Learned League 84

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Learned League 84

Post by Woof »

RandyG wrote:

Nissan and...... Subaru

I recall reading a lot about him from scandal, arrest and through escape, but not anything about companies other than Nissan. *sigh*

OK, who remembers the brand that Nissan sold cars under in the U.S. until 1986?
Spoiler
Datsun
Me. I had to spend about a minute recalling what the current name was :mrgreen:
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:10 pm Nissan & Subaru for me as well in picking two I see on TPiR. For the album I thought it had to be another set of numbers and I guessed 5150.
My newest referral kneejerked Abacab.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:10 pm Nissan & Subaru for me as well in picking two I see on TPiR. For the album I thought it had to be another set of numbers and I guessed 5150.
I also went 5150
Total game show career losings = $171,522
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

Volante wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:56 pm
sarisson wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:49 pm 38% knew how to convert decimal to hexadecimal? Really?
That might've been the longest I've ever spent on a question. I got it right (and guessed the right answer first) but yikes.
Some might actually know the discography...but I had to do the math

In fact, the first mIRC script I wrote converted between bases 2 through 36. Didn't take me long to re-remember.
I LOVED this question. I don't recall ever ACTUALLY converting any values and I didn't have an algorithm based approach. It was fun to take it on by brute force and blunder into the realization that the "0" symbol goes before "1", and not after "9". The other way my numerals stopped at "E", and I knew that was bogus. Now I can do it in just a few seconds, but this took 5 minutes.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

RandyG wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:59 pm
I recall reading a lot about him from scandal, arrest and through escape, but not anything about companies other than Nissan. *sigh*

Spoiler
Datsun
Spoiler
parents had a B210.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:32 pm

Spoiler
Datsun
Spoiler
parents had a B210.
Spoiler
ooh, you had the GOOD one :lol:. I had a new 1972 Datsun 1200 with automatic transmission for $1695. I like underpowered cars, but this one couldn't handle the automatic transmission and got crappy gas mileage to go with the slothlike speed. Gas mileage was just becoming a thing, and the B210 probably got high 20's mpg and my turdmobile got 18 mpg, the same as my present Lincoln Navigator.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:08 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:02 am Thanks to the Current Events thread, I had Ghosn and Nissan on a flashcard. Unfortunately for me, I didn't bother to also put Renault, so I missed that. It would have taken one second to add that to the card, too. Bah.
Yeah, I associated him with Nissan. Had no idea before yesterday that he was actually chairman of three car companies. I guessed Nissan and Mazda.
Nissan and...... Subaru

Spoiler
Datsun
Being an F1 fan, I was 100% certain of Renault. No clue on the other and, like you, guessed Subaru.
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

sarisson wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:49 pm 38% knew how to convert decimal to hexadecimal? Really?
That might've been the longest I've ever spent on a question. I got it right (and guessed the right answer first) but yikes.
I could probably have nuked out the hexadecimal conversion if I had to, but instead I used this thought process:
It's most likely going to be all letters, or else Thorsten wouldn't have made this a question
It's very likely going to be three letters since, you know, 16 number base vs. 10 number base

Three letters from the set of abcdef, in the year 1987. It wasn't that hard to deduce.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:16 pm
triviawayne wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:32 pm

Spoiler
Datsun
Spoiler
parents had a B210.
Spoiler
ooh, you had the GOOD one :lol:. I had a new 1972 Datsun 1200 with automatic transmission for $1695. I like underpowered cars, but this one couldn't handle the automatic transmission and got crappy gas mileage to go with the slothlike speed. Gas mileage was just becoming a thing, and the B210 probably got high 20's mpg and my turdmobile got 18 mpg, the same as my present Lincoln Navigator.
Spoiler
had the coupe notchback (not hatchback), blue, manual transmission; I believe the mpg was around 35

interesting piece of automotive safety history here: my parents went with the Datsun B210 instead of the AMC Pacer (those were the two choices based on price) because child car seats back then weren't completely held in by the rear passenger seat belts--there were posts that went into the gap of the seats (between your butt and your back); and the Pacer didn't have enough of a gap.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:31 pm

In fact, the first mIRC script I wrote converted between bases 2 through 36. Didn't take me long to re-remember.
I LOVED this question. I don't recall ever ACTUALLY converting any values and I didn't have an algorithm based approach. It was fun to take it on by brute force and blunder into the realization that the "0" symbol goes before "1", and not after "9". The other way my numerals stopped at "E", and I knew that was bogus. Now I can do it in just a few seconds, but this took 5 minutes.
Despite 5 semesters of college level math, I'm not sure I ever came across hexadecimal systems. I dismissed the "spells out" part of the question and went with 5150 like others, although Bad did cross my mind. Apparently I rightly gave the 12 foot boy 0 on this one...
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

My first car was a '72 510. Fun little car, and it was a manual. When I got it, I had to teach myself how to drive a manual. I'm sure that cost me a new clutch down the road. Also, the parking brake was broken, but I didn't know about just leaving it in gear. So until I fixed the parking brake cable, I used to just wedge the tires up against the curb so it wouldn't go anywhere.

Then there was the time I drove from RI to Florida. Around Jacksonville, I stopped to check my oil. But I forget to put the cap back on. Not good. By the time I got to the West Palm Beach area, the car was smelling pretty bad. I'm pretty sure that oversight cost me an engine a few months later. Then there was another time I stopped to check something under the hood and forgot to latch it again. The hood popped up while I was driving, totally bending the hinges (besides, you know, blinding me and requiring an emergency stop). That took some effort to bend everything back into reasonable shape so I could close and open the damn thing.

In grad school, it used to haul around a now-billionaire. I tried sending a bill recently for services rendered, but no luck.

