Monday, February 17, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Monday, February 17, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

For FJ my best guess was Billy Elliot. Put me down in the unusual camp as someone familiar with the movie but not the musical. I haven't actually seen the movie, but I did check it out from the library once and I can name the two stars. The fact there was a musical didn't seem totally unfamiliar when the correct response was revealed, but it wasn't exactly something I knew either.
bengland
Jeopardy! Toker

Post by bengland »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:05 am 420 is not on the banned wager list so Terry was able to make that his FJ! round wager. Does the 4337 by Tom have any meaning?
I always like to take these opportunities to point out that 4/20 is my very appropriate birthday. Yay Terry!

Don't know about 4337, but a college tourney player years ago wagered 1337 and that was when I learned about leetspeak. I think somebody recently also wagered 1337, so I imagine 4337 is something related?
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

I was surprised FJ wasn't To Kill a Mockingbird, more of a sensational hit than the actual choice. (If 60 Minutes does a piece on it, I think of it as fair game - note they did the West Side Story revival last night...) I guess Waitress fits the category better as an original film. Still, this was quite an easy one, I'm never sorry when J! rewards knowledge of contemporary (or any kind of) theater.... :)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

5A for the NYT mini for 2/18:
Bareilles who wrote the music and lyrics for Broadway's "Waitress"
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

bengland wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:30 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:05 am 420 is not on the banned wager list so Terry was able to make that his FJ! round wager. Does the 4337 by Tom have any meaning?
I always like to take these opportunities to point out that 4/20 is my very appropriate birthday. Yay Terry!

Don't know about 4337, but a college tourney player years ago wagered 1337 and that was when I learned about leetspeak. I think somebody recently also wagered 1337, so I imagine 4337 is something related?
1337, also l33t, means 'elite' in, well, l33t speak. I'm guessing 4337 was just doing the highest '-337' possible.
brick wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:48 pm When Alex misspoke about how long Survivor has been on the air I was... puzzled. I was glad he clarified.
These are the jokes, son! Gotta keep your head up or they'll fly right over!

Dreamgirls. 2006 movie, so not -that- far off... Never would've gotten Waitress unless you spotted me "Waitres"...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I couldn't be sure Waitress had been a movie, but it's all I'm able to name if you ask me for a musical involving Sara Bareilles.
talkingaway wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:41 pm I had no idea Roentgen was pronounced "rentgen". I had it as "row-ent-gen".
"Roentgen" is more or less an alternative spelling for when the umlaut is unavailable, impractical, or otherwise hard to use; his name is frequently rendered Röntgen, with ö being one syllable (and not a diphthong). But you wouldn't get dinged for your pronunciation.
Volante wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:38 pm Dreamgirls. 2006 movie, so not -that- far off... Never would've gotten Waitress unless you spotted me "Waitres"...
Dreamgirls is pretty far off in the FROM SCREEN TO STAGE category, having been on Broadway in 1981.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Volante wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:38 pm 1337, also l33t, means 'elite' in, well, l33t speak. I'm guessing 4337 was just doing the highest '-337' possible.
Yes, but in Tom's case, his motorsports team runs a car numbered 337.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

Great job Mackenzie, that DD move was awesome! I'll definitely be rooting for her tomorrow.

Sad to see Terry go already, but I'm happy he lost to another gutsy DD wagerer. Great game all around! I hope this awesome wagering keeps up.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

The original film Waitress (which was not a musical) was written by, directed by, and co-starred an amazing woman named Adrienne Shelly. I think she would have had an amazing career and be much more well known, but she was tragically murdered before Waitress came out.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

If there's a poll question for having never heard of Waitress I'll be checking it.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I'll confess - I hadn't really looked closely at the category for FJ! - SCREEN TO STAGE. The reverse seems far more common. Oh, and as a coda, Waitress actually closed on Broadway recently - although I'm pretty sure it's still touring, and I think I remember reading something about Barellies subbing in the West End within the past few months. Or maybe that was for the Broadway ending?

