Learned League 84

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Re: Learned League 84

Post by StevenH »

Yesterday was a disaster. I spent the first half of my work day trying to remember the name of Truman's VP. I wrote a question about him way back when and remembered that he was from Kentucky, but couldn't pull his name until a few hours later. I figured that it could turn out to be the more obvious answer, but the VP seemed like a better possibility.

I know next to nothing about Star Trek but got Khan right away, and I considered Spock for the other but went with Vulcans.

I locked in on Giotto for the art question and never really considered anyone else. I should have thought through that one more carefully.

The end result was a 2(1)-4(2) loss.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I managed a six-pack yesterday, played perfect defense, and still managed to fall from third to fourth in my rundle rankings! That was a bit of a kick in the teeth.
1stlvlthinker
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:25 am
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:06 am Today I Learned: the game "Cootie" isn't anywhere near as universally known as I thought.
To be fair, I knew exactly which game the question was about, but couldn't remember the title.
Literally me. I can see the game in my head, I can see the game on the shelves at Target, but I couldn't remember the name of it.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

My friend wrote a play "Reporter Girl" about her grandmother, Dale Messick, and that was good enough for 3 points!

I thought of the Oakland Raiders as my guess. I need to spend 15 minutes going over current NFL teams.
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

I made my dumbest mistake ever yesterday (in LL, that is, I've made some doozies in real life), but got away clean. I knew the Suriname Netherlands connection instantly but when it came time to submit I typed Suriname. What can I say. Hopefully one of these days I'll remember Check Your Work! My opponent gave me zero for the question and I prevailed 7(4) 3(3).
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Film is my second best at .764 and I got a 3 for Midnight Cowboy. :lol: At least my opponent knew to give me 0 for the Raiders.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:55 am My friend wrote a play "Reporter Girl" about her grandmother, Dale Messick, and that was good enough for 3 points!

I thought of the Oakland Raiders as my guess. I need to spend 15 minutes going over current NFL teams.
I take it you didn't see the banners all over Las Vegas "welcoming" the Raiders...
Total game show career losings = $171,522
KevinBohannon

Post by KevinBohannon »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:55 am My friend wrote a play "Reporter Girl" about her grandmother, Dale Messick, and that was good enough for 3 points!

You got me on a pretty bad LL day! I was excited when I linked your twitter handle on LL to my experience on J!Board about a year ago (and thanks, ConerityC for letting me in your branch).

Nice personal connection to something I had NO clue on (that said detective/reporter was my 50/50).

It didn't make sense to me why the Oakland Raiders would become the Las Vegas Raiders before the Super Bowl, so I went with Los Angeles Chargers because of the "city and team name" trigger and their recent move from San Diego.

I also stupidly put "Click" for the Bantu question... guess I should've read Trevor Noah's book and not just listened to him talk about it. He often shows off his Xhosa skills so I knew it was a click language.

Until next time...
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I wouldn't have gotten Las Vegas Raiders without the recent discussion in one of the Think Different games, so thanks for that.

Also, Blair House and Suriname were the subjects of my 2 most recent "Clues of the Game" over in the "New Old Games" thread. That helped me snag a couple of points I might not have otherwise.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:38 am

I take it you didn't see the banners all over Las Vegas "welcoming" the Raiders...
I just don’t see stuff I’m not interested in, to my obvious detriment
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

KevinBohannon wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:46 am
You got me on a pretty bad LL day! I was excited when I linked your twitter handle on LL to my experience on J!Board about a year ago (and thanks, ConerityC for letting me in your branch).

Until next time...
I know Brenda Starr from the comics, but I’m not sure I would’ve known the answer without following my friend’s story with her play. I haven’t seen her in years, but we’re still connected on FB so I should thank her.

I was surprised to see you put the 3 there and not on sports, where I do horribly. 2 theatre questions so far this season, versus 10 for games :(

Your name looked familiar but I submitted late in the day and only looked at your stats. What was the connection between @morbeedo and your Jboard experience?
KevinBohannon

Post by KevinBohannon »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:50 pm
KevinBohannon wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:46 am

Until next time...
I know Brenda Starr from the comics, but I’m not sure I would’ve known the answer without following my friend’s story with her play. I haven’t seen her in years, but we’re still connected on FB so I should thank her.

I was surprised to see you put the 3 there and not on sports, where I do horribly. 2 theatre questions so far this season, versus 10 for games :(

Your name looked familiar but I submitted late in the day and only looked at your stats. What was the connection between @morbeedo and your Jboard experience?
If a sports question is more of a "sports business" or team-level question, I probably assign points differently than if we're talking about players. I mean, you had the team right... I also answered questions in a 5 am half-asleep haze.

And there was nothing specific about morbeedo. I just remembered your user name as I was talking about playing James on Jeopardy and asking about LL. It's similar to a made up word my friend has used as a handle forever, so it stuck.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Thanks to the Current Events thread, I had Ghosn and Nissan on a flashcard. Unfortunately for me, I didn't bother to also put Renault, so I missed that. It would have taken one second to add that to the card, too. Bah.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:02 am Thanks to the Current Events thread, I had Ghosn and Nissan on a flashcard. Unfortunately for me, I didn't bother to also put Renault, so I missed that. It would have taken one second to add that to the card, too. Bah.
Yeah, I associated him with Nissan. Had no idea before yesterday that he was actually chairman of three car companies. I guessed Nissan and Mazda.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:08 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:02 am Thanks to the Current Events thread, I had Ghosn and Nissan on a flashcard. Unfortunately for me, I didn't bother to also put Renault, so I missed that. It would have taken one second to add that to the card, too. Bah.
Yeah, I associated him with Nissan. Had no idea before yesterday that he was actually chairman of three car companies. I guessed Nissan and Mazda.
I had an "ugh" moment when I saw that Thorsten wanted both companies. All but gave up hope of getting it right, but then started brainstorming and landed on Renault as vaguely right-sounding. This after 2 literal beers and a shot from winning the last round of pub trivia at the Waylon bar hosted by Austin Rogers
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I really underestimated how hard that would play. I'd got them both after earlier negging on Nissan on an Alpaca Farm current events quiz. As a result, I lost to both bomtr and cmp 6(5)-7(5) after giving them the 3 on House of Style :(
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

38% knew how to convert decimal to hexadecimal? Really?
That might've been the longest I've ever spent on a question. I got it right (and guessed the right answer first) but yikes.
Hoping for a third lap
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

sarisson wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:49 pm 38% knew how to convert decimal to hexadecimal? Really?
That might've been the longest I've ever spent on a question. I got it right (and guessed the right answer first) but yikes.
Some might actually know the discography...but I had to do the math

In fact, the first mIRC script I wrote converted between bases 2 through 36. Didn't take me long to re-remember.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9), Baby Doll (6)
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Nissan and...... Subaru

I recall reading a lot about him from scandal, arrest and through escape, but not anything about companies other than Nissan. *sigh*

OK, who remembers the brand that Nissan sold cars under in the U.S. until 1986?
Spoiler
Datsun
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Nissan & Subaru for me as well in picking two I see on TPiR. For the album I thought it had to be another set of numbers and I guessed 5150.