Monday, February 17, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

earendel
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, February 17, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by earendel »

talkingaway wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:48 pm I'll confess - I hadn't really looked closely at the category for FJ! - SCREEN TO STAGE. The reverse seems far more common. Oh, and as a coda, Waitress actually closed on Broadway recently - although I'm pretty sure it's still touring, and I think I remember reading something about Barellies subbing in the West End within the past few months. Or maybe that was for the Broadway ending?

Two possible answers for the category SCREEN TO STAGE TO SCREEN - Hairspray and Mean Girls. Both stated out as standard high-school non-musical comedies, turned into a Broadway musical, and then returned to the screen as a musical (well, hasn't happened to Mean Girls yet, but it's in pre-production).
Mean Girls was my guess for FJ!
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
ilcap
Valued Contributor

Post by ilcap »

I've heard of Waitress but know nothing about it. Instead all that came to mind was Mean Girls, though the year seemed off.

Bummed that we didn't get to see many Hawaiian crossword clues.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Depending on how the week goes the poll may a choice about not having heard of Waitress or it could be not being familiar with one or more correct FJ! round responses as I have done sometimes.

The local advertising blitz for Waitress was nothing compared to what happens when these performers are coming to the Bay Area:

#7820, aired 2018-09-14 LIVE ENTERTAINMENT $2000: Founded in the U.S., this performing arts co. invites you to experience the "divine culture" of China, 5,000 years in the making

Shen Yun inundates TV ad space (ad nauseum), as well as mailers, door hangers, newspapers, radio... They put politicians to shame for their spending budget.

For Hasselbeck I "typoed" Hasselback when I archived the game and corrected it after seeing a correction suggestion. The CC had -beck for both player & host. To me both sounded like -back and a score change would not have surprised me. At home I went show off with Filarski.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

For the Hasselbeck response I wonder (and tend to think he would) if Alex would have accepted just Elisabeth? Most contestants on the show go by first name only although there are plenty of males that Probst calls by last name such as (Jonathan) Penner. No one should ever call Parvati by her last name though. She is by no means "Shallow".
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:29 pm

I saw literally no way to figure out Ethiopia on Jackals for $600. Someone explain that clue?
Abyssinia: Pavlov for Ethiopia.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Shen Yun's media blitz also occurred in Kansas City.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:04 am Depending on how the week goes the poll may a choice about not having heard of Waitress or it could be not being familiar with one or more correct FJ! round responses as I have done sometimes.

The local advertising blitz for Waitress was nothing compared to what happens when these performers are coming to the Bay Area:

#7820, aired 2018-09-14 LIVE ENTERTAINMENT $2000: Founded in the U.S., this performing arts co. invites you to experience the "divine culture" of China, 5,000 years in the making

Shen Yun inundates TV ad space (ad nauseum), as well as mailers, door hangers, newspapers, radio... They put politicians to shame for their spending budget.

For Hasselbeck I "typoed" Hasselback when I archived the game and corrected it after seeing a correction suggestion. The CC had -beck for both player & host. To me both sounded like -back and a score change would not have surprised me. At home I went show off with Filarski.
I'd still prefer a Shen Yun commercial over political ads.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
bengland
Jeopardy! Toker

Post by bengland »

reddpen wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:04 am
Recently? Put the bong down, Bruce
From my cold, dead fingers...
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:24 am For the Hasselbeck response I wonder (and tend to think he would) if Alex would have accepted just Elisabeth? Most contestants on the show go by first name only although there are plenty of males that Probst calls by last name such as (Jonathan) Penner.
I think that would get a BMS. In 40 seasons, with 16-20ish contestants per season (minus returning contestants), they had to have had another Elisabeth on Survivor, no? Not really invested enough to research it. Besides, the other part of the clue was about her filling the young blonde conservative seat on The View. She definitely went by Elisabeth Hasselbeck professionally while she was there - I imagine if a newspaper column referred to her during (or after) her tenure on The View, it would have both names - she's not Cher (mononymous to the point where the last name is vestigial), or even Whoopi/Oprah (commonly referred to unambiguously by a mononym because her first name is cool and rare, even if the last name is commonly known).

That said, most reality show contestants are usually first name only while they're on the show. Part may be privacy (but c'mon, the last names are easily found), and part may be to draw the viewer in and set a more informal tone. Plus, they refer to each other by first name, so it's less confusing.
ilcap wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:46 am Bummed that we didn't get to see many Hawaiian crossword clues.
Me too. On a semi-related note, one of my favorite high-value questions ever on WWTBAM was "Other than Hawaii itself, how many states can you spell using only the X letters of the Hawaiian alphabet?". (They gave the value of X. I think it was either 12 or 14?)

I love it because it looks hard, but the part that's hard isn't necessarily the part you'd think is hard. You can easily reconstruct the entire Hawaiian alphabet with some basic geography and expressions - Hawaii, Oahu, Maui, Honolulu, mele kalikimaka, aloha, and poke (a Hawaiian fish dish) I think have all the letters. The harder part is coming up with the states and ensuring that you haven't missed any. The Animaniacs song would be helpful for that, but it would be a tough call.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

talkingaway wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:52 am I think that would get a BMS. In 40 seasons, with 16-20ish contestants per season (minus returning contestants), they had to have had another Elisabeth on Survivor, no?
I don't watch the show, but I know Olympian swimmer Elizabeth Beisel was on within the last couple seasons.
Golf

Post by Golf »

talkingaway wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:52 am Me too. On a semi-related note, one of my favorite high-value questions ever on WWTBAM was "Other than Hawaii itself, how many states can you spell using only the X letters of the Hawaiian alphabet?". (They gave the value of X. I think it was either 12 or 14?)

