Wednesday, February 5, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

1stlvlthinker
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, February 5, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:04 pm
True North wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:01 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:33 pm Any reason I should know William the Conqueror, especially when just spotted the years?
1066 and Battle of Hastings are Pavlovs for William the Conqueror. That was on one of the online tests last week.
I go back to "war is absolutely boring". I know there is someone named William the Conqueror, but couldn't tell you thing one about him.
Watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNgP6d9HraI
1066 is absolutely Pavlov for William the Conqueror.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:04 pm
True North wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:59 pm Sometimes the obvious FJ answer is the best, and that was the case today.
I think I got Harpers Ferry and Valley Forge mixed up somehow. "John Brown" should have steered me to Civil War, but I doubt it would have been enough for me.
This should have been an instaget for me, but somehow had the same logic as you. But about 15 seconds into the music, it finally clicked that John Brown was an abolitionist, and I quickly refocused to the Civil War and got Lee.

If you know 2 names from the losers of the American Civil War, it's the losing general Robert E. Lee and the losing President Jefferson Davis. (Incidentally, the namesake of JD Hogg from the Dukes of Hazzard).
Now swimming in the J! pool.
A Wray
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A Wray »

mas3cf wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:56 pm "orphanage" supposedly rhyming with "smidge" is a biiit of a stretch, but I've seen worse, I guess.
Bamaman wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:55 pm Fridge actually came to mind, but I knew that sounded silly I then came up with bridge, but you can’t be in a bridge, so I clammed. I agree the rhyme was a bit of a stretch.
I'm not sure what you guys are objecting to. The word in the song is "orphanage," and it is pronounced to rhyme with "smidge." This isn't a matter of opinion.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

A Wray wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:14 pm
mas3cf wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:56 pm "orphanage" supposedly rhyming with "smidge" is a biiit of a stretch, but I've seen worse, I guess.
Bamaman wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:55 pm Fridge actually came to mind, but I knew that sounded silly I then came up with bridge, but you can’t be in a bridge, so I clammed. I agree the rhyme was a bit of a stretch.
I'm not sure what you guys are objecting to. The word in the song is "orphanage," and it is pronounced to rhyme with "smidge." This isn't a matter of opinion.
I agree. I could sing along with 4 out of 5 of the clues (sorry Spamalot), and when you sing "you, a, smidge" and "or, phan, idge" with the syncopated rhythm, it really does rhyme:

https://youtu.be/-0bOH8ABpco?t=124 (1982 TV movie)

In the Jamie Foxx/Q. Walis modern remake that was done 6 or so years ago, the line was actually changed to "foster kid", since "orphanages" don't really go by that name anymore.

I made FJ! harder than it really was. The wording confused me - I thought they were saying John Brown was a rebel as in a Southern rebel. So, some guy from the Union defeated him, and then commanded a Southern rebel army himself by switching sides to the Confederacy. Exasperated after 28 seconds of thinking of some kind of turncoat person, I brain-vomited "Benedict Arnold", knowing full well I was a good century off.

William the Conqueror, Hastings, 1066, Norman conquest. Definitely J! writers' catnip - they ask it all the time. I finally got it right this time. And explorers right around or before 1000 is Eric the Red, while 1010-1020ish is Eric's son, Leif.

I'm okay at wordplay, but the "IDE" category just seemed to zig and zag right through the many holes of my knowledge. Not a clue on any of them, and I don't know how that happened. But at least I swept the movies category, even precalling "Burt Reynolds or Dolly Parton" as soon as I saw "Best Little Whorehouse in Texas", and knowing Oliver STONE as the director of W before his picture appeared. (I even have a VHS tape of The Doors autographed by him when he was giving speeches around his book "A Child's Night Dream", but he wound up talking mostly about his movie U Turn, I think.)

Glad to see the board lighten up on the players, even if I only did marginally better.
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:33 pm Any reason I should know William the Conqueror, especially when just spotted the years?
Where are you from? Around here, that's very basic history every high-schooler is taught.
--
Drowning in the pool
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

It's really not that far a stretch if you've heard it sung in the musical. The word orphanage is sung stretched out almost into three words, rhyming "you a smidge" with "orph uh nidge".
--
Drowning in the pool
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

