jaksiel »

39 for me, so time for more waiting and hoping!
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

This test was way harder for me. Got 41 Tues for practice, only 27 tonight which might be my worst ever. I agree with someone else who posted that all the similar themed categories seemed much easier to me on Tuesdays test.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Playing for fun, mid 40s, way more challenging than test #1, but good categories for me. Still took some time to come up with things like mixologist and cold cream. Flubbed Anne/Margaret and wasn’t getting Bergen. Yesterday, I noticed the absence of rhyme time and before & after and voila! My best guess at the rhyme was skinny ninny (which isn’t a horse at all)

Congrats to the acers and the ekers. Condolences to those who missed the mark.
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

lillypie82 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:48 am WHAT? I actually passed this one? I'm in shock!

I had my kid stay up past bedtime to keep my score for me (writing checkmarks / question marks / X's depending on my confidence in each answer). I felt like I was doing pretty good but I normally get around 30-32 so I was surprised when we counted up the checkmarks and I had 37!

I was even more surprised when I read the answers here and realized almost ALL my wild guesses were actually right (only sea I could think of - Baltic, only royal name I could think of - Anne, only African-American author I could think of - Toni Morrison, etc.) Final score was 43.

I went back and took yesterday's test off the video and landed around 36 (which is still better than I normally do) so either these are getting easier or I'm getting smarter. Fingers crossed for an audition.
May I suggest that instead of depriving your kid of precious sleep :) , you might want to try what I do. All smart phones can record your voice. I just turn mine on when the Think Music comes on and then say my responses out loud. I usually don't, but it would be easy enough to add any quick comments. It turns out that's really easy to do in practice without distracting from actually responding. Much easier than trying to write down responses as you go along (where hands would be involved in both as opposed to using mouth and hands). I then listen to the recording and copy my responses to paper. By the time I finish that, the correct responses have been posted here and I can score myself. I can't imagine others don't use this technique also.
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

I think the examples of the tests of Tuesday and Wednesday present an excellent example of the value of grading these tests on a curve. It seems that the overall impression here (and mine, too) is that the Wednesday test was noticeably more difficult than the Tuesday test. I would hope that TPTB are actually doing this. Back in the dark ages when I first auditioned, the passing score was announced as 35 (and one got an audition by sending in postcards - another story for another post). But TPTB are very good at their job, IMHO. I would be surprised if they haven't evolved to a more sophisticated qualification mechanism. They probably noticed the disparity of % passers from test to test before the advent of online testing, but if they hadn't, they couldn't avoid noticing it once they were giving three separate tests in a short period of time. Although there are other reasons for not announcing a specific passing score, grading on a curve would force them not to do that anymore. It would be nice for them to make some announcement that they take the difficulty of each specific test into account, but I certainly understand why they would not.

Just my two cents.
Ultraman
Valued Contributor

Post by Ultraman »

I'm taking these for fun as I'm in the pool, but Wednesday's was the more difficult test. Good luck to all.
ALGebraist

Post by ALGebraist »

Just stepped out of the pool, hoping to get back in quickly 'cause I burn too easily out of the pool.

44 Tuesday night virtually, 39 Wednesday night for real :?

Congrats and good luck to everyone who passed and gets an audition
Spoiler
2 Fox - Always confuse "lupine" and "vulpine"
17 No answer - No hope
21 Bergendorff - Put Bergen but it looked wrong, so I extended it at the last minute :?
22 Milton Bradley - Should have gotten but didn't come to me in time
27 Fray - Should have gotten but didn't come to me in time
30 Jacksonville - For some reason I have that in my head as the capital of FL /facepalm/
35 Alice Walker - and I knew the right answer too
37 No answer - No Hope
38 Boeing 737 - all the recent plane talk must have messed with my head
43 Niche - Should have gotten but didn't come to me in time
49 David Lynch - One of those other darn Etruscans showrunners
xabe
Valued Contributor

Post by xabe »

42, off the video. I found the "Online Games" category for Candy Crush Saga misleading - it had me thinking of MMOs like World of Warcraft. I understand there's an online component, but I'm pretty sure Candy Crush can be played offline, so "Mobile Games" might have been a more suitable category.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

For no. 48 (RHYME TIME, "one scrawny small equine"), I had "Skinny hinny," which I think fits the clue (rather than the apparent intended correct response of "bony pony"). Judges?
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
davey

Post by davey »

To be a bit contrarian - I found the Wed test (43) a little easier than Tuesday's (41), thought most of my misses on Wed were in the second half. As long as they get a certain number of passers, I don't know why they would care about the perceived relative difficulty of certain tests. You can't watch the show and believe that they're only interested in the highest end trivia minds...
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

hbomb1947 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:39 am For no. 48 (RHYME TIME, "one scrawny small equine"), I had "Skinny hinny," which I think fits the clue (rather than the apparent intended correct response of "bony pony"). Judges?
I'd like to think they're tracking percentages for each response and putting the "skinny hinny" people on the fast track for a tape date!
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

42 for real yesterday and 38 today playing from the video.

Both are better than my usual mid-30s, so either I'm actually doing better or the test is slightly easier.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

hbomb1947 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:39 am For no. 48 (RHYME TIME, "one scrawny small equine"), I had "Skinny hinny," which I think fits the clue (rather than the apparent intended correct response of "bony pony"). Judges?
See above—I'd take it (and not just because I came up with it also)!