Online Test Recap & Discussion (Pacific), January 30, 2020

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Online Test Recap & Discussion (Pacific), January 30, 2020

Post by Lefty »

42, missing Shallow, Arby's, Ferrante, Johnson, Buzzfeed, Farrow, The Crown, and Finland. My wrong guesses that I wasn't absolutely sure were wrong were Wendy's (sounded like an update on "where's the beef?"), George Lucas, Tom Clancy, Downton Abbey, and Lebanon. I'll add though that I didn't even consider committing myself to a regnal # for Gregory and would be extremely surprised were one needed.

Surprised they didn't include Brett Kavanagh in the DC college question to give it currency. Precalled Rushdie for Controversial Authors (like 'American Pie' for 70s song yesterday), and that's all I recall.

So 45/42/42 taking them for practice, real, and fun.
I'm smart and I want respect.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

My scores for the week were 45/41/43, with the last one counting as my official entry.
ModernDayWarrior
Contributor

Post by ModernDayWarrior »

Looks like 41 for me (as best as I can recall, anyway). The three I'm kicking myself over are 10 (had Gregory typed in and changed it to Julius at the last second); 34 (the word "system" threw me off); and 42 (realized I had Magellan and Marco Polo backwards but didn't have enough time to change). Blanked on 7 and 13. Had no chance on 32, 35, 41, or 50. Not my best effort but I'll take it.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:41 am 48/50. Missed Rian Johnson and Ronan Farrow. Got Gregory XIII.
Oh come on! Right after I stopped betting!
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

45 tonight, following 48 and 47 Tuesday and Wednesday. Misses:
Spoiler
No guess on Ferrante
JJ Abrams for Rian Johnson
Rome for Florence
House of Cards for The Crown
No guess on Finland
Sprinkles are for winners.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

41 if they accept "pirhouette" with the extraneous h. (Google automatically returns hits for the correct spelling, so maybe....) Unlike many of you, I have no trouble remembering the order of Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle. What I do have trouble with is reading comprehension. So I parsed the clue as asking for the man whose most famous pupil was Plato and answered Socrates.

Spent 10 seconds trying to think of a green gemstone that rhymes with "haft". Then, just in time, I remembered that a knife has another part as well and typed "jade blade" just under the wire.
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

45 this time (46 for real Tuesday, 42 Wednesday). Only had two I completely blanked on (15th century dramatist and Italian writer), and put Mozart for Wagner, Louis XVI for Louis XIV, and Orange is the New Black for The Crown. Buzzfeed was a total guess that I managed to bink.

Clearly I need to get caught up on The Crown, the writers seem to include it fairly frequently.
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:14 am My scores for the week were 45/41/43, with the last one counting as my official entry.
I got these exact same scores.

Missed all the things I would usually expect to miss on this one... Ferrante, Johnson, Farrow, Buzzfeed, The Crown. Basically all the pop culture/recent literature :roll: Then 2 idiotic misses on Wagner and Aristotle.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

40 for me on the last test. The only one I had never, never heard of was Elena Ferrante, so I'm going to wiki dive into her right now. Stupidly put Morrison instead of Angelou. I'm guessing "Shallow" is from "A Star is Born"? I need to watch it. Should have gone with my gut with Wagner too, but didn't. Oh well.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
FS7
Contributor

Post by FS7 »

45 on Tuesday (real), 35 on Wednesday (fun), 43 on Thursday (fun).

On the chance I do get the call I'm really hoping 35 was an outlier. Though the 35 did make me study a bit, and that's how I got Wagner and Marlowe.
ALGebraist

Post by ALGebraist »

Tuesday: 44
Wednesday: 39 (real)
Thursday: 47

Oh well, nothing to do now but hope for the best... good luck to everyone who took the tests
Spoiler
*5 Indigo - OUT OF TIME but I gave myself this one because I initially wrote violet, reread the clue, and had to pivot (watching on 1.75x speed)
*10 Gregory - I gave myself this one because I think they're not specific (it smacks of a recent J! clue where TPTB did NOT accept "Gregorian")
32 JJ Abrams - Only recent "Star Wars" director I knew
34 FDIC - Running out of time so I put something
40 Venice - Crapshoot among Italian cities *shrugs*
Last edited by ALGebraist on Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
davey

