Friday, February 14, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, February 14, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, February 14, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FAMOUS FIRST LINES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
These 7 words precede, “The rain fell in torrents, except at occasional intervals”

Brooke Mackenzie: 6600+6501=13101
Terry Heard Jr.: 19000-1337=17663 (New Champ)
Jayne Niemi: 7000-6206=794

Correct response:
Spoiler
It was a dark and stormy night (Terry – Aleve) (Jayne – It was a dark s)

Daily Doubles
Terry: -1000-1000
Terry: 9800+9800
Terry: 20000-1000

Coryats
Brooke: 6600
Terry: 13200
Jayne: 7000

Combined: 26,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Brooke: 1000
Terry: 1800
Jayne: 3800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Wow will this game generate comments.

The first segment was a trainwreck. The J! round closed a little better.

The DJ! round had four clues left and both DDs hiding. Terry led 9800 to 7000 to 6600 when he found DD2. He bet everything for a stunning wager.

As Terry read the clue he looked at sea and it was easy to imagine a miss coming. Instead he pulled it out to suddenly be looking at a lock. The only problem was DD3 still remained. Terry found it and recognizing the situation with only one other clue remaining he bet just $1000.

It's not easy to win with 1/4 on big clues though Terry pulled it out thanks to guts and buzzer mastery. There were a lot, I mean a lot, of bumps along the way.

The FJ! clue had me take the Hammer with no (complete) response. I could not get a handle on it as I was not even sure I was looking for written words or spoken words. To have something I started going off "rain" for water and wrote "Water water ev" before counting that the Coleridge line was more than 7.

I had a Bible detour to Noah and Genesis which was a non-starter. Next I took "rain" to "Sun" and got nowhere fast for Hemingway's "also Rises".

Credit to Brooke for getting it and Jayne almost getting there. At some point (like with LL time - if I took the time) the light bulb would have gone off. 30 seconds (and with so much to write) it was not going to happen.

It reminds me of this DD:

#279, aired 1985-10-03 QUOTES $2,000 (Daily Double): Completes the quote "Go west, young man"

I had never come across "and grow up with the country" and today felt the same way as I have no recollection of seeing more of the famous line.

It should have hit me how bad the quote was today and set off alarms.

Today is the 115th episode for the halfway point of the season.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Interestingly, the author, the title, and the 7-word quote have all been correct responses at one time or another.

"A Wrinkle in Time" also begins, "It was a dark and stormy night", as does Snoopy's famous novel. Per the Archive, J! has not asked about either of them (in connection with the quote, that is).
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Brag box this week, finally! Was denied on Friday last week. Took me a good 15-20 seconds to come up with it.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

I have to credit Snoopy for this get, as I had to credit Ellery Queen for the "A fine and private place" one. Indirect knowledge is better than none.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

All I could come up with for Final within 30 seconds was "I dreamt I went to Manderley again" (that southern English weather, amirite?) and was glad that it was at least the right number of words until I looked it up and the first two words are actually "Last night".
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Easy one to end the week. Instaget.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Considering what the J! round was like, I'm amazed the game ended as it did.

====

I just read about Hugh Downs on a friend's Facebook and still couldn't match him to Baba Wawa. I'm so used to matching him to Concentration that I forget he had other roles.

Ran Animal Verbs and Heinz Site.

Is Historic Names for $200 the shortest Clue Crew clue? I'm surprised she didn't append three paragraphs onto that somehow.

Was The Body Human upside-down? I thought identifying only one of hammer/anvil/stirrup was by far easier than knowing exactly where the gallblader is relative to other organs.

Somehow I matched those brothers to Supernatural. Otherwise I'd have been 0/5 in TV Villains.

Got the Steuben DD somehow as well. The only "ville"s I know of in Ohio are Steubenville and Zanesville, and somehow the latter never came to mind so I was able to guess correctly.

Thanks to all the jokes about "it was a dark and stormy night" in Peanuts. That's 7 words, that checks out, instaget.

Lach Trash: skunk, shilling, sponge, hawk, Supernatural, trebuchet, silver
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

If you had asked me to bet on whether Terry, who spent most of the first round in the red, seemed nervous and hesitant all game, and pissed me off by placing Crown Heights in Queens, would go TDD in that spot, I would've bet the house on "no way in hell" and lost my shirt. Holy crap.

Instaget FJ to close out a 5/5 week.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $34,200 (42R, 0W)
DD 3/3
FJ :mrgreen:

Solid game, I clammed on things I didn't know and was able to pull the things I did.

Twilight Zone moment: this morning, I made a flashcard for "animal/vegetable/mineral = 20 questions".... AND I listened to a history of England and learned the etymology of Normandy.

Gutsy (and smart/situationally aware) DD wager by Terry to put the game away. Fun to watch!
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Played from the archive, and judging by the responses, the J round was indeed as ugly as it seemed. :o
DJ went somewhat better, but still over 10K trash easily taken. :shock:
Just had to count out the words for FJ. :mrgreen:
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

No words!

ETA: Brooke nodded on the Westminster DD, so she might have won the game had she found that important DD3
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

morbeedo wrote: ETA: Brooke nodded on the Westminster DD, so she might have won the game had she found that important DD3
Perhaps so, being that she had the sole get. After seeing how she wagered on FJ (and on yesterday's FJ), I'm not confident she would have made an optimal wager, had she been within 2/3 of Terry's score.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Category 13 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:08 pm
morbeedo wrote: ETA: Brooke nodded on the Westminster DD, so she might have won the game had she found that important DD3
Perhaps so, being that she had the sole get. After seeing how she wagered on FJ (and on yesterday's FJ), I'm not confident she would have made an optimal wager, had she been within 2/3 of Terry's score.
We’ll never know!!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Terry must have set a record for wrong answers while ending up with a lock.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

mas3cf wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:01 pm Brag box this week, finally! Was denied on Friday last week. Took me a good 15-20 seconds to come up with it.
Yay for us! I also went 4-for-4 last week before going face first down on Friday. Then tonight's instaget gave me 5-fo5-5 this week.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

alietr wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:15 pm Terry must have set a record for wrong answers while ending up with a lock.
Yeah. Instead of asking for an Aleve at the end I thought he might go for a Xanax. Hope his nerves settle down before he has to/gets to defend on Monday.
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

By far my favorite game of this week, and a great game to have on Valentine's Day. I actually got around half the clues this time, and it was great seeing Terry come from behind to pull it off!