Friday, February 7, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, February 7, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, February 7, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
QUOTES ABOUT 19th CENTURY AUTHORS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This author "showed that abysses may exist inside a governess", a heroine who was a "commonplace spinster"

Patrick Rice: 11000-5199=5801
Gauravi Shah: 15400+10201=25601 (New Champ)
Brenda Gant: 12800-10001=2799

Correct response:
Spoiler
Charlotte Brontë (Patrick – Emily Dickinson) (Gauravi – Charlotte Brönte) (Brenda – Emily Brontë)

Daily Doubles
Gauravi: 3600-1000
Gauravi: 9000+2000
Brenda: 8800+3200

Coryats
Patrick: 11000
Gauravi: 16000
Brenda: 11600

Combined: 38,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Patrick: 5400
Gauravi: 7000
Brenda: 400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Alex had a tough time with Gauravi's name when calling on her as he was making her two syllables into three.

The game had a Subaru clue but the players were mostly better than that board moniker today.

There was a Kobe clue, but it was about the meat and the NBAer.

The players were 2/5 in the Frederick category while I was 5/5 and I can't wait to see how Lucario does with with it to see if he was those older names in his Rolodex.

The FJ! category had me precall Twain, Dickens, Austen, Hugo and Stoker for J! favs. The clue had me match Gauravi for the solve though I did not bother with the umlaut guessing game where Gauravi failed. There won't be any objections to anyone adding the necessary first name in this game and ouch for anyone that matched Brenda's miss.

When I see "governess" I think Jane Eyre and with the category it's not like I"m going to go astray to "nanny" Mary Poppins (Travers) or R&H's Maria von Trapp. From there it's knowing the right sister and while in 1984 it's possible I might have botched it, in 2020 it's a lock.

Patrick would have won on a TS clue, but while tough for him it was not difficult enough to get by the new champ.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Spoiler
I went with Dickens via Miss Havisham.... putting my ignorance on display here, how would one arrive at Charlotte Brontë?
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

mas3cf wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:28 pm
Spoiler
I went with Dickens via Miss Havisham.... putting my ignorance on display here, how would one arrive at Charlotte Brontë?
In real life, CB worked as a governess and HATED it.
ChexMix
Valued Contributor

Post by ChexMix »

Spoiler
For me, it was knowing Jane Eyre as being described as a Governess. Briefly considered Flaubert, but without knowing as much about his title heroine, figured Charlotte was a better fit.
xabe
Valued Contributor

Post by xabe »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:03 pm
Spoiler
In real life, CB worked as a governess and HATED it.
Yeah, to me the TOM here was recognizing that the quote is really about both the character and the author. Otherwise it's a bit contrived to have a clue that asks for one while describing the other.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Cool clue of the day:
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Regarding FJ, I remembered this previous reference. I wonder if the players today were given any advice regarding specificity.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Lefty wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:45 pm Regarding FJ, I remembered this previous reference. I wonder if the players today were given any advice regarding specificity.
I was wondering the same thing. Would a last name only be acceptable? Any advice on specifying a first name could be seen as a clue itself.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Leander wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:11 pm
Lefty wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:45 pm Regarding FJ, I remembered this previous reference. I wonder if the players today were given any advice regarding specificity.
I was wondering the same thing. Would a last name only be acceptable? Any advice on specifying a first name could be seen as a clue itself.
Wondering this as well, but after seeing that all three contestants specified a first name, including two Bronte’s, that’s probably the best clue short of hearing from one of the contestants.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I can't see Bronte alone being sufficient. Not the slightest clue on this one, Literally the only thing I know about Jane Eyre is that Charlotte Bronte wrote it. Guessed Dickens.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Another awesome Coryat for me: $34,200.

Any reason I should know that the Marines are the "most masculine" of the Armed Forces?

"Wagyu" is one of those words that SHOULD be a Hawley-Smoot, but always slips out of my head when I need it. And I've eaten wagyu.

If I've encountered the word "mercenary" before, then it sure didn't stick.

Easily ran Egyptian Mythology. We sturied Egyptian, Roman, and Greek mythology in 6th grade, but for some reason only the former of these ever managed to stick. I think playing Scarab of Ra helped.

NHO "make out like a bandit" and the TOMs just gummed up my thought processes. Yet again, always have to bat an eye when the top box is my only miss.

No guess on FJ! Much like the word "Mercenary", I know that there is something called Jane Eyre but couldn't tell you a damn thing about it. I can match Wuthering Heights to Emily, but never knew that the other two sisters had any other claim to fame other than "sisters of a famous author".

Lach trash: megaphone, stripper, New World, Fred Astaire
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $43,800 (50R, 0W)
DD 2/3
FJ :(

Okay, I am making it a point to never miss a Nora Ephron clue again. I don't think I have ever pulled her name when she has come up, not once.

My best Coryat of the season (and first 50R game, I think), and I clammed on two clues that could have put me at over 45k. 2/5 in each of Women and Freds, 46/50 in everything else.

Got tripped up by 'spinster' in FJ. Turns out 'governess' was the key word. :(
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:49 pm If I've encountered the word "mercenary" before, then it sure didn't stick.
It was barely 2 1/2 months ago (11/25/19):

"I have no clue what "mercenary" even means, so I'm surprised I actually got one right in that category."

You didn't, however, know what it was back in July, 2017.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:09 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:49 pm If I've encountered the word "mercenary" before, then it sure didn't stick.
It was barely 2 1/2 months ago (11/25/19):

"I have no clue what "mercenary" even means, so I'm surprised I actually got one right in that category."

You didn't, however, know what it was back in July, 2017.
Said it before: War stuff just goes in one ear and out the other for me.
Golf

Post by Golf »

This is how you should always put this.
NHO "make out like a bandit"
Never put it like this.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Ran Egyptian Mythology & Songs for Every Member of the Family, particularly enjoying the "Carry On, Wayward Son" clue. 8-)
Guessed Jane Austen on FJ. :(
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Welp, I punted on that FJ!. I immediately thought it was either one of the Brontes (with the umlaut, which I'm too lazy to find here) or Austen. When I see "female heroines, 19th century", those are my go-tos - authors that Lisa Simpson would love.

Unfortunately, I was too chicken to decide between Charlotte, Emily, and the lesser-known Anne. I went with Austen. Oops. I'm certain I've read at least one book from Jane Austen, Charlotte Bronte, or Emily Bronte, but I couldn't tell you which. I know I've seen numerous movies from each of them - both originals and loose adaptations. Whatever. I'll have to put my finger and my thumb in the shape of an L on my forehead for this one.

I was too trigger-happy on "voter registration" and gave it as my response to the "freedom rides". When it popped up in the next clue, spotting a "V" and an "R", I rolled my eyes and just popped a "1" in my spreadsheet.

I don't know how, but I got "Nora Ephron" from simply the title of the book - didn't need "You've Got Mail". Oddly, this past week, I watched the 2016 musical revival of "She Loves Me" with Zach Levi on PBS cold, with no previous reading or knowledge of the musical. The whole time I thought "This must be related to 'You've Got Mail'". Yup - both come from the Hungarian play "Parfumerie", which also spawned Jimmy Stewart's "Shop Around the Corner".

For the second DD of the evening, my first thought was "Wait, isn't Ra the Egyptian sun god?" Again, another relatively easy get for me.

Clueless on Radio City Music Hall, but I at least knew it wasn't the Metropolitan Opera House - been there, and the picture didn't look at all like it. But couldn't pull Radio City in time.