Tuesday, February 4, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

1stlvlthinker
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, February 4, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

Golf wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:16 pm
As a Winnie-the-Pooh fan, I must protest that Hundred Acre Woods, like Revelations, is flat out wrong.
Playing at home, I said "Wood", and then I was worried if I'd get negged if I was on the show. Glad to know I was actually right.

I might have corrected the writers about "Deathly Hollows" if I was on the show. Good thing I'm not because I'm probably coming off as a know-it-all there.

I'm super pissed off that I said "John" for Diego instead of James, especially when Pam Mueller was ribbing James about his Iago miss, that Iago means James.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

As a Winnie-the-Pooh fan, I must protest that Hundred Acre Woods, like Revelations, is flat out wrong.
I was fully expecting a reversal. At least the wagering made this irrelevant.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I wish I could say I pulled out some great etymological rabbit out of my hat to get from "ornithorhyncus paradoxus" to "duck billed platypus". But no...for me, it was "name an Australian mammal that's a little weird". Kangaroo's not too weird....so, it's the platypus.

Not quite enough Lach trash to win from the fourth podium unless I get the DD for myalgia. But I did have a higher Coryat than the contestants' combined, which is very odd for me - but we all have our specialties. I ran the "where does it hurt" and almost ran "monumental" except for Dodge City. I was a bit surprised that hepatalgia was a TS. Hepatitis = liver inflamation. But if you have a frustrating board (and this was a frustrating board for the contesants), I can see how it can snowball and make you clam up, because hepatalgia's not really a word that's commonly used outside of medicine - but you can reverse-frankenword it. (Much like how I frankenworded "gynophobe" for "mysogynist" in a high school vocab quiz because I was having a brain fart. I got credit for being creative.) Even "myalgia" might be a bit more common than "hepatalgia".

A month ago, before playing around with J! decks on anki, I would have never got Bleak House. I don't know if it came up on a question in there, in a recent S36 episode, or in the S35 weekend reruns, but...whoda thunk, studying helps. J! loves tinkering with clues.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Wow, I had $10,400 of Lach Trash for the DJ round alone (with the asterisk that Nipun took my first guess of Nimitz in ADMIRABLE ADMIRALS for $2,000, and I rebounded with Rickover, which I'm counting). That's enough to win the game regardless of whether I get FJ (and I did), but I also had $3,200 in the J! round.

I took note yesterday that Travis let third place back into the game by wagering to get $1 ahead of the leader, so I anticipated that Kathryn could win by $1 on a sole get if she doubled up.
DanKirshner
Contributor

Post by DanKirshner »

Took a roundabout, although probably misguided route to the correct final. Australian mammal > Ornith prefix > egg layer > platypus. I'll take it. A get is a get.
billiej

Post by billiej »

Ironhorse wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:12 pm
I was fully expecting a reversal. At least the wagering made this irrelevant.
If anyone is keeping track, one more here expecting a reversal on "Woods".

Glad I'm not the only one that found the game rough today, but at least FJ was an instaget.
Mario500
Valued Contributor

Post by Mario500 »

(wishes a more specific answer had been given and accepted for this installment of the program for this clue: "In the 1930s this Russian composed 'Peter & the Wolf' & scored the movie 'Alexander Nevsky' " (I had believed a certain composer of music with the same surname as the one for which the clue was about was related to the same one))
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I think a lot of people seriously overthought this FJ. An unusual mammal in NSW. What else could it be?
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:13 am I think a lot of people seriously overthought this FJ. An unusual mammal in NSW. What else could it be?
Paul Hogan????
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Sherm wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:51 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:13 am I think a lot of people seriously overthought this FJ. An unusual mammal in NSW. What else could it be?
Paul Hogan????
"Knife" wasn't used in the clue, so we know it couldn't be him.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

54 R (Knew it was the guy from The Honeymooners, but couldn't remember his name.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Vintner, Model A, (Muscles), Liver, Dodge City, (Plymouth), Hyman Rickover, George Dewey, (James), Bleak House, Drums, Hawaiian, Lake District, Mambo, Sergei Prokofiev, Clint Eastwood, Olivetti
Douglas Squasoni
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I have a feeling Opus will have a fourth podium poll.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I started with a RTFC moment and said ostrich but got it correct in time.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I also expected a reversal on Woods.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

talkingaway wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:40 pm I wish I could say I pulled out some great etymological rabbit out of my hat to get from "ornithorhyncus paradoxus" to "duck billed platypus". But no...for me, it was "name an Australian mammal that's a little weird". Kangaroo's not too weird....so, it's the platypus.

