Learned League 84

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Learned League 84

Post by morbeedo »

Looking for a photo of me taken outside radio city music hall c. 1988 at the Siouxsie and the Banshees concert. Determined to find it!
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

classicroadster wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:54 pm
Bamaman wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:28 pm Thorsten now has unlimited advanced access for the rest of the season if you need it.

I also noticed you can now block people from tracking you if you want.
Is there somewhere to see if you are being tracked? And are you saying you can select who tracks you, or just make it so no one can track you?
You can block individuals from tracking you, or opt out completely. I do not believe there is a way to tell who is tracking you.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:14 pm
Bamaman wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:28 pm Thorsten now has unlimited advanced access for the rest of the season if you need it.

Is there somewhere to see if you are being tracked? And are you saying you can select who tracks you, or just make it so no one can track you?
You can block individuals from tracking you, or opt out completely. I do not believe there is a way to tell who is tracking you.
That has always been the case; that's a new feature.

I wonder how many of the 14% who got Apu right just randomly guessed the name Apu from The Simpsons and got lucky. Heck, I watched Pather Panchali a while back, and I wasn't coming up with Apu in a million years.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:45 pm

I wonder how many of the 14% who got Apu right just randomly guessed the name Apu from The Simpsons and got lucky. Heck, I watched Pather Panchali a while back, and I wasn't coming up with Apu in a million years.
Keeping Up with the Criterions: https://www.criterion.com/boxsets/1145-the-apu-trilogy
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Volante wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:52 pm Keeping Up with the Criterions: https://www.criterion.com/boxsets/1145-the-apu-trilogy
Watching one of them was brutal enough; I'm not sure I can sit through two more of them.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

alietr wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:45 pm

I remembered a clue from the Million Dollar Masters Tourney, but I convinced myself I didn't know the name. Another 10 minutes of brainstorming, and it might have come to me.

I alway check the Archive after questions I miss, as a gauge of how "hard" or "obscure" something is. I found out that clue had a typo (probably entered by me), but I waited until after the match day was over before submitting the correction, just in case my co-Archivists hadn't played yet. Maybe I should put them on my Player Tracker!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

There isn’t a way to know who is stalking you. If you go to the player tracker page, there is a box to check to opt out of being tracked. You can either do a global block or just individual people.

However, if you block someone you aren’t able to track them. And if you block everyone you can’t block anyone.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:23 pm

There isn’t a way to know who is stalking you. If you go to the player tracker page, there is a box to check to opt out of being tracked. You can either do a global block or just individual people.

However, if you block someone you aren’t able to track them. And if you block everyone you can’t block anyone.
Your weird obsession with thinking this is creepy continually befuddles me. But anyway to clarify the facts, you can't globally opt out of being tracked, you can opt out of having your "submitted" status visible during a live match day. Everything else on the tracker is information available to all learned league members, simply a convenient way for players to see players of their choosing organized on one page, aka to follow their friends.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

alietr wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:45 pmI wonder how many of the 14% who got Apu right just randomly guessed the name Apu from The Simpsons and got lucky. Heck, I watched Pather Panchali a while back, and I wasn't coming up with Apu in a million years.
At least one of us knew of the Apu trilogy, though I'm not sure when I picked it up.
Pavlovs: India + director = [Satyajit] Ray
Asian/Chinese director + double-talk name: Run Run Shaw
In and out of the pool four times
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

jeff6286 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:12 pm

Your weird obsession with thinking this is creepy continually befuddles me. But anyway to clarify the facts, you can't globally opt out of being tracked, you can opt out of having your "submitted" status visible during a live match day. Everything else on the tracker is information available to all learned league members, simply a convenient way for players to see players of their choosing organized on one page, aka to follow their friends.
I am well aware my daily results are open for all to see. Anyone that obsessed with how I did in my D rundle can click on my name and look it up. Whether I have submitted or not is of no one’s concern but my own. I have forfeited once in 23 seasons so I don’t need a nanny.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:43 pm

