FJs for the 2/3/20 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 2/3/20 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:47 pm

This 150- by 2.5-mile area created in 1953 is now home to more than 100 endangered & protected species
70%
A drawing of it by John Hunter, naturalist & governor of New South Wales, published in 1802 labels it Ornithorhyncus paradoxus
76%
At Harpers Ferry, John Brown & his rebels were defeated by troops commanded by this man who 2 years later led a rebel army himself
75%
Canada, Belgium & the U.S. are among nations that bestow this artistic title that dates to the Greeks & a tree sacred to Apollo
89%
This author "showed that abysses may exist inside a governess", a heroine who was a "commonplace spinster"  
44%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
22%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
1%
STATE OF THE ESTATE $400: The Turner-Ingersoll Mansion, AKA The House of the Seven Gables
49%
NEWER WORLD HERITAGE SITES $400: UNESCO mentioned the picturesque & romantic movements when it added this English "district" beloved by Coleridge
52%
WORLD LEADERS $1000: Popular in 37 A.D., this man whose name means "little boot" was sent walking 4 years later
58%
ADMIRABLE ADMIRALS $2000: This admiral's tombstone at Arlington National Cemetery calls him the "Father of the Nuclear Navy" - I was correct with (Hyman) Rickover.
25%
ADMIRABLE ADMIRALS $2000: This admiral's tombstone at Arlington National Cemetery calls him the "Father of the Nuclear Navy" - I negged with (Chester) Nimitz.
23%
I missed the Tuesday FJ! clue with something that is not a mammal.
14%
I had just "laureate" for the Thursday FJ! clue .
8%
I included "poet" for the Thursday FJ! clue.
63%
Jane Austen was my incorrect response for the Friday FJ! clue.
19%

Total votes: 93

Ironhorse
Second Banana

Re: FJs for the 2/3/20 week

Post by Ironhorse »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Jane Austen.
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

Ironhorse wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:41 pm :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Jane Austen.
Perhaps we are twins, separated at birth. This was exactly my FJ week. Don't have a clue why it is so hard for me to remember Britlit authors/titles, when much more obscure stuff comes so naturally to me. Jane Austen. Sheesh.
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

:( :oops: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I knew platypus immediately from paradoxus, then became confused by the ornith- part, completely forgetting the duckbill thing... :roll: Ended up writing dodo, overlooking the category...
NH for MA...
"Father of the Nuclear Navy" is about all I know of Hyman Rickover...
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Finally get to take this poll and it turns out to be a perfect week. Nice. I checked the "Negged with Nimitz" box (worst campaign button ever) even though I likely would have clammed. But from the couch, that was the name I called out and I was surprised when Travis got zonked for the same reply. Unlike others, I didn't have enough knowledge to then switch my guess to Rickover. It was Nimitz or Nothing. (Ok, that's a better slogan, but it still needs work.)

The DMZ was pure WECIB. 150 miles long, 2.5 wide. Somewhere in Asia. It didn't seem quite right because I thought the clue implied that the area was created as an animal sanctuary or similar. But the lack of alternative had me sticking with DMZ and feeling more confident about it as the music neared the end. When Alex said, "And all of these species have moved in there because of the absence of man," I pretty much knew I had it.

Mammal + New South Wales + Ornithorhyncus paradoxus (which is Greek/Latin for "has a bird-lookin' part but ain't no bird") led me to platypus almost immediately. I spent the rest of the music deciding whether to prepend "duck-billed". I decided against it just in case that was TMI, but worried about getting dinged for not being specific enough. Mrs Penguin added the qualifier. So we were both relived by the results. Travis was ruled correct for "platypus" on its own and Alex added the "duck-billed".

"Led a rebel army" had to be Robert E. Lee. The description doesn't fit anyone else in that category and time frame.

Left "poet" off of "laureate" and was confident the response would be correct either way.

It's been 38 years since I read Jane Eyre, but I remember it well enough to make Charlotte Brontë a gimme. Plenty of sympathy, though, for anyone who went with Austen. It does sound like her, though I'm not sure she ever lowered her focus to the governess class. The boardie who guessed Dickens may have been going more in the right direction on that basis. Sympathy as well for the contestant that negged with Emily, Charlotte's sister and author of Wuthering Heights. That didn't cost her the game but it did cost $1000. It's worth getting those two sorted in your head before going on the show.

In the fourth podium poll for 2/4/2020 I discussed Mrs Penguin's response of "What is the Lakes district?" and argued for accepting it, especially in a game that let a contestant slide with "Hundred Acre Woods".

Surprised that only 58% knew that Caligula means "little boot". I think I learned that from I, CLAVDIVS and it stuck. That book and the sequel are worth reading, both in general and for Jeopardy! purposes. I never saw the BBC series that aired on Masterpiece Theatre in 1976, but I imagine it would be effective for the same purpose.