2020 Jeopardy North American Audition Tour

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: 2020 Jeopardy North American Audition Tour

Post by triviawayne »

kerryoakie wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:14 am
Woof wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:50 pm
kerryoakie wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:55 pm
kerryoakie wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:11 am Yesterday afternoon I received an audition invitation via Zoom for this week! It's my first audition EVER after nearly 18 years of trying.
Well, this excitement was short lived. All auditions are cancelled due to the passing of Alex. My heart is broken in so many ways.
Ugh. I had the same thing happen when The Chase cancelled an a schedule audition when CA changed its policy about interstate travel.
I've finally been able to get through a day without holding myself a pity party. I presume they will reschedule invites when the next host is chosen, but it really hurts that I'll never be able to have my own quintessential picture with Alex.

That's too bad about your Chase audition. Midwesterners always get the shaft!
I think they’ve had enough lead time to make their plans, so no need to wait for a host announcement to add people to what i suspect will be the largest pool ever.

I do expect and understand them taking a week or two for Alex.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
earendel
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by earendel »

Poster hbomb indicated on Facebook that the show will resume taping new shows later this month using an interim host. This information comes from a source not affiliated with the show, so take it for what it's worth.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

earendel wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:49 am Poster hbomb indicated on Facebook that the show will resume taping new shows later this month using an interim host. This information comes from a source not affiliated with the show, so take it for what it's worth.
he said a "possibly interim host".

Personal opinion is I just don't see the show doing that, if they did, it would feel like there's a revolving door at the podium where our beloved Alex once sat/stood.

If they really expect to begin taping again this month, that is a tall order given they need to pick the person, get the contract done, get the person to the studio for rehearsals and run-throughs, then start taping...all while the Thanksgiving break is looming.

If they were to go to an interim host, I would expect Jimmy from the Clue Crew as he has the experience and wouldn't need as much lead time, plus viewers already associate him with the show.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:35 am
earendel wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:49 am Poster hbomb indicated on Facebook that the show will resume taping new shows later this month using an interim host. This information comes from a source not affiliated with the show, so take it for what it's worth.
he said a "possibly interim host".

Personal opinion is I just don't see the show doing that, if they did, it would feel like there's a revolving door at the podium where our beloved Alex once sat/stood.

If they really expect to begin taping again this month, that is a tall order given they need to pick the person, get the contract done, get the person to the studio for rehearsals and run-throughs, then start taping...all while the Thanksgiving break is looming.

If they were to go to an interim host, I would expect Jimmy from the Clue Crew as he has the experience and wouldn't need as much lead time, plus viewers already associate him with the show.
Dan Patrick, Jeff Probst, Todd Alan Crain, Ken Jennings, Pat Sajak and Pat Kiernan are just some of a few who could capably host J! on short notice if their schedules allowed. They have the pipes and experience to handle clue reading and interactions with the contestants.

Glenn Kagan would have been on the list as well though unfortunate circumstances eliminate that option.

Yes, Thanksgiving is coming up, but some people do work up until the M-W prior to the holiday. For rounding up contestants with little time to prepare just go down the call list. You available Nov. 17-19? Nope, next call. Keep going and enough willing people will be found to complete a taping day.

The interim host can work two days and boom, J! has two weeks of shows. Viewers will have objections to whoever does the job, but the interim tag makes it palatable.

For a level down on hosts that could do it though would likely need some practice and rehearsal I would put Anderson Cooper and Aisha Tyler on the short list.

Jimmy always gets mentions due to his Clue Crew work and I'm not sure whether he goes on the first list or second list.

One more name is Mike Richards. If he can wear more than one hat (Alex hosted an produced for a time) then he has sufficient hosting experience to step in also.

I would think contracts would be the least of the problems as smart people would not be dumb enough to let agents foul up a golden opportunity.

Let's say November tapings are out, if not for staff grieving as anything else. The first three weeks of December could be a time to make hay and get shows done for 2021. I still advocate for two weeks of vault airings around the holidays to put off Alex's last shows airing.

It's a cliche, but "The show must go on" will be in effect sooner than later.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:45 am
Let's say November tapings are out, if not for staff grieving as anything else. The first three weeks of December could be a time to make hay and get shows done for 2021. I still advocate for two weeks of vault airings around the holidays to put off Alex's last shows airing.

Let's hope. I'm frozen in the COVID pool and relocating to LA temporarily to have a shot at making the show this season. Made plans before the Alex news broke. Wish me luck! I'll report back if I get The Call!
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:45 am I would think contracts would be the least of the problems as smart people would not be dumb enough to let agents foul up a golden opportunity.
smart people wouldn't be dumb enough to do the job without a contract, and the show wouldn't be dumb enough to try and put someone on without one.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:45 am

If there is no "interim host", I would expect they begin in December as there would be enough time prior to Thanksgiving for rehearsals and other things to get done. They can always tape more than one or two days per week between Thanksgiving and Christmas.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:45 am One more name is Mike Richards.
I know it's bad to typecast, but I just can't see Cosmo Kramer hosting Jeopardy! :D
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:23 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:45 am I would think contracts would be the least of the problems as smart people would not be dumb enough to let agents foul up a golden opportunity.
smart people wouldn't be dumb enough to do the job without a contract, and the show wouldn't be dumb enough to try and put someone on without one.
Depends what you mean by "contract". Would a smart person be dumb if they accepted a contract to do two weeks of Jeopardy! as an interim host?

