Monday, February 17, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Monday, February 17, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:34 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:18 pm Anyone else join me and the contestants on whiffing with Oahu and still failing to pull Maui on the rebound? No idea where my brain went on that one.

I think that's what causes a non-trivial amount of TSes: all three Pavlov to the same wrong answer, and the other two can't shift gears after it's negged. I know I have that "Bwuh? That's wrong? But there's literally nothing else it could BE!" moment way too many times to count.
I agree both in general and in the application to this clue. Mrs Penguin lived in Hawaii as a child--on Oahu, which is what she guessed. But she'd been to Maui with the Campfire Girls, so that wasn't much of a reach. Still, when Oahu got negged, she couldn't recover and think of anything else.
The question even spotted you that the response had 4 letters, so Oahu may have been negbait, but Maui was the only possible rebound even if you didn't know that it is called the Valley Isle (two volcanoes on opposite ends of the island).
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Just saw an ad on TV for Waitress. It is playing in Birmingham later this month.
cheezguyty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by cheezguyty »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:06 pm
Fleeboy wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:04 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:05 am The SURVIVOR category was finished last in the J! round and needing to complete that ate up time for DJ! when 6 clues worth $8800 including DD3 were not played.
What's the record for the highest combined dollar value of uncovered clues in a non-celebrity game? This has to be close.
This game had $11,200 unseen. http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5195
This game from Season 3 had $7,600 worth of uncovered clues (responses such as "How can you tell if there's been an elephant in your refrigerator" and "1 of (Ezzard Charles, Jersey Joe Walcott, Rocky Marciano, Floyd Patterson & Ingemar Johannson)" probably had something to do with that).