Learned League 84

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

xabe
Valued Contributor

Re: Learned League 84

Post by xabe »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:06 pm I've heard of chenille, but never associated it with rugs. Seems like you'd really need to know the French word for caterpillar to get that one right.
Yup - I was pleasantly surprised to see my opponent didn't take my French last name into consideration and threw me three points for something I probably learned as a toddler.
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

Did anyone get tomato based on its being "beloved in Jersey"? I, for the record, did not--didn't get it at all, in fact.

Chenille was a proud get. I came up with several words meaning "butterfly" (mariposa, papillon, and vanessa), but none sounded promising. Then "chenille" occurred to me as a French-seeming word that I seemed to connect with rugs.

I was happy to come up with "Grosse Point Blank" as a thing (thought not a TV show, it turns out) from the 90s that references a Detroit suburb, and went with "blank" as my answer, while worrying that people who simply left a blank would also receive credit.
I'm smart and I want respect.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

A hint steered me wrong on the Friday set. Going through literally all the state capitals, I had Trenton, Atlanta, Little Rock, and Jackson as the likeliest to have a high percentage of black population. Left with just the raw question and the #2 and #3 cities provided, I would have gone Jackson, since Mississippi is between Louisiana and Alabama. But I correctly assumed the nonsensical mentions of Hollywood and Harlem constituted a song reference, and not knowing what song it was, guessed that Atlanta would be the best fit in a song's lyrics. I missed two points on that and lost 4(4)-5(4).
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I lost a coin flip with Atlanta. Looking back, it seems less likely a really big city would have such a huge percentage of black population. Luckily it was my zero point question.

I won thanks to getting three for the Oklahoma drill, despite my high get rate on sports. I got a chuckle that Alabama was the MCWA.
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:45 am A hint steered me wrong on the Friday set. Going through literally all the state capitals, I had Trenton, Atlanta, Little Rock, and Jackson as the likeliest to have a high percentage of black population. Left with just the raw question and the #2 and #3 cities provided, I would have gone Jackson, since Mississippi is between Louisiana and Alabama. But I correctly assumed the nonsensical mentions of Hollywood and Harlem constituted a song reference, and not knowing what song it was, guessed that Atlanta would be the best fit in a song's lyrics. I missed two points on that and lost 4(4)-5(4).
Bruno Mars- Uptown Funk. Great ear worm for me! Regrettably, it did not help me, and I am still winless and looking forward to B Magnolia.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:41 am I won thanks to getting three for the Oklahoma drill, despite my high get rate on sports. I got a chuckle that Alabama was the MCWA.
Can't say I ever recall hearing of the Oklahoma drill.

That and "Oklahoma" is not a geographic name.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:47 am
Bamaman wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:41 am I won thanks to getting three for the Oklahoma drill, despite my high get rate on sports. I got a chuckle that Alabama was the MCWA.

A point for me with "Oklahoma" and no "drill" while getting a 0 for knowing "Mack the Knife". It did not matter as I had the "honor" of facing 1 of the 2 out of 26 with a 9(6).
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I have vaguely heard of it but couldn’t tell you exactly what it is. If he had said it is named after a state and hadn’t given Wilkinson’s name, I doubt I get it.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Lefty wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:52 am Did anyone get tomato based on its being "beloved in Jersey"? I, for the record, did not--didn't get it at all, in fact.
I grew up in Jersey. So did my wife, who was from Burlington County and heard the story from her father. Had I whiffed on the tomato question, my E-Z Pass would have been invalidated.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

econgator wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:47 am

Answered "Oklahomas" and got credit for it.

The Oklahoma drill lines up a ball carrier and a blocker against a defensive lineman and a defensive back/linebacker. On "go", the ball carrier tries to get past them. It's a fairly narrow field of play for this drill, so the ball carrier can't just run around everyone.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:45 am A hint steered me wrong on the Friday set. Going through literally all the state capitals, I had Trenton, Atlanta, Little Rock, and Jackson as the likeliest to have a high percentage of black population. Left with just the raw question and the #2 and #3 cities provided, I would have gone Jackson, since Mississippi is between Louisiana and Alabama. But I correctly assumed the nonsensical mentions of Hollywood and Harlem constituted a song reference, and not knowing what song it was, guessed that Atlanta would be the best fit in a song's lyrics. I missed two points on that and lost 4(4)-5(4).
My first impression was, "It has to be Jackson, Mississippi". But then Hollywood and Harlem somehow led me to Spike Lee, who is from Atlanta--which, of course, was the wrong answer. Classic case of overthinking a question--or being tone deaf to song lyrics.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I tied two days in a row, largely because my opponents pulled 3 pointers in categories that they were historically weak in. Thursday they did it with chenille, and yesterday they did it with The Bluest Eye. I really would not have guessed that The Bluest Eye would play that much easier than Scipio. I have the second fewest TCA in my rundle and am currently last in defense with an abysmal .517. Luckily I am barely sitting above the relegation zone.

