Friday, January 31, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, January 31, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, January 31, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FRENCH TOWNS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Legend says local farm wife Marie Harel & a priest from Brie created the famous product of this Normandy village

Michelle Paul: 10200+2022=12222 (2x = $30,122)
Matthew Leonard: 3200-3200=0
Audrey Koh: minus 2600

Correct response:
Spoiler
Camembert (Matthew – cheese)

Daily Doubles
Matthew: 2800-2800
Audrey: 5800-4000
Michelle: 7200+2200

Coryats
Michelle: 9600
Matthew: 6000
Audrey: 1400

Combined: 17,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Michelle: 4800
Matthew: 1600
Audrey: 3400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The players sampled all six categories in the first segment and the scattershot approach continued throughout the game leading to 10 unseen clues.

James Harden and his team? Not with this threesome of players. Largest city in Brazil? Of course the Rio neg and no rebound.

Easy title defense for Michelle getting her DD right while her opponents missed their chances.

50/50/90 for me on the FJ! clue as I missed with Roquefort and was so burned out by the game that when I considered changing to right place as time was almost up I did not feel like bothering with the switch. I should have been more motivated since I had M-Th correct, but did not know which way to go.

Some clue history for the town:
Spoiler

#7749, aired 2018-04-26 CHEESY MASHUPS $1200: Dodger Stadium's middle-innings "Smooch Screen" gets even sweeter as a cheese with a creamy interior
#7559, aired 2017-06-22 A CHEESY CATEGORY $600: Sort of a blue Brie, Germany's Cambozola cheese gets its name from Camembert & this cheese
#7079, aired 2015-05-28 PAINTERS & PAINTINGS $800: Looking at soft Camembert cheese inspired him to paint soft pocket watches in "The Persistence of Memory"
#5296, aired 2007-09-24 "C"HEESE $800: This French cheese from the Normandy area was first packaged in small cylindrical boxes in 1890
#4885, aired 2005-12-02 SAY CHEESE! $800: Napoleon III may have named this white, downy-rind cow's-milk cheese after the Norman village where he first sampled it
#4819, aired 2005-07-14 EUROPEAN ART & ARTISTS $400: This artist adored Camembert cheese because it could assume the shape of the limp watches he was noted for painting
#4486, aired 2004-02-23 "C" FOOD $600: It's the French fromage in the foreground
#4103, aired 2002-06-05 HUMPTY DUMPTY $600: "Cornflake Girl" who wrote a song in which "Humpty Dumpty and Betty Louise... stole a Sony and some Camembert cheese"
#968, aired 1988-11-16 "C" IN GEOGRAPHY $800: Called France's most famous cheese, it's named for this Normandy village where it was first made
Enough there to know the name though not enough repetition of needing the name as a response for it to have stuck.

Are there special eps. for Feb. sweeps or it's regular play next month?
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

Got the FJ thanks to, of all things, a Monty Python sketch.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

I ignored the Brie part and went with Dom Perignon, which I knew was named after a monk. I should have known I was on the wrong track when "named after a monk" didn't square with "name of a village."
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Couldn't have told you which French cities were also cheeses. Or which cheeses were cities. Guessed Dijon.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:21 pm Couldn't have told you which French cities were also cheeses. Or which cheeses were cities. Guessed Dijon.
In hindsight, the clue was "name a cheese similar to Brie" but that is not where my train of thought went.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Right area, wrong cheese: neufchatel.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

What was the wording of the interplanetary clue? I thought there might be a reversal with transplanetary.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Vowela wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:33 pm What was the wording of the interplanetary clue? I thought there might be a reversal with transplanetary.
The two don't mean the same thing.

inter-planetary (adjective)
situated or traveling between planets.
"interplanetary missions"

transplanetary
adjective
farther from the sun than a given planet
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Honestly, I'm not sure what that second definition means.

I'd say it's more like the difference between intercontinental (travelling between continents, as in ICBM) and transcontinental (crossing that continent, as in the transcontinental railroad).
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

econgator wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:41 pm
Vowela wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:33 pm What was the wording of the interplanetary clue? I thought there might be a reversal with transplanetary.
The two don't mean the same thing.

inter-planetary (adjective)
situated or traveling between planets.
"interplanetary missions"

transplanetary
adjective
farther from the sun than a given planet
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Honestly, I'm not sure what that second definition means.