Not quite enough Lach trash to win from the fourth podium unless I get the DD for myalgia. But I did have a higher Coryat than the contestants' combined, which is very odd for me - but we all have our specialties. I ran the "where does it hurt" and almost ran "monumental" except for Dodge City. I was a bit surprised that hepatalgia was a TS. Hepatitis = liver inflamation. But if you have a frustrating board (and this was a frustrating board for the contesants), I can see how it can snowball and make you clam up, because hepatalgia's not really a word that's commonly used outside of medicine - but you can reverse-frankenword it. (Much like how I frankenworded "gynophobe" for "mysogynist" in a high school vocab quiz because I was having a brain fart. I got credit for being creative.) Even "myalgia" might be a bit more common than "hepatalgia".

A month ago, before playing around with J! decks on anki, I would have never got Bleak House. I don't know if it came up on a question in there, in a recent S36 episode, or in the S35 weekend reruns, but...whoda thunk, studying helps. J! loves tinkering with clues.
The "great etymological trick" here is "paradoxus," as in "paradox," as in a mammal that lays eggs and has a bill like a duck. Even in Australia, there's not a whole bunch of mammals that fit THAT description. (and the ostrich and kiwi aren't among them).

I had enough LT to win this game even without the benefit of FJ: enough over $10K to give me a lock game. Can't recall that that's ever happened before.

AT said on Wednesday night that this game (Tuesday's) had some "tough clues." As I've suggested before, when they miss a bunch of clues and I scoop them up (and so do a lot of others at home) I don't think it's tough material so much as a different problem.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

John Boy wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:23 pm I wish I could say I pulled out some great etymological rabbit out of my hat to get from "ornithorhyncus paradoxus" to "duck billed platypus". But no...for me, it was "name an Australian mammal that's a little weird". Kangaroo's not too weird....so, it's the platypus.
Ornithorhyncus (bird beak/snout) seems the easier trick.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

econgator wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:42 pm
John Boy wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:23 pm I wish I could say I pulled out some great etymological rabbit out of my hat to get from "ornithorhyncus paradoxus" to "duck billed platypus". But no...for me, it was "name an Australian mammal that's a little weird". Kangaroo's not too weird....so, it's the platypus.
Ornithorhyncus (bird beak/snout) seems the easier trick.
FTR, wrong attribution in your quote. Yes, not the prettiest of games to watch and an easy 4th podium victory. Near-instaget FJ once I saw "bird-nosed paradox" for an aussie mammal.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 34,800
46 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :oops:
LT: vintner, (Model) A, muscles (DD), liver, Ralph Kramden, Dodge City, Plymouth (DD), James (DD), Hawaiian, Lake District, Sergei Prokofiev

Oof. Missed an otherwise easy FJ because I forgot the category.

Just as Diego is the Spanish equivalent of James, T(h)iago is the Portuguese equivalent. This means that there is probably a secret portal connecting San Diego and Santiago.

I was sad that Kathryn didn't get the Canton clue.
Sprinkles are for winners.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

What's with the JBoard search box? Searched for Flucht, Nipun, and Tulshian and didn't turn up this thread. Google's site search turns it up just fine, first hit each time.

Anyway, missed this game in February because Mrs P was out of town. Having seen it now, I think it merits a fourth podium poll even after the fact. So watch for that to come in a few minutes. Here's the game if you want to refresh your memory:

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6542

EDIT: and the poll is now live

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5753