Wednesday, February 5, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, February 5, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, February 5, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN HISTORY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
At Harpers Ferry, John Brown & his rebels were defeated by troops commanded by this man who 2 years later led a rebel army himself

Travis Gaylord: 11000+6201=17201 (3x = $37,203)
Paige Hermansen: 8600+6400=15000
Justin Joseph: 6400-6399=1

Correct response:
Spoiler
Robert E. Lee (Justin – Hamit [going for Hamilton])

Daily Doubles
Travis: 1200+1200
Justin: 5600-3000
Justin: 7400-3000

Coryats
Travis: 10200
Paige: 8600
Justin: 12400

Combined: 31,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Travis: 4600
Paige: 3800
Justin: 3600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

When you wish you were not the fastest on the buzzer: Oliver North as the director of W :o

Travis is 4/4 on big clues. His opponents are 2/14 if I counted correctly. Justin today was 0/3 and it's quite hard to win that way even if you are best on the buzzer.

If anyone cares to hear some of Justin's voice work: http://justinrjoseph.com/reel

The clue selection had $5400 in value not played while if there are going to be four clues not seen I would prefer the total be $1200.

A shaking my head miss on the FJ! clue as I never thought of the obvious and instead wrote Quantril. I put then pen down though did think about the surname probably having another L. The wise guy in me thought of Golf's comment yesterday and I picked up my pen to add William. At least that was right for the first name.

That kind of miss is easier to take at home while it would have been a haunter on stage.

Yay, a combined Coryat over 31000 today to get things trending upwards after the low number yesterday. Travis may only have an 8733 Coryat average while good for him still standing at the champ's spot heading into game 4.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Instaget FJ. Methinks this is going to poll at >90%.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Yeah. To pick anyone else would be to overthink it for no reason. If anyone did pick a different Confederate general I'd be interested in knowing what in the clue led them to their choice.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:42 pm Yeah. To pick anyone else would be to overthink it for no reason. If anyone did pick a different Confederate general I'd be interested in knowing what in the clue led them to their choice.
I didn't, but I did have a brief moment of mild discomfort because Lee didn't lead an army until Johnston was wounded at Seven Pines in '62. I had no idea though of what date in 1859 Harpers Ferry was, but it turns out to have been about two years and four-and-a-half months before Seven Pines. So "2" is in fact the nearest whole number.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Golf

Post by Golf »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:39 am A shaking my head miss on the FJ! clue as I never thought of the obvious and instead wrote Quantril. I put then pen down though did think about the surname probably having another L. The wise guy in me thought of Golf's comment yesterday and I picked up my pen to add William. At least that was right for the first name.
Wise guy, meet karma. Karma, meet wise guy. :lol: :lol: :lol:
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran State Songs, but was 0/5 in World Leaders.

Any reason I should know William the Conqueror, especially when just spotted the years? That seemed leagues more obscure than Saddam Hussein or Napoleon.

Also struggled on the Movie category. NHO the $400 or $600 movies, and said Selleck for Reynolds.

Red Algae at $800 was my only NHOI/miss in Colorful.

Overthought "tide" in "Ide"s and said "mudslide" instead, also missed "grail".

War is literally the most boring thing in history class. I thought Harpers Ferry was involved in the Revolutionary War and had absolutely no idea what to even guess. Even if I got to Civil War I still would've had zero clue who to put down, since literally all I know of Robert E. Lee is that "there was someone named Robert E. Lee who did a thing in some war a billion years ago." Not like it mattered since i had a lock.

Lach Trash: Wind River, soccer, regicide. Also got the Blue Ridge Mountains and orphanage DDs
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

Coryat: $41,000 (48R, 2W)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT ($6,000): Caligula, you’ll be sorry, Blue Ridge (DD), regicide, orphanage (DD), Haifa

Sometimes the obvious FJ answer is the best, and that was the case today.
Last edited by True North on Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:33 pm Any reason I should know William the Conqueror, especially when just spotted the years?
1066 and Battle of Hastings are Pavlovs for William the Conqueror. That was on one of the online tests last week.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:42 pm Yeah. To pick anyone else would be to overthink it for no reason. If anyone did pick a different Confederate general I'd be interested in knowing what in the clue led them to their choice.
One thing that briefly sidetracked me was remembering that there was a famous Confederate figure who witnessed John Brown's execution shortly after the raid. Then I remembered that figure was John Wilkes Booth, obviously not a general.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

True North wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:01 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:33 pm Any reason I should know William the Conqueror, especially when just spotted the years?
1066 and Battle of Hastings are Pavlovs for William the Conqueror. That was on one of the online tests last week.
I go back to "war is absolutely boring". I know there is someone named William the Conqueror, but couldn't tell you thing one about him.
True North wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:59 pm Sometimes the obvious FJ answer is the best, and that was the case today.
I think I got Harpers Ferry and Valley Forge mixed up somehow. "John Brown" should have steered me to Civil War, but I doubt it would have been enough for me.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:04 pm

I think I got Harpers Ferry and Valley Forge mixed up somehow. "John Brown" should have steered me to Civil War, but I doubt it would have been enough for me.
I will forever associate John Brown with the John Steuart Curry painting "Tragic Prelude" in the Kansas State Capitol:

https://www.wikiart.org/en/john-steuart ... elude-1940

He was a very interesting guy. Very staunch Calvinist, even more staunch anti-racist.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I happened to know Lee captured Brown. It is one of those odd facts you run across about someone famous doing something other than the thing they are famous for.

Some weird moments made for an entertaining game.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Ironhorse wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:07 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:04 pm

I will forever associate John Brown with the John Steuart Curry painting "Tragic Prelude" in the Kansas State Capitol:

https://www.wikiart.org/en/john-steuart ... elude-1940
I immediately knew which painting you meant, as it was the cover art for Kansas's debut album. 8-)
Oliver North for Oliver Stone, there's a J! clue waiting to be written. :lol:
Easy FJ, but where did Hamilton come from? :shock:
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $35,000 (45R, 1W)
DD 2/3
FJ :mrgreen:

"orphanage" supposedly rhyming with "smidge" is a biiit of a stretch, but I've seen worse, I guess. Disappointed not to see the bottom two clues in Genetic Disorders; I would have had a good shot at those.

I happened to know FJ cold, but it could have been read as "name the first leader of a rebel army you can think of."

Congrats to Travis, dude just keeps plugging along...
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:04 pm I know there is someone named William the Conqueror, but couldn't tell you thing one about him
You can credit him with bringing the zh sound to English. Words like Leisure, treasure, pleasure, azure...

Twitter has lost its Mind Over fridge. It might be the worst answer in a showtunes category since you a contestant on another show was asked what four letter thing starting with L did Henry Higgins make out of Eliza Doolittle. He answered "sausages." Bill Cullen deadpanned that it was a great idea for a new musical.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

mas3cf wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:56 pm
I happened to know FJ cold, but it could have been read as "name the first leader of a rebel army you can think of."
In light of today's news about Kirk Douglas, my mind went elsewhere in response to that particular question.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Fridge actually came to mind, but I knew that sounded silly I then came up with bridge, but you can’t be in a bridge, so I clammed. I agree the rhyme was a bit of a stretch.