2020 Jeopardy North American Audition Tour

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: 2020 Jeopardy North American Audition Tour

Post by morbeedo »

triviawayne wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 4:20 pm
MasterCone wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:31 am
triviawayne wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 9:50 pm
My random draw luck continues...that’s about when I took it.
Possibly still feels better than my random draw extreme luck (have gotten an audition all 3 times I've taken the test now), but continued failure to be appealing at an audition I guess? :lol:
If I had that, at least I could maybe do something to change my outcome, not winning a random drawing is nothing I can do.
But you could still be contacted any time for a Zoom test, right? I imagine they pull people with a passing score as they need them. No idea if they’re selecting by city/region or what. The process is a black box.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

MasterCone wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 5:52 pm
If I had that, at least I could maybe do something to change my outcome, not winning a random drawing is nothing I can do.
Very true. I got to the final round of The Chase auditions too a few months back and hoping that I have perhaps learned something from there also to maybe change the outcome this time.

I cannot help but think that my gender may have something to do with the better odds of audition selection.
Every show is looking for something different. It’s not always easy to figure out what.

Don’t ever give up, I passed 35 tests before I got on a show.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

morbeedo wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 6:49 pm
MasterCone wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:31 am
triviawayne wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 9:50 pm
My random draw luck continues...that’s about when I took it.
Possibly still feels better than my random draw extreme luck (have gotten an audition all 3 times I've taken the test now), but continued failure to be appealing at an audition I guess? :lol:
But you could still be contacted any time for a Zoom test, right? I imagine they pull people with a passing score as they need them. No idea if they’re selecting by city/region or what. The process is a black box.
This national pool to be randomly drawn from makes it even worse for me. At least before I could put myself into a smaller group.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Against all odds...

Zooming on Wednesday!
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

triviawayne wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:39 pm Against all odds...

Zooming on Wednesday!
Have a blast!
threearruda
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by threearruda »

Zooming on Wednesday!
Congrats and good luck!

Not sure if this has been covered here yet, but it seems that Friday has been the designated day recently for sending out invitations/other correspondence. That’s what happened for both of my recent 2nd test/audition invites, folks on Reddit indicated the same, and now the same happened for you as well. I’d imagine there will be at least a few more weeks of auditions before the new tape season begins, so there may still be time for more swimmers who haven't been contacted yet. For the record, I took my Anytime test in early January, thus I waited about six months to hear anything. If nothing else, hopefully this info proves valuable for others.

Looking forward to having more familiar faces in the pool!
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Best of luck to you, triviawayne. May the categories be ever in your favor.

I also wanted to ask the veterans of these boards a question I'm sure they've read a thousand times. Is there anything more I could be doing to be selected for an audition, other than simply taking the test when available? I am fully aware that there are people who have waited/been waiting much longer than the 2 years I have been waiting to get an audition, and I don't want to seem impatient or privileged. I just want to know if quietly biding my time and continuing to learn and prepare is all I can do in my position.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

Zooming on Wednesday!
Congrats!
threearruda wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:06 pm
Not sure if this has been covered here yet, but it seems that Friday has been the designated day recently for sending out invitations/other correspondence. That’s what happened for both of my recent 2nd test/audition invites, folks on Reddit indicated the same, and now the same happened for you as well. I’d imagine there will be at least a few more weeks of auditions before the new tape season begins, so there may still be time for more swimmers who haven't been contacted yet. For the record, I took my Anytime test in early January, thus I waited about six months to hear anything. If nothing else, hopefully this info proves valuable for others.

Looking forward to having more familiar faces in the pool!
Yep, this seems right. I got the email to take the zoom test on a Friday, took the test the following Fri, and received an invite for the mock game/interview 5 hours later that same day.

They said in my audition that filming for next season won't start until mid August and The Calls will start in mid July, so it seems likely there will be auditions running for a while more.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:40 pm.I also wanted to ask the veterans of these boards a question I'm sure they've read a thousand times. Is there anything more I could be doing to be selected for an audition, other than simply taking the test when available? I am fully aware that there are people who have waited/been waiting much longer than the 2 years I have been waiting to get an audition, and I don't want to seem impatient or privileged. I just want to know if quietly biding my time and continuing to learn and prepare is all I can do in my position.
Take the test every year. Keep up with trivia. That’s all you can do!

Look out for special audition opportunities like Trivia Nationals in 2019.

I’ve been trying for years and only got 1 audition invite in 2017.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

morbeedo wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:04 pm
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:40 pm.I also wanted to ask the veterans of these boards a question I'm sure they've read a thousand times. Is there anything more I could be doing to be selected for an audition, other than simply taking the test when available? I am fully aware that there are people who have waited/been waiting much longer than the 2 years I have been waiting to get an audition, and I don't want to seem impatient or privileged. I just want to know if quietly biding my time and continuing to learn and prepare is all I can do in my position.

You got the call in September 2018, but you couldn't be on because you were on Millionaire. At least you won $30,000 which is more than most one-and-done champions.
Douglas Squasoni
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:57 pm

You got the call in September 2018, but you couldn't be on because you were on Millionaire. At least you won $30,000 which is more than most one-and-done champions.
Correct! I auditioned for Jeopardy! again at Trivia Nationals in Las Vegas in 2019. I thought getting the call once would help me, but then COVID happened. I don’t know what my status is now.

Incidentally, I had a successful audition for Millionaire at Trivia Nationals the year prior. My in-person Jeopardy! audition was 13 months before that, so I figured I wasn’t going to hear from them. Well- they called me that September, a month after I taped Millionaire. Oops! The stars were not aligned!

Now it’s back to square one apparently.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

I think I passed the test. I didn’t have the usual “crap, I’m getting so many wrong” feeling.

Thought I would be sharing my screen, so I didn’t set up to record the test and check my answers.

It’s a little weird doing this with zoom, because I think it would still be possible to cheat, but at the same time, most people wouldn’t think of how and still be able to pull it off.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:08 pm I think I passed the test. I didn’t have the usual “crap, I’m getting so many wrong” feeling.
Cool! Keep us posted!
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

With the anytime test giving the show more test takers, and with Zoom auditions allowing more people to audition since they won't need to travel, plus the budget savings of Zoom, I would suspect this is how the show will audition people for a long time to come.

I could see the show having live auditions as well, but under special circumstances for places they would send people anyway, or other promotional reasons.

I think there won't be any more "North American Audition Tours".

Maybe we should just move to an audition thread, and possibly a google doc spreadsheet linked at the beginning of the thread with where people are in the process (anytime test date, zoom test date, zoom audition date, call date, tape date, air date).

I don't really want to start/create it, but if others think this would be the way to go, have at it.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Life really is funny sometimes...

I just got chosen and am Zooming this Monday :D
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:52 pm

Go git em!
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Good juju!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

squarekara wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:53 pm

Good juju!
Same and same! Woo-hoo!
nadroj93
Contributor

Post by nadroj93 »

Hi!

I think it's more likely to be from my second go at the Anytime Test than my Chicago score that I posted back in the 2020 tests, but I'm Zooming next week!
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

nadroj93 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:49 pm Hi!

I think it's more likely to be from my second go at the Anytime Test than my Chicago score that I posted back in the 2020 tests, but I'm Zooming next week!
Break a leg!

Prospective J! Zoomers, maybe TPTB already sent you something similar to this, but I just visited the WoF virtual audition sign-up page where I came across this info for the first time. The application asks for an optional 1-minute max video. Luddite that I am, I couldn't upload a video to save my life, but I thought I'd share their pointers. (The boldface type is theirs.) Definitely things to keep in mind during J! Zoom time!

+Choose a place where you can speak up and act natural.

+Don't record it in your office cubicle.

+Don't look like you've just rolled out of bed.

+Smile.

+Be natural.

+Tell us something interesting about yourself.

+Tell us why you'd be a good contestant.

+Don't tell us that being on Wheel is on your bucket list.

+Don't ramble.

+Less is more.

+HAVE FUN.