I love it because it looks hard, but the part that's hard isn't necessarily the part you'd think is hard. You can easily reconstruct the entire Hawaiian alphabet with some basic geography and expressions - Hawaii, Oahu, Maui, Honolulu, mele kalikimaka, aloha, and poke (a Hawaiian fish dish) I think have all the letters. The harder part is coming up with the states and ensuring that you haven't missed any. The Animaniacs song would be helpful for that, but it would be a tough call.
Waimea, Honolulu, and poke is enough to give you all the letters just thinking quickly.

Yes, it's a fun question, but the problem is, it's not a trivia question. It's a puzzle question. And WWTBAM was supposed to be a trivia show. Why they decided to start going this route who knows, but it wasn't the thing to do.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Anyone else join me and the contestants on whiffing with Oahu and still failing to pull Maui on the rebound? No idea where my brain went on that one.

I think that's what causes a non-trivial amount of TSes: all three Pavlov to the same wrong answer, and the other two can't shift gears after it's negged. I know I have that "Bwuh? That's wrong? But there's literally nothing else it could BE!" moment way too many times to count.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Golf wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:35 pm Yes, it's a fun question, but the problem is, it's not a trivia question. It's a puzzle question. And WWTBAM was supposed to be a trivia show. Why they decided to start going this route who knows, but it wasn't the thing to do.
Probably around the same time they started with all the "which of these celebrities used to work at Arby's?" questions.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:18 pm Anyone else join me and the contestants on whiffing with Oahu and still failing to pull Maui on the rebound? No idea where my brain went on that one.

I think that's what causes a non-trivial amount of TSes: all three Pavlov to the same wrong answer, and the other two can't shift gears after it's negged. I know I have that "Bwuh? That's wrong? But there's literally nothing else it could BE!" moment way too many times to count.
I agree both in general and in the application to this clue. Mrs Penguin lived in Hawaii as a child--on Oahu, which is what she guessed. But she'd been to Maui with the Campfire Girls, so that wasn't much of a reach. Still, when Oahu got negged, she couldn't recover and think of anything else.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:34 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:18 pm Anyone else join me and the contestants on whiffing with Oahu and still failing to pull Maui on the rebound? No idea where my brain went on that one.

I agree both in general and in the application to this clue. Mrs Penguin lived in Hawaii as a child--on Oahu, which is what she guessed. But she'd been to Maui with the Campfire Girls, so that wasn't much of a reach. Still, when Oahu got negged, she couldn't recover and think of anything else.
Only half applied here. After kneejerking Oahu, Maui was a quick rebound.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Volante wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:52 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:34 pm I agree both in general and in the application to this clue. Mrs Penguin lived in Hawaii as a child--on Oahu, which is what she guessed. But she'd been to Maui with the Campfire Girls, so that wasn't much of a reach. Still, when Oahu got negged, she couldn't recover and think of anything else.
It was a forehead-slap chez Penguin, that's for sure. Seems easy enough in retrospect. Mark, I'm thinking this would be a good poll question. I'm curious to know how many of us failed to get to the right response even after the contestants were generous enough to offer THREE rebound opportunities. (Granted, Kona and Kauai* weren't quality negs that eliminated real possibilities. They still bought us time.)

---------------
* Archive has "Kawaii" instead of "Kauai", which is adorable in a Hello Kitty sort of way. And I can't prove Terry wasn't thinking of Japanese cuteness when he uttered that disyllable. But Kauai seems, on the whole, more likely since it's a Hawaiian island. ❀◕ ‿ ◕❀
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:34 pm I agree both in general and in the application to this clue. Mrs Penguin lived in Hawaii as a child--on Oahu, which is what she guessed. But she'd been to Maui with the Campfire Girls, so that wasn't much of a reach. Still, when Oahu got negged, she couldn't recover and think of anything else.
Good to know I'm far from alone on this one.
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:14 pm * Archive has "Kawaii" instead of "Kauai", which is adorable in a Hello Kitty sort of way. And I can't prove Terry wasn't thinking of Japanese cuteness when he uttered that disyllable. But Kauai seems, on the whole, more likely since it's a Hawaiian island. ❀◕ ‿ ◕❀
^_^;;;
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

53 R (Elizabeth Hasselback was my only miss.)
DD: 2/2
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Inciter, Backbiter, Amadeo Modigliani, Andrew Wyeth, Voting Rights Act, Borscht Belt, Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, Maui, Census, Smiley Face
Douglas Squasoni
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:15 pm 53 R (Elizabeth Hasselback was my only miss.)
Missed it again.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:14 pm
Volante wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:52 pm
It was a forehead-slap chez Penguin, that's for sure. Seems easy enough in retrospect. Mark, I'm thinking this would be a good poll question. I'm curious to know how many of us failed to get to the right response even after the contestants were generous enough to offer THREE rebound opportunities. (Granted, Kona and Kauai* weren't quality negs that eliminated real possibilities. They still bought us time.)

---------------
* Archive has "Kawaii" instead of "Kauai", which is adorable in a Hello Kitty sort of way. And I can't prove Terry wasn't thinking of Japanese cuteness when he uttered that disyllable. But Kauai seems, on the whole, more likely since it's a Hawaiian island. ❀◕ ‿ ◕❀
I have changed it to Kauai to give Terry the benefit of the doubt. Thanks.