RIP HQ Trivia

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

RIP HQ Trivia

Post by teapot37 »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/14/media/hq ... index.html
CEO Rus Yusupov said in a company-wide email on Friday that "lead investors are no longer willing to fund the company, and so effective today, HQ will cease operations and move to dissolution."
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
TenPoundHammer

Re: RIP HQ Trivia

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Good. What a bot-ridden, glitchy sham that whole mess was.

Also, how does a Wheel of Fortune champion constantly do so God-awful at HQ Words? I stopped trying because either a.) I'd have a brainfart and bomb on the first word, or b.) I'd be unfairly outed by a total glitch.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I’m regretting not immediately cashing out my $4.50ish winnings that got unlocked last night - but as soon as I saw the post from Anna, I cashed. Wonder how long it will take - if it ever comes.

I also have 10 extra lives and 1000 coins stockpiled. Never spent a dime on it, but the face value would be a ridiculous $40. Who the hell would pay for lives?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:05 pm Good. What a bot-ridden, glitchy sham that whole mess was.

Also, how does a Wheel of Fortune champion constantly do so God-awful at HQ Words? I stopped trying because either a.) I'd have a brainfart and bomb on the first word, or b.) I'd be unfairly outed by a total glitch.
I guess it balances out Chad Mosher.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

They had an After Dark game for $5 to say goodbye. 523 won. I was one of them and got a cent. I did see $0.00 under someone's user image in the winners screen.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I didn’t know it was still around. I guess I will never get that $4 I won that time.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

So, is the whole trivia-for-cash-app basically done? Fleetwit still sends me stuff, but hasn't even tried to make an Android app. Anyone playing another game that is fun and/or profitable?
Bigdogstalfos
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Bigdogstalfos »

I quit playing after I got randomly barred from getting my money out about a year and a half ago. I tried to get it out way later, but my account was still “under review.” Ave atque vale, that $60 I will never get.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

boson wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:30 am So, is the whole trivia-for-cash-app basically done? Fleetwit still sends me stuff, but hasn't even tried to make an Android app. Anyone playing another game that is fun and/or profitable?
Words with Friends had a cash-for-trivia weekly episode for a couple of months last winter. I won a few dollars here and there plus one $306 payout when 32 people split a $10K jackpot. It went "on hiatus" just about a year ago and hasn't been back. Don't know if it's going to reappear.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Interesting tweet from former host (well, they're all former now) Scott Rogowsky (hat tip to Josiah Takang for retweeting it into my feed): "HQ didn’t die of natural causes. It was poisoned with a lethal cocktail of incompetence, arrogance, short-sightedness & sociopathic delusion. Saddened to see it finally succumb; sadder still for the good & talented staff abruptly left in the lurch after being gaslit and lied to."
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:08 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:05 pm Good. What a bot-ridden, glitchy sham that whole mess was.

I guess it balances out Chad Mosher.
Yes, but unlike him, I solved my bonus puzzle.
jlgarfield

Post by jlgarfield »

It's sad. They were going to be the future of game shows, but all that mismanagement and whatnot did them in. They really had potential. X(
BobF

Post by BobF »

One of the first things I did Saturday morning was to collect the nearly $34 from my account. Now dealing with Paypal hell because I hadn't logged in for a few years and since then I've been divorced and changed address, phone number and banks.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

BobF wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:33 pm One of the first things I did Saturday morning was to collect the nearly $34 from my account. Now dealing with Paypal hell because I hadn't logged in for a few years and since then I've been divorced and changed address, phone number and banks.
For what it's worth, I cashed out $19.31 from my account Friday evening (I should have tried in the morning, after the app notified me it was available for cashout and before the app notified me it was no more), and it's still not in my PayPal, and I suspect it won't ever be.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:06 pm
BobF wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:33 pm One of the first things I did Saturday morning was to collect the nearly $34 from my account. Now dealing with Paypal hell because I hadn't logged in for a few years and since then I've been divorced and changed address, phone number and banks.
For what it's worth, I cashed out $19.31 from my account Friday evening (I should have tried in the morning, after the app notified me it was available for cashout and before the app notified me it was no more), and it's still not in my PayPal, and I suspect it won't ever be.
Yeah I cashed out $10 something early Friday afternoon before the news broke, and the HQ app processed the cashout but it has never hit my paypal. I heard of one person who got paid earlier Friday but have heard of no one getting money after the big news.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Did they have any really big wins the last few days? I hope nobody got screwed out of a lot of money.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:06 pm Did they have any really big wins the last few days? I hope nobody got screwed out of a lot of money.
I think they had 8 people split $1K on their last regular game.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:06 pm Did they have any really big wins the last few days? I hope nobody got screwed out of a lot of money.
I won $4.65 during the last week of shows - which is fairly "big", considering many shows has prizes in the 20-cent range, but not like those people who (might have) lost $1000. Glad I started being far more liberal with my extra lives, because I'd always been a bit worried about HQ's health, especially with the lack of sponsors. But I did wind up leaving 10 on the table.

I got a notification that my $4.65 prize "cleared" and was available for withdrawal about 2-3 hours before the news about HQ closing hit. I didn't pounce on the notification, but once I heard that HQ was down, I did withdraw, and my balance does show $0 now - I usually withdrew after any winning, since there's no point in leaving cash there, and I trust PayPal way more than HQ. But, of course, PayPal shows nothing recent from Intermedia Labs - and usually payment came within 3-4 hours after requesting a withdrawl.

There was one time - perhaps December - when it took quite awhile for the money to "clear". Supposedly it was for fraud protection, but I wonder if it had to do with their bank accounts running low.
LanceJ
Contributor

Post by LanceJ »

Yeah, I won $1667 (my first Big Win in years) on Jan 23, did the paperwork immediately and requested a cashout, never received it. Easy come, easy go...
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

LanceJ wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:34 am
Yeah, I won $1667 (my first Big Win in years) on Jan 23, did the paperwork immediately and requested a cashout, never received it. Easy come, easy go...
That sucks they did that. Especially since several on here have mentioned getting paid a paltry sum more recently than that.

I never understood their business model. How did they pay for those prizes?