Two possible answers for the category SCREEN TO STAGE TO SCREEN - Hairspray and Mean Girls. Both stated out as standard high-school non-musical comedies, turned into a Broadway musical, and then returned to the screen as a musical (well, hasn't happened to Mean Girls yet, but it's in pre-production).
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

talkingaway wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:48 pm Two possible answers for the category SCREEN TO STAGE TO SCREEN - Hairspray and Mean Girls. Both stated out as standard high-school non-musical comedies, turned into a Broadway musical, and then returned to the screen as a musical (well, hasn't happened to Mean Girls yet, but it's in pre-production).
Also The Producers...minus the high-school part.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Recently? Put the bong down, Bruce: Terry wagered 1337 on yesterday's FJ.

I'd have sworn MacKenzie pronounced the Survivor/View host as Hasselback (as did Alex) and was half-expecting a $1600 rollback post-break, but maybe the -back/-beck distinction is too trivial. Her brother-in-law was the Seahawks QB for years.

Re FJ, unlike most here it seems, I've seen (most of) the 2007 movie with Keri Russell--it's really quite sweet in the end, and she's just adorable, plus all that pie--but didn't know it'd reached the stage. My precalls were all animated: Lion King, Frozen, Little Mermaid. Fully agree with teapot37 that Ms. Shelly's story is a heartbreaker.
Last edited by reddpen on Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In and out of the pool four times
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

reddpen wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:04 am

Yesterday? Perhaps you should also take a break from smoking for a bit: Friday was three days ago.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:20 am
reddpen wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:04 am

Yesterday? Perhaps you should also take a break from smoking for a bit: Friday was three days ago.
[suppressed cough] Touché.
In and out of the pool four times
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 31,200
46 R/3 W
DD: 2/2
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: inciter, backbiter, Amedeo Modigliani, Borscht Belt, Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, Maui, Census Act, smiley face

I could get used to these big DD wagers.

Broadway + Bareilles = Waitress, but I don't see any way to get this FJ! if you don't already know that.

As a current resident of the Aloha State, I was sad to see Hawaiian Crossword Clues go almost entirely unplayed.
sarisson wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:44 pm Interesting interview with the new champ:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10A_cWOde_Y
A lot of it was basic stuff about the show we already know, but she was clearly influenced by a great recent champion. Also a sighting of a different contestant (a JZL) about 4 minutes in. Are they related?
Good eye. John is MacKenzie's brother. I think they're the first known siblings to play in the same season. Anyone know of any others?
reddpen wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:04 am I'd have sworn MacKenzie pronounced the Survivor/View host as Hasselback (as did Alex) and was expecting a half-expecting a $1600 rollback post-break, but maybe the -back/-beck distinction is too trivial. Her brother-in-law was the Seahawks QB for years.
Same here. I heard it from both MacKenzie and Alex.
Sprinkles are for winners.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:35 am
sarisson wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:44 pm Interesting interview with the new champ:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10A_cWOde_Y
A lot of it was basic stuff about the show we already know, but she was clearly influenced by a great recent champion. Also a sighting of a different contestant (a JZL) about 4 minutes in. Are they related?
Good eye. John is MacKenzie's brother. I think they're the first known siblings to play in the same season. Anyone know of any others?
Not only did Arianna Kelly play in the same season as her sister Larissa, she played twice, before and after Larissa's run.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:43 pm If there's a poll question for having never heard of Waitress I'll be checking it.
Ditto, in either incarnation.

Also, not sure if they made a correction, but her last name is HasselbEck, not HasselbAck.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:35 am
Tom and Jim McGinnis played within a few months of each other in 2018 (S34).

Instaget FJ. Congrats MacKenzie, great playing! Definitely thought she was going to say 1300, not 13000 LOL.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:43 pm If there's a poll question for having never heard of Waitress I'll be checking it.
Same here. Poll request, Mark?