Post by davey »

41/43/42, so I think the tests were about even difficulty...
Missed
Shallow (saw the movie, knew the song won, just couldn't remember the name of it),
Aristotle (stupidly misread the clue, or something),
Rapinoe (a name I can't seem to retain),
Rian Johnson (had just read some things about him, blanked on his name),
BuzzFeed (they do quizzes? One thing on the test I just flat didn't know),
Farrow (should have recognized the book title),
Magellan (I mix the explorers up),
Finland (can't remember hearing that one...)
I have never seen an episode of The Crown, or read a word of Elena Ferrante (or seen the HBO show based on her work), but I feel like I've read about both in The New York Times and elsewhere endlessly. (Ferrante is a pseudonym, and there's been a great deal of effort devoted to unmasking her real identity...)
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

45 for rillz on this one, after 48 and 45 (if I give myself 'skinny hinny') from the video on Tuesday/Wednesday.

Blanked completely on the Italian author (not sure I've ever heard that) and young female prime minister. Simply wrong on Wagner, Farrow and 'Shallow'.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Plume for plumage? Merriam-Webster's definition for plume directs to plumage, and there's no "seven letter" restriction, so I think it's reasonable to count.

Felt this one was between Tuesday's easier test and Wednesday's harder test. Good luck in getting happy emails, everyone!
Steppenwolf
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Steppenwolf »

Still in the pool for another nine months, so just took the tests off YouTube (thanks, sherder!). In order, posted 45, 42, and 39. But I had a few rum and cokes before that last test, so I think think I missed a few I would have normally gotten... Indigo, Aristotle, The Crown, and Tootsie. For me, the Tuesday test seemed significantly easier.
Newhausen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Newhausen »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:17 am 41 if they accept "pirhouette" with the extraneous h. (Google automatically returns hits for the correct spelling, so maybe....) Unlike many of you, I have no trouble remembering the order of Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle. What I do have trouble with is reading comprehension. So I parsed the clue as asking for the man whose most famous pupil was Plato and answered Socrates.
Should be fine, since that would be a silent H and your answer is pronounced the same way.
Spent 10 seconds trying to think of a green gemstone that rhymes with "haft". Then, just in time, I remembered that a knife has another part as well and typed "jade blade" just under the wire.
I was trying to rhyme the gemstone with "hilt", but I did get there in time. Thankfully, I only lost a few seconds trying to rhyme the blade part with "peridot".
cinemaniax7 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:14 am My scores for the week were 45/41/43, with the last one counting as my official entry.
Thanks for your avatar, by the way.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

Lefty wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:39 am

Surprised they didn't include Brett Kavanagh in the DC college question to give it currency. Precalled Rushdie for Controversial Authors (like 'American Pie' for 70s song yesterday), and that's all I recall.
Kavanaugh didn't go to Georgetown U
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Newhausen wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:38 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:17 am 41 if they accept "pirhouette" with the extraneous h. (Google automatically returns hits for the correct spelling, so maybe....) Unlike many of you, I have no trouble remembering the order of Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle. What I do have trouble with is reading comprehension. So I parsed the clue as asking for the man whose most famous pupil was Plato and answered Socrates.
Should be fine, since that would be a silent H and your answer is pronounced the same way.
Yeah, I have no doubt it'd be accepted on the show. But I don't think these tests are hand graded. So the program grading my answers will either have to accept pirhouette automatically or at least flag it for human review. Since Google automatically redirects my misspelling to the correct spelling, my guess is it'll pass muster for this test. But I don't know and they'll never tell me.
ilcap
Valued Contributor

Post by ilcap »

Playing along on Youtube with this I got 48/50. When I took the test for real on Tuesday I got 47, and then 44 on Wednesday.

Missed Frida Kahlo (misread that she was at a school in New Mexico, so I had Georgia O'Keefe) and Arby's (the slogan didn't ring a bell at all, so I guessed Carl's Jr).
Leopardy!
Contributor

Post by Leopardy! »

Truth is, I'd been losing interest in trying to become a contestant--J! has gotten so fast, and I've slowed down. But at the last minute I took the test last night because I couldn't the first two nights. Amazed that I may have gotten 45-46 right. Just one of those fun tests for me this time. :)
Last edited by Leopardy! on Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.