Jackson seemed kind of obvious, given that the capitals of Mississippi's neighbors were mentioned in the question, but I just didn't see what else it could be except for maybe Little Rock. But I am also pretty sure that I had heard that fact about Jackson before.

Planck and Heisenberg were my first thoughts on the science question, but I went with Lorentz--who was not even German!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:41 am I lost a coin flip with Atlanta. Looking back, it seems less likely a really big city would have such a huge percentage of black population. Luckily it was my zero point question.

I won thanks to getting three for the Oklahoma drill, despite my high get rate on sports. I got a chuckle that Alabama was the MCWA.
I tried with 'Alabama Slammer' *shrug*
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Blue Lion wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:35 am
Lefty wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:52 am Did anyone get tomato based on its being "beloved in Jersey"? I, for the record, did not--didn't get it at all, in fact.
I grew up in Jersey. So did my wife, who was from Burlington County and heard the story from her father. Had I whiffed on the tomato question, my E-Z Pass would have been invalidated.
Ha! Jersey tomato. Done
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Blue Lion wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:39 am
My first impression was, "It has to be Jackson, Mississippi". But then Hollywood and Harlem somehow led me to Spike Lee, who is from Atlanta--which, of course, was the wrong answer. Classic case of overthinking a question--or being tone deaf to song lyrics.
Of course, Lee's middle name is Jackson ("of course", because I just looked it up).
I'm smart and I want respect.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

My opponent gave me three points on the "Mack the Knife" question? Really? Obviously, he doesn't know me very well. I gave him a zero for it because he has a great score in pop music questions. OK, it's only my fourth best category but three points?

I know I shouldn't complain because it was a giveaway three points for me, but it mattered not as my opponent had a perfect score and I did not.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

After eight games, I have a winning record in A... but only one 3-pointer. I figure I'll need at least ten in the final seventeen matches, and a ton of luck, to climb up to the top 3.
Hoping for a third lap
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:39 am Congrats to ClassicRoadster for the 6-pack yesterday to continue the beatdown in our JBoard dummy room rundle.

It seems like each day I glance at the questions and think four of them will be a blank submission and gradually fill in guesses. This is the genius of Thorsten's clue writing. By the time I finished, I thought I had a shot at my first six pack yesterday. Yeah, not. First I screwed the pooch on the TV show choosing between "tool" and "time", which of course was the fictional TV program on Home Improvement :roll: . Then the Japanese looking words (I guessed Tai Chi which could be fake ancient) turned out to be Swahili (or something) and burlesque turned into vaudeville.
Only my third ever, but the one I was the least sure of. It took me most of the day to remember the name Home Improvement as I didn't watch the show, and I had no clue about the soap or the adult swim thing so home was a 50/50 guess.I knew Lyme only cold (NHPR podcast about its origins called Patient Zero, interesting listen). Vaudeville popped in my head thinking about early 1900s theater genres, figured it sounded french enough and I knew burlesque was a thing other than the Americas. Kwanzaa came to me as an African faith-related creation from the 60s but I didn't feel too good about it, same with the tomato one although I felt like I'd heard somewhere that people thought tomatoes were poisonous. Euclid is the father of basic geometry so while Pythagoras crossed my mind I felt good about that one.

And the beat down is over, as we are now tied 4-4...However,I am actually in 6th in my first season in C thanks in large part to my 7/8 in Science which has been one of my weaker categories despite a Civil Engineering profession and oodles of science classes in college.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I had my third straight tie yesterday, this one 7(4)-7(5). I thought that Sancho Panza was the name of the donkey from Don Quixote :oops: I also considered Run D.M.C., but I remembered hearing the news story back when the one guy from the group died and thought for sure that I would at least recognize his name. I didn't, and guessed Three Six Mafia.

But I did get lucky on a couple of them. I never knew that there was an electronics company called Covid, but I guessed it since I had nothing else. Then my thought process on the actors question was to think of actors with short names. Tom Hanks? Brad Pitt? Done.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

StevenH wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:23 am I had my third straight tie yesterday, this one 7(4)-7(5). I thought that Sancho Panza was the name of the donkey from Don Quixote :oops: I also considered Run D.M.C., but I remembered hearing the news story back when the one guy from the group died and thought for sure that I would at least recognize his name. I didn't, and guessed Three Six Mafia.
My Kosman koin came up with Public Enemy, and I only got halfway to the actor's name, putting Brad Butler down (forgot Pitt was in Big East), hoping that he was some sort of actor :oops: