Monday, February 3, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, February 3, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, February 3, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ASIAN GEOGRAPHY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This 150- by 2.5-mile area created in 1953 is now home to more than 100 endangered & protected species

Michelle Paul: 4400-3300=1100
Stephen Jackson: 14800-7201=7599
Travis Gaylord: 11000+3801=14801 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
the DMZ (Michelle – Coral Reef Reserve) (Stephen – the Great Barrier Reef)

Daily Doubles
Michelle: 2800-1800
Stephen: 2800+2000
Stephen: 15600-2000

Coryats
Michelle: 6200
Stephen: 16400
Travis: 11000

Combined: 33,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Michelle: 1600
Stephen: 2000
Travis: 2600
Last edited by theFJguy on Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

6 clues not seen and 6 categories not completed. :(

Stephen = TB12

The FJ! clue was a guess for me in having nothing better than matching Travis for the correct response. Without the category help I may have gone way off with Serengeti.

Programming notes: State of the Union tomorrow and Democrat debate on Friday means those in the West will see J! later than usual.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Got the FJ but it took me a good 10-15 seconds to come up with it. 1953 is what got me there.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

And the upward trend in my Coryats continues. Is this a sign? What am I doing right?

I thought "Seven Gables" = Massachusetts was tough for the second box, compared to Edison = NJ at $800. Poll request on MA?

Quaver = eighth note eluded this musician. I completely froze up after realizing that neither whole, half, nor quarter was a number. Oops.

There are specific types of grenades?! My only miss in that category.

Science was an easy 5/5, but I bombed Unfilmed Novels and Thirty Years' War.

Asian Geography? I actually heard this fact many years ago and was able to recall it instantly.

Lach Trash: pagoda, fiddler's green, Jerusalem, flagship. Also got the Pabst = Wisconsin DD.
pamelajaye
Contributor

Post by pamelajaye »

I couldn't tell you whether the House of the Seven Gables was difficult.
I came in late and missed the name of the category.
So I wasn't sure whether they wanted Salem OR Massachusetts or actually something else.
of course the thing is that I lived in Salem for 13 years.
Interestingly though, I did not know its other name.
Also I've never been inside. At the time a friend and I considered it, it was $12 per person
pamelajaye
Contributor

Post by pamelajaye »

This has little to do with the game so I'm not sure if it's okay because I don't usually come here.
Did the ER doctor say something about losing more sleep over being on Jeopardy than getting married?
Did he say his fiance was annoyed?
I would have said that I didn't know how I would do on Jeopardy, but I had no question at all in my mind about marrying you.
Just something that crossed my mind...
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

Coryat: $34,000 (39R, 3W)
DD: 2/3 (Netherlands would’ve been my guess if I was on the show, but stayed clam on the couch)
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Wisconsin (DD), eighth note, flagship, Jake Tapper

Had to think about it for a good 20 seconds, but 1953 led me to a correct FJ in the end.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Stephen sleeps like a baby the night before his wedding, but gets nervous insomnia before taping J! Sounds like a man after my own heart! :lol:

Meanwhile I sort of guessed Michelle's too-brief stay with us was likely to end when she mistook Willie Mays for Henry Aaron. OK, those are sports heroes from MY era, not hers, but still....

Nice sole get and win for Travis. Congrats and retroactive good luck for Tuesday's game. (If they try to pull the plug on the game for SOTU, don't let them! Gotta have our priorities straight, ya know!)

All the elements of this FJ fell right into place in my brain for a pretty much instaget. Saying it's been around since only 1953 certainly nailed it down.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $40,800 (44 R, 0 W)
DD 3/3
FJ :mrgreen:

LT Massachusetts, (Wisconsin), pagoda, eighth note, Richelieu, (Netherlands), flagship, heartwood. Clammed on Fiddler's Green and Jerusalem, missing out on another $1800.

The boards have been friendly lately. Over the last 9 games, $36,311 average Coryat ($37,740 if you adjust for unplayed clues).
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

For Arizona's state firearm I said "six-shooter." According to Wikipedia, it's actually a Colt Single Action Army revolver with "a revolving cylinder holding six metallic cartridges."
billiej

Post by billiej »

nserven wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:49 pm For Arizona's state firearm I said "six-shooter." According to Wikipedia, it's actually a Colt Single Action Army revolver with "a revolving cylinder holding six metallic cartridges."
I said 6-shooter as well.

Probably would not have gotten FJ without the year.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

billiej wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:11 pm
nserven wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:49 pm For Arizona's state firearm I said "six-shooter." According to Wikipedia, it's actually a Colt Single Action Army revolver with "a revolving cylinder holding six metallic cartridges."

Probably would not have gotten FJ without the year.
I'm all but certain 'six-shooter' was the intended response.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9), Baby Doll (6)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I didn't come up with "DMZ" per se, but I thought of the right place, calling it "the no-man's-land between North and South Korea." At first I thought of the Aswan High Dam, but I was quite sure it wasn't on the tiny portion of Egypt that is technically on the Asian continent. Then the measurements made it clear to me.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Volante wrote:
billiej wrote:
nserven wrote: For Arizona's state firearm I said "six-shooter." According to Wikipedia, it's actually a Colt Single Action Army revolver with "a revolving cylinder holding six metallic cartridges."
I'm all but certain 'six-shooter' was the intended response.
I spaced out the category and reflexively said "Revolver'. I think they could have come up with a less neg-baity clue than that.

I got the De-Militarized Zone fairly quickly.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

For posterity's sake in the archive, Stephen Jackson is from Atlanta, Georgia - but I'm sure that was due to the wonky recording mentioned in this thread earlier today.

I conflated Jesse Owens with the black power salute, so today's show fixed that gap in my knowledge without tinkering with my Coryat, since the "black power" clue was basically "what year did MLK die, given it's a multiple of 4", and the Jesse Owens clue was later. But thinking about it, the conflation was kind of stupid. I mean, Jesse Owens raising a Black Power fist towards Hitler would have looked....um....dangerously close to a salute.

"Chinese pyramid also beginning with 'P'" seemed easy to me, but I remember in my only real brush with Asian history (which was...wow...fifth grade), we read a kids' novel that mentioned carving butter pagodas and binding feet in history class. I can't remember much more about it.

I got the "long and narrow" idea of the TOM, but just couldn't get to the right response. Went with Great Wall, but I knew it was wrong - it's much longer and narrower. My second guess was the Forbidden City, but I thought that was more square - apparently it's about 961 meters by 753 meters, so I was pretty close. Not skinny enough.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

talkingaway wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:26 pm For posterity's sake in the archive, Stephen Jackson is from Atlanta, Georgia - but I'm sure that was due to the wonky recording mentioned in this thread earlier today.
Filled in, thanks.
davey

Post by davey »

I said 6-shooter too...
Kudos to all those who thought this FJ was easy. I could complain that geography categories are coming thick and fast all of a sudden, but this doesn't seem like much of one. It's clear that recognizing the import of the year was pretty important. i would have been better helped with a category name like UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCES, since I don't see any indication in the clue that the area was created for an entirely different purpose... :roll:
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Another get here aided by the year. I knew the Gables house was in New England, but guessed New Hampshire. I agree it needed to be lower on the board.

Travis making a beeline for the sports category made me root for him. Glad the category got finished. All I needed for Mays was “Say hey”.

I saw a Jesse Owens movie that had a scene where they brought him in after he black power salute to talk to the athletes to get them to calm down. He was seen as an Uncle Tom by some activists in the 1960s.