I'd say it's more like the difference between intercontinental (travelling between continents, as in ICBM) and transcontinental (crossing that continent, as in the transcontinental railroad).
That’s right. There was a Big Bang Theory episode where Raj is honoured for his work in trans-Neptunian objects — objects beyond the orbit of Neptune.
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

Coryat: $33,200 (36R, 2W)
DD: 0/3
FJ: :(
LT ($8800): Chichen Itza, São Paulo, Houston Rockets, Mark Harmon, Royal Caribbean, Interstate 10, Hunter S. Thompson.

That was painful. No flow to that game at all. Might’ve contributed to my relatively mediocre outing, I got sucked into that vortex. First time I can remember that I missed all three DDs in a regular game.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone ask to change their DD wager before, I laughed out loud.

I was totally out to sea for FJ, I wanted to go with a cheese given Brie in the clue but had no idea which one, so I wrote down Bordeaux instead.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

I found myself wondering if Audrey could possibly have been serious when she asked AT whether she might change her DD bet after she saw a clue she clearly didn't know the answer to. Sounded to me like a serious request. :roll:

Meanwhile: LT on sacraments, Chichen Itza, Sao Paolo, I-10, interplanetary, Hunter Thompson, Guiteau, and Priam. That was good for $10,800 and an outright lead going into FJ, which pretty much never happens. The FJ get gave me a clean win from the 4th podium.

Speaking of which, I may have to schedule a visit to a good proctologist. Before tonight I've never pulled cheese out of my butt before. Seriously, I never made any connection between brie and any other kind of cheese, and never knew camembert was similar. I thought of cheeses encased in wax, (?) like gouda and edam, and realized they aren't French, so I just sort of WAGGED a cheese whose name sounded French. I'll take it.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

John Boy wrote:I found myself wondering if Audrey could possibly have been serious when she asked AT whether she might change her DD bet after she saw a clue she clearly didn't know the answer to. Sounded to me like a serious request
That was the icing on the cake to a game that could have been left on the cutting room floor. The two challengers seemed like they were playing a practice game. And I felt it was kind of squishy, the way Alex allowed Michelle fine tune her DD response.

I still didn't get much LT though. I-10, Charles Guiteau, plus the Panama Canal DD.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $39,200 (43R, 1W)
DD 3/3
FJ :(

LT $15,200 (yowza! $8k from the $2000 row alone)

Like Audrey, on Festivals $1600, I keyed in on "native son" rather than Gonzo. $40k is my goal every game, although I rarely hit it. I hate when I miss it by negging on a gettable clue.

10 unplayed clues = boo hiss.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

This was a weird game, from Audrey's performance to the J! round names to all the unplayed clues.

Ran Symbols.

Had quite a few derp moments today:

1.) I froze up after Rio de Janeiro was negged. "Bwuh? But there's no other big city IN Brazil, is there?" I think the contestants had the same brainfart that I did. That clue seemed monstrously negbaity, since who even remembers São Paulo, anyway?

2.) I keep forgetting just how close Cuba is to the US. My brain always places the Caribbean way, way, way further southeast than it actually is.

3.) Hunter S. Thompson's name always manages to slip out of my brain the second I need it.

4.) Mind said Frederick Douglass, mouth said John Brown.

5.) I somehow read "figure skater" as "skateboarder" and blurted out Tony Hawk for Tonya Harding.

6.) Blanked on "sacraments" and I work in a church.

7.) "This company with a sea name." Closed captioning said "C name" so I guessed Carnival. I'm not counting this as a neg on my scorecard, because I would have stayed clam had I not looked at the captioning.

"Brie" led me to cheeses, but I hit a brick wall trying to think of any others. If I've come across "Camembert" before, then it sure didn't stick. At the very least I wouldn't have guessed it was named for a town.

Lach Trash: Interstate 10, interplanetary
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The DD seemed to take Audrey out of the game and she never recovered. Kind of a bleah game overall.

No chance on FJ.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

econgator wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:29 pm Right area, wrong cheese: neufchatel.
Thought of it, but went w/Roquefort. :(

OK, How is I-10 a TS? :o
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

DBear wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:09 pm OK, How is I-10 a TS? :o
I wouldn't expect most people to know much about the Interstate highway system.

That said, I thought Route 66 was a baffling guess. That highway is such a pop culture icon more than 30 years after it was decommissioned that I would expect even the least roadgeek-y among us to at least know 1.) it wasn't an Interstate (although parts of its route were incorporated into later Interstates), 2.) it ran from Chicago to LA, and 3.) the route number is no longer in use.