Tuesday, February 18, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, February 18, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, February 18, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AFRICAN GEOGRAPHY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This West African country of 12 million doesn’t border the 1,200-mile-wide gulf of the same name

MacKenzie Jones: 12400-0=12400 (2x = $38,800)
Rex Wessel: 4000-1401=2599
Caitlin Drinkard: 5400-2601=2799

Correct response:
Spoiler
Guinea (MacKenzie – Gambia) (Rex – Chad) (Caitlin – Senegal)

Daily Doubles
Rex: 2600-2600
MacKenzie: 6400-3000
MacKenzie: 9400+3000

Coryats
MacKenzie: 13600
Rex: 6600
Caitlin: 5400

Combined: 25,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
MacKenzie: 4000
Rex: 2000
Caitlin: 3400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

"Only" three clues not played today though still worth $5600. At least all the DDs were uncovered.

A sample of Caitlin's singing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muzQbHjbrOo

Sometimes when watching the early airing I forget I'm watching an Alabama station. During breaks there can be reminders that it's not California: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhTh3czrMIE

MacKenzie was a push on the DDs with 3000 to the bad and 3000 to the good. Rex and Caitlin never got rolling to set MacKenzie up for another lock.

The FJ! clue had me guess correctly because the gulf rang a faint bell. My pen was down although I used the think time to assure myself that I would be wrong to add -Bissau. After the game I saw that there could have been another bad path with Equitorial Guinea if I had thought of that place.

My running through as many West Africa countries as I could recall was not good as I found out afterwards how many I did not dig up. Luck today could just as easily be a fail another day. The players showed how wide open the responses could be with their range of misses.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MacKenzie put the brakes on the carousel, being the first to win from the champ's spot since Travis "family row" Gaylord won his third on Feb. 5th.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran Religious Idioms, 0/5 in 20th Century and Speaking Volumes.

Couldn't get going on Contronyms. Didn't know "repossess" had another meaning.

NHO "A Million Little Things". I can understand the stand-and-stare there.

No guess on FJ! There's a country that's just called Guinea?!?
Golf

Post by Golf »

The way the 1st southern hemisphere Olympics clue was worded, Australia would have to be accepted as correct.

Rex didn't act like he even tried to think about the answer to his DD.

If MacKenzie "hadn't been to church in a while", why would she wager anything other than $5? And then for good measure went right back to the last clue in that category where the other DD couldn't possibly be.

Stenography a triple clam? Are they too young? (I despise that question) A girlfriend in high school was one of 4 students that took a steno class.

OK, they are too young if they don't know Jane Curtin.

Can we get a poll this week for the DD3 clue? :D

Gulf of Guinea is one of those basic African Geography nuggets that is a great indicator if you've tried to study the topic even a little bit. Many have not.

Anybody else think there were some pretty bad negs today? But of course that can happen to anybody.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Golf wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:35 pm The way the 1st southern hemisphere Olympics clue was worded, Australia would have to be accepted as correct.

Rex didn't act like he even tried to think about the answer to his DD.

If MacKenzie "hadn't been to church in a while", why would she wager anything other than $5? And then for good measure went right back to the last clue in that category where the other DD couldn't possibly be.

Stenography a triple clam? Are they too young? (I despise that question) A girlfriend in high school was one of 4 students that took a steno class.

OK, they are too young if they don't know Jane Curtin.

Can we get a poll this week for the DD3 clue? :D

Gulf of Guinea is one of those basic African Geography nuggets that is a great indicator if you've tried to study the topic even a little bit. Many have not.

Anybody else think there were some pretty bad negs today? But of course that can happen to anybody.
The United Nations for League of Nations was probably the worst. Sydney for Melbourne is typical this century and I see what you mean about it not pinned to a city.