I am well aware my daily results are open for all to see. Anyone that obsessed with how I did in my D rundle can click on my name and look it up. Whether I have submitted or not is of no one’s concern but my own. I have forfeited once in 23 seasons so I don’t need a nanny.
I’m not really looking to change your thinking on the matter, but I use the Submitted feature to know when it’s safe to discuss a match days questions with my pub trivia teammates (one of whom lives distantly from me). Yes, I could ask them, but this obviates the need to do so.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:43 pm

No one is obsessed with how you did. I might even venture to say that nobody cares if YOU have submitted. Many others have friends in the league and enjoy talking about the questions with them, and it's a benefit to be able to see who has submitted and who hasn't.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

TFW you’re agonizing over defense but you have a sinking feeling that your opponent will likely pull a 9(6), then it happens and everything feels futile
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

What novel is known in its native language as Война и мир (Vojna i mir)?

This is one of those questions where I take knowledge from something unrelated and use it to answer a trivia question:

I began by trying to recognize the language, of the first part, and when I couldn't do that, looked at each word individually, this time including what was in the parenthesis. When I got to the last word, I knew that was the name of the Russian space station, and remembered that the name Mir meant peace.

Russian novel with the word peace...War and Peace.

Now if only I didn't change Richter to Decibel because of the word "technology" in the question.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

I've already posted this on LL but that Richter question was the first one I've had a real problem with since, as the question is asked, there is no correct answer. Not only does the Richter scale measure magnitude and not intensity, it is has not been used really since the 70's. Now, since people were familiar with it and I think its a catchy name, it's still in the vernacular but know that whenever anyone talks about earthquake magnitude they are referring to what is called the moment magnitude. I did not remember that mercalli was the intensity scale, and since I knew Richter couldn't be right, I went way off the board with scoville and defended it hard. It didn't matter at the end of the day as both opponents got Richter and I won anyway 5(4)-4(3) in regular rundle and 7(4)- 6(4) against 12 ft boy. Repeated questions are so hard to defend but I knew it both times and so did my regular opponent.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Today I had a failure. I somehow read the question about Elizabeth II's newest great-grandchild as saying its name was the same length as hers. I thought, "Well, he's Archie, but A-R-C-H-I-B-A-L-D; E-L-I-Z-A-B-E-T-H. Both nine letters, there you go!" I tied 6(4)-6(4), with that question being worth 2 points for me.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:58 am Today I had a failure. I somehow read the question about Elizabeth II's newest great-grandchild as saying its name was the same length as hers. I thought, "Well, he's Archie, but A-R-C-H-I-B-A-L-D; E-L-I-Z-A-B-E-T-H. Both nine letters, there you go!" I tied 6(4)-6(4), with that question being worth 2 points for me.
I thought of Archie, and thought of his mother Megan and couldn't make it work. I had no idea there was a phantom H. It didn't a win, just a beer.
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:58 am Today I had a failure. I somehow read the question about Elizabeth II's newest great-grandchild as saying its name was the same length as hers. I thought, "Well, he's Archie, but A-R-C-H-I-B-A-L-D; E-L-I-Z-A-B-E-T-H. Both nine letters, there you go!"
Same. When I saw the answer after submitting it still took me embarrassingly long to figure out how Archie was correct. I think I re-read the q 4 times before I figured it out.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

forgot the word "Equatorial" at least I didn't take a tie/loss because of it.

Currently out of relegation, fighting to stay in C.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Yesterday might've been my closest but no cigar day ever...on first read through I had nothing for sure. THought about the surf rock, knew I knew it. Ok, driving, drag racing, get 409 out of brain..dead mans curve. Ok, African nation with islands and mainland? My geography is good but not that good as I guessed Cape Verde. Went with red dress over blue dress (thats a song dummy, not a book. Guess its both). Video games are not my strength and we had Sega and not Super NES, but I did remember there was a Bond game that was super popular. However, I can't for the life of me remember any Pierce Brosnan movies. I went with License to Kill. Went with Albatross on 5, and I couldn't care less about the royals so I tried to figure out if I should use Kate or Katherine as the moms name. All added up to a loss which dropped me from 4th to 6th in my first season in C and likely any chance at a miraculous promotion to B.