ParrotRob wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:19 am
Where are you from? Around here, that's very basic history every high-schooler is taught.
Is your "around here" England? I'm not sure I ever learned much about English kings (except as connected to other aspects of history beyond mere succession) in my education.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Ironhorse wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:02 pm
One thing that briefly sidetracked me was remembering that there was a famous Confederate figure who witnessed John Brown's execution shortly after the raid. Then I remembered that figure was John Wilkes Booth, obviously not a general.
Stonewall Jackson (still just "Tom" then) was another. You can read what he wrote about it here.
Ironhorse wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:28 pm
mas3cf wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:56 pm
I happened to know FJ cold, but it could have been read as "name the first leader of a rebel army you can think of."
In light of today's news about Kirk Douglas, my mind went elsewhere in response to that particular question.
Victor Hugo characterized Brown's execution as "Washington killing Spartacus".
I'm smart and I want respect.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 40,600
50 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Caligula, Wind River, soccer, Blue Ridge Mountains (DD), orphanage (DD), Nathanael West

FJ! was almost too easy. I wrote down Lee's name immediately and then spent the next 30+ seconds worried that it would be Jackson or some other Confederate leader.

Am I the only one who clammed on "tide" because there was a red tides clue earlier in the round?

Also, I hope I wasn't the only one to answer "Who is Turd Ferguson?" for the Whorehouse actor.
Sprinkles are for winners.
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:55 am
Is your "around here" England? I'm not sure I ever learned much about English kings (except as connected to other aspects of history beyond mere succession) in my education.
Nope, just an ordinary public high school in Maryland. And we didn't learn about "English kings" per se. It was, as you put it, "connected to other aspects of history". In this case, the Norman conquest. 1066 is an immediate trigger for the Norman conquest, which, in turn, should trigger William the conqueror (every conquest needs a conqueror, no?). Similarly, 1215 should trigger Runnymede, King John and the Magna Carta. That's almost teen-tournament level history.
--
Drowning in the pool
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:11 am Am I the only one who clammed on "tide" because there was a red tides clue earlier in the round?
Almost did, but my WECIB impulse overrode that (which it rarely does, so I'm glad when it kicks in)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

55 R (The Birdcage was my only miss.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Caligula, You'll Be Sorry, Wind, Soccer, (Blue Ridge Mountains), Regicide, (Orphanage), Haifa, Nathaniel West
Douglas Squasoni
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:42 pm Yeah. To pick anyone else would be to overthink it for no reason. If anyone did pick a different Confederate general I'd be interested in knowing what in the clue led them to their choice.
How about picking a guy (Hamilton) who was never a rebel against the US and who had been dead more than 50 yrs. by the time John Brown made history. That was kind of an odd guess.
goongas

Post by goongas »

I consider Musicals my strongest category, but I struggled in this category last night. Got I think 2 out of the 5, (the DD where I would have bet everything I would have missed).
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

John Boy wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:27 pm
Robert K S wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:42 pm Yeah. To pick anyone else would be to overthink it for no reason. If anyone did pick a different Confederate general I'd be interested in knowing what in the clue led them to their choice.
How about picking a guy (Hamilton) who was never a rebel against the US and who had been dead more than 50 yrs. by the time John Brown made history. That was kind of an odd guess.
That's some version of "writing down something at the last second is better than writing down nothing"
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Overthunk that one :roll: . I figured, just name a Confederate general that isn't Lee. Because if it was Lee, it surely would be Pavlov material for this event, which I get mixed up with the Jayhawk narrative anyway. Uh, name a General?? I didn't think of Pickett, and always forget Stonewall was not Andrew. All I had left was Jeb Stuart.

Thank you Paige, for rocking that awesome 'do. Curse you Paige, for causing me to google up "Land Snail". Although it does get cute if you think of SpongeBob's pet snail (Gary). :lol:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I got absolutely zero world history in high school somehow.
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:47 pm
I got absolutely zero world history in high school somehow.
Huh, go figure. Around here, 10th grade is World History, 11th is American History. At least it was in the stone age when I was in school.
--
Drowning in the pool
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

goongas wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:44 pm I consider Musicals my strongest category, but I struggled in this category last night. Got I think 2 out of the 5, (the DD where I would have bet everything I would have missed).
I'm not particularly strong on musicals, but only the bottom two clues required some knowledge about the musicals they were from (namely, that Spamalot is a Monty Python musical and that Annie is an orphan). The rest had enough to go off of for me to run the category.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:43 pm
goongas wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:44 pm I consider Musicals my strongest category, but I struggled in this category last night. Got I think 2 out of the 5, (the DD where I would have bet everything I would have missed).
I'm not particularly strong on musicals, but only the bottom two clues required some knowledge about the musicals they were from (namely, that Spamalot is a Monty Python musical and that Annie is an orphan). The rest had enough to go off of for me to run the category.
I knew that Spamalot if a Monty Python musical and still couldn't get to "grail" in time.
joepozz
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by joepozz »

Oliver North . . . spittoons . . . the fridge.

Three LOL answers on the same show.

I love it.