In any event, my understanding of the entertainment industry is that an awful lot of things are done via a promise and a handshake that probably ought to be written down. And smart people do take on jobs on that basis, often with good results, occasionally with later regrets and bitterness and accusations. I think Mark's right that there's a pool of people who would like to prove that they have the chops to be the next permanent host and wouldn't really be concerned about how much they got paid to put together a 10-game audition tape.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Of course there would be contracts and in no way did I intend to indicate otherwise. My thinking was no ridiculous haggling with too much back & forth to cost the perspective host the gig. I was thinking sports where agents can screw things up for the client in hoping for a bigger deal. Too many times greed and bad advice hurt the athlete's bottom line as the agent is looking for a bigger cut.

For working out a J! deal with both sides agreeing to sign on the bottom line, my opinion is negotiations would go quickly. Any person asked to step in at the host's lectern would not likely let the honor get past them.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:38 am
Depends what you mean by "contract". Would a smart person be dumb if they accepted a contract to do two weeks of Jeopardy! as an interim host?

In any event, my understanding of the entertainment industry is that an awful lot of things are done via a promise and a handshake that probably ought to be written down. And smart people do take on jobs on that basis, often with good results, occasionally with later regrets and bitterness and accusations. I think Mark's right that there's a pool of people who would like to prove that they have the chops to be the next permanent host and wouldn't really be concerned about how much they got paid to put together a 10-game audition tape.
Anything involving an on-air host would have a contract, even if it is for one day. Even baseball players sign one-day contracts with a former team so they can retire with the team they are most associated with.

Audition tapes would be without a contract, as no contract is necessary for an audition, including one done in person. The contract would only be necessary for actual on-air hosting, even for one game.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:45 pm Anything involving an on-air host would have a contract, even if it is for one day. Even baseball players sign one-day contracts with a former team so they can retire with the team they are most associated with.
Well, then I bow to your firsthand in-depth experience in the entertainment industry.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

A contract would be a minor hurdle at best. It would get done in a heartbeat.
goongas

Post by goongas »

alietr wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:52 pm A contract would be a minor hurdle at best. It would get done in a heartbeat.
I am more worried about a shutdown in LA again. The situation is getting worse.

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2020/11 ... continues/

If I were them, I would tape as many shows as I possibly could, even if Mike Richards or Jimmy McGuire has to do it temporarily.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:45 pm
triviawayne wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:45 pm Anything involving an on-air host would have a contract, even if it is for one day. Even baseball players sign one-day contracts with a former team so they can retire with the team they are most associated with.
Well, then I bow to your firsthand in-depth experience in the entertainment industry insane amount of common sense.

I realize now that an audition is the Hollywood equivalent of a job interview, and nobody gets paid for a job interview, therefore, no contract would be necessary.

I also now remember there are union rules to deal with in the making of Jeopardy, rules which require contracts for on-air talent beyond being classified as an "extra" or something else which would require no contract.

Thank you for reminding me of these things.
FIFY
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

triviawayne wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:36 am
Well, then I bow to your firsthand in-depth experience in the entertainment industry pure guesswork and willingness to make authoritative statements based on the way you think things ought to be.
FIFY
My mistake. I thought you had firstand experience. I was thinking of things like this:

https://www.chicagobusinesslitigationla ... n-writing/

This search will provide plenty more:

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... +contracts
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:17 pm
triviawayne wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:36 am
Well, then I bow to your firsthand in-depth experience in the entertainment industry pure guesswork and willingness to make authoritative statements based on the way you think things ought to be.
FIFY
My mistake. I thought you had firstand experience. I was thinking of things like this:

https://www.chicagobusinesslitigationla ... n-writing/

This search will provide plenty more:

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... +contracts
So you use a verbal contract between an agent and and actor, where there would be no union involved; and a simple Google search regarding the existence of oral contracts to support your theory that an on-air talent to host a nationally syndicated show "might" not have one in place????????

My "pure guesswork" on this board has included:

35/50 is passing (show recently confirmed that)
random draw of those who pass in each city (that was confirmed too)
what was called "the biggest spoiler in the history of this board"

but yeah, THIS is something I would be so wildly off about.
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

kerryoakie wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:55 pm
kerryoakie wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:11 am Yesterday afternoon I received an audition invitation via Zoom for this week! It's my first audition EVER after nearly 18 years of trying.
Well, this excitement was short lived. All auditions are cancelled due to the passing of Alex. My heart is broken in so many ways.
And the whirlwind continues... Auditions are back on and I'm taking the test tomorrow!
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

kerryoakie wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:25 pm And the whirlwind continues... Auditions are back on and I'm taking the test tomorrow!
This is good news! Knock 'em dead.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

triviawayne wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:18 pm So you use a verbal contract between an agent and and actor, where there would be no union involved; and a simple Google search regarding the existence of oral contracts to support your theory that an on-air talent to host a nationally syndicated show "might" not have one in place????????
I can't speak to the practices within Sony or whatever subsidiary it is that is actually responsible for producing Jeopardy!, but Hollywood generally is famous for its slowness, if not sloppiness, in memorializing deals in formal written contracts. As an example that I take to be typical, Terry Rossio, co-writer with Ted Elliot of Disney's animated feature Aladdin, didn't receive his written contracts for writing the movie until they were sent along with his complimentary copy of the home video edition. (See #25.)

Under the extenuating circumstances, it would not surprise me if a substitute host, temporary or permanent, stepped up to the lectern without having a fully hashed-out and signed written agreement in place. OTOH, the article I linked to above does indicate that there is considerably greater and more respected time pressure on lawyers to approve contracts for performers.

Anyway, when you're offered the position as host of Jeopardy!, you take what they're offering. There is no one who would take the job who would conceivably have non-zero, to say nothing of Alex-level, clout in the negotiations.