There was a big red light on the dashboard that was unlabeled. I had no idea what it was for, but there was nothing in the manual, and it never lit up. One time driving in the White Mountains in NH, it flickered on, stayed lit for a minute or so, flickered off, and never went on again. The only thing I could figure was that it was an alien detection light.

One time, I was driving from Pittsburgh to New York in the winter. Since my then-girlfriend was driving the first leg, I decided to, um, partake. When we left Pittsburgh, it was flurrying. By the time we hit the mountains, it was a full-fledged snowstorm. Little flakes of death coming directly at me since I could feel the rear tires slipping as we sped along. The car had a bit of a quirk -- when it rained, water got up into the engine compartment and would crack the distributor cap. The car would start to sputter, and eventually stall. As a result, I always carried an extra distributor cap. Sure enough, the car started to sputter, so I had her pull over at a rest stop. I get out, pop the hood, and the entire engine compartment is filled with snow. OK, this is new. As I'm assessing the situation, a Pennsylvania State Trooper pulls up next to me. Under normal conditions, I would have been more than happy for his help, but let's just say he was not someone I wanted to deal with right then. So I say, "Oh, it's OK, I've got it under control." He leans out of his window and gives a double take worthy of a comedy sketch. With eyes wide, he said, "Are you sure?!??" I said, "Oh, yeah, it happens all the time" (even though I'd never seen it like this before). Still amazed, he said "Well, I'll be going by here again and if you're still here, I can send for help." I thanked him graciously, and he took off, much to my relief. I brushed some of the snow off, popped a new distributor cap on and we continued on our way with no further trouble.

Anyway, when I moved to DC and got a real job, I could afford a real car. By this time, my little 510 had rotten floorboards so you could see the ground going by in the passenger seat and it shook between 35 and 50 MPH (probably just needed the wheels balanced).

As background, when I moved to DC, I was a bit hesitant about it being the South since I'm a Northern boy and all. Anyway, I put an ad in The Washington Post to sell the car for $250 (all my conscience would allow). When I got home that night, I had to answer the phone 10 times before I could even get to the bathroom. People would ask, "Is there anything wrong with it?" and I would be thinking, "No, you idiot, it's in perfect shape and I want to give you an amazing bargain." Anyway, some kid comes by, drives it, loves it, buys it, and gives me the money.

A few days later, I'm sitting in my office, and the phone rings. I answer it, and the voice says, "Hi, I'm the father of the boy you sold that car to." My mind instantly raced in panic as I envisioned his son dead on the side of the road with my next thought being, "Does this man own a gun?" I could only stammer out, "I-i-is everything O-O-O-K?" and he said, "Oh, yeah, kids loves the car I just need a paper signed." I sunk down in my chair in relief.

Fond memories of that cute little thing.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ha! We threed each other on Avogadro. I survived a 7(4)-6(4) because I got 2 for Transcendentalism while my opponent only got 1 for Company. We both got the easier Foreign Legion and Red ones.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:03 am Ha! We threed each other on Avogadro. I survived a 7(4)-6(4) because I got 2 for Transcendentalism while my opponent only got 1 for Company. We both got the easier Foreign Legion and Red ones.
The easier Red one is the only one I missed :?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:32 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:03 am Ha! We threed each other on Avogadro. I survived a 7(4)-6(4) because I got 2 for Transcendentalism while my opponent only got 1 for Company. We both got the easier Foreign Legion and Red ones.
Your Games/Sports & Pop Music are not your strengths. Overall league percentages show how Company was not as easy for others as it was for you in your wheelhouse.
xabe
Valued Contributor

Post by xabe »

Having watched Marriage Story a couple months ago, it was maddening being able to hum the song but having no clue which musical it came from. :?
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

classicroadster wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:56 am

Despite 5 semesters of college level math, I'm not sure I ever came across hexadecimal systems. I dismissed the "spells out" part of the question and went with 5150 like others, although Bad did cross my mind. Apparently I rightly gave the 12 foot boy 0 on this one...
You actually gave me a 1, probably because of the softball question on the Rough Riders, which led to our first tie :). I'm saddened to report the zero on Avogadro was wasted because I choked and don't relate him to gas laws at all. Hexadecimal has something to do with computers or coding and I knew I needed to have FFFF in my inventory of numerals or I might have messed it up.

I'm still punching above my weight but the hard part of the schedule is coming up and I'm missing my guesses that I feel good about. We are both in 6th right now in our rundles, so I feel safe from relegation, while you are in reach of promotion!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:41 am
morbeedo wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:32 am
Your Games/Sports & Pop Music are not your strengths. Overall league percentages show how Company was not as easy for others as it was for you in your wheelhouse.
Don’t I know it! Just 1 right out of 10 games/sports questions, and only 3 theatre questions in total so far this season
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:25 pm
classicroadster wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:56 am

You actually gave me a 1, probably because of the softball question on the Rough Riders, which led to our first tie :). I'm saddened to report the zero on Avogadro was wasted because I choked and don't relate him to gas laws at all. Hexadecimal has something to do with computers or coding and I knew I needed to have FFFF in my inventory of numerals or I might have messed it up.

I'm still punching above my weight but the hard part of the schedule is coming up and I'm missing my guesses that I feel good about. We are both in 6th right now in our rundles, so I feel safe from relegation, while you are in reach of promotion!
I think the phrase "contain the same number of molecules" (as well as saying that he was Italian ruled out Boyle) helped point me towards Avogadro, since that's what Avogadro's number (6.02 x 10^23, the number of molecules in one "mole" of any substance) deals with.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Public Service Announcement: the Midseason Classic is this weekend.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Linear Gnome wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:54 am Public Service Announcement: the Midseason Classic is this weekend.
Also, I believe it is open until noon Monday to submit answers (maybe?), so don't discuss anything until that point.