That's funny on the poll "request" for DD3. Good one.
goongas

Post by goongas »

I would not much at all on word play categories for DD because you have to be thinking along the same lines as the writers, it isn't as cut and dry as knowing a fact necessarily. I don't think repossess is used much to indicate getting your car back from a reposession. African Geography is a FJ category that I would default wager 0, regardless of the scores.
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

Coryat: $39,000 (49R, 0W)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT ($6,200): Eddie Van Halen, Rio de Janeiro, Tudor (DD), bolt, stenography, Jane Curtin

Educated guess time for FJ today, and it paid off — Guinea seemed the most logical guess given there are so many countries with Guinea also in their names. I confess that I haven’t paid much attention to the waters around Africa :D

Nice bet by MacKenzie on DD3 with time running out.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I don’t live in the Montgomery area so that is the first time I have seen that ad, though I have heard about it. For more laughs, here is a guy running for the Senate.

https://youtu.be/l2lu4muV_G8

No chance on FJ as I guessed Algeria just to have something. Although I have heard of the Gulf of Guinea.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Guessed Benin for FJ because "Gulf of Benin" sounded like something I might've heard of. Turns out there's a Bight of Benin which is a bend in the Gulf of Guinea. Naturally, the country of Benin is on the Bight of Benin so it doesn't fit the clue that way either. If I'd thought of Guinea I would have said it, though I can't guarantee I wouldn't have added a Bissau. I hope not since the clue referenced a gulf "of the same name". More likely to be a Gulf of Guinea than a Gulf of Guinea-Bissau. I definitely wouldn't have added an Equatorial since Equatorial Guinea isn't in West Africa. It is on the western coast of Africa, just not up in the West Africa bulge; so I wouldn't fault anyone for making that mistake.

After her confession that she hadn't been to church in a while coupled with the missed DD, I kind of hoped MacKenzie would lose. This wasn't a vindictive hope so much as whimsy. I idly fantasized that the miss would get her going to church again and turn out to be a... blessing in disguise.

Rex distracted me because I felt like I was watching lost footage of Norm Macdonald playing George Will for a Weekend Update sketch.

I'll be checking the poll box that says "I could have given the capital of Sri Lanka, but I would have spelled it Sri Jayawardenepura Kotte rather than Sri Jayewardenepura Kotte as the clue had it." Wikipedia has my spelling but Britannica has theirs with an option on Jayavardhanapura.

I got the clue correct but I must take exception to the description of Billy Joel as a "rock star". One of my favorite Chuck Klosterman articles discusses Billy Joel's lack of cool. If you want to jump through the New York Times hoops, it's worth reading:

https://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/15/maga ... anger.html

Or here's a relevant excerpt. (Keep in mind that Klosterman is a huge Billy Joel fan.)
Chuck Klosterman wrote:The reasons for that critical disdain are hard to pin down. There are no lyrics from ''The Stranger'' as ridiculously melodramatic as the worst lines from ''Born to Run'' (''Just wrap your legs round these velvet rims/And strap your hands across my engines''), nor was Joel's public posture any less organic or more calculated than that of the Sex Pistols. But guys like Bruce Springsteen and Johnny Rotten have a default credibility that Joel will never be granted, and it's not just because he took piano lessons. The problem is that Joel never seemed cool, even among the people who like him. He's not cool in the conventional sense (like James Dean) or in the self-destructive sense (like Keith Richards), nor is he cool in the kitschy, campy, ''he's so uncool he's cool'' way (like Neil Diamond). He has no intrinsic coolness, and he has no extrinsic coolness. If cool were a color, it would be black -- and Joel would be kind of a burnt orange. The bottom line is that it's never cool to look like you're trying . . . and Joel tries really, really hard.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:28 pm No guess on FJ! There's a country that's just called Guinea?!?
Guinea has several line extensions, but I say stick with the original.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Eddie Van Halen was a TS? :o
Disappointed that the contestants couldn't finish Chemistry or Russian names, I was set to run those. :geek:
On the political conventions clue, the writers should be careful what they wish for... :twisted:
Instaget FJ. :mrgreen:
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Surprised that MacKenzie ripped through the first few Religious Idioms but couldn't get the DD. It seemed just as easy.

Then there was the TS on Valerie B's husband and Jane Curtin.

I was wondering if Caitlin might be related to Bobby Jon from Survivor S10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X4Kx2jtfk8
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I don’t think not going to church made the category much harder. The only one that really was made easier by having Biblical knowledge was the one about Job.

I haven’t to church in a while, although I used to go regularly. I went 4/5 in the category, missing only the DD. I couldn’t piece it together and guessed divine intervention.
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

Not a huge fan of that $1600 clue in Russian Names. It was Kasparov vs. Anand in the 1995 World Chess Championship and Karpov vs. Anand in the next Championship in 1998.

Kasparov is the much more famous of the two but it seemed pretty specific to be able to differentiate between them based on the year.
davey

Post by davey »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:25 pm I don’t think not going to church made the category much harder. The only one that really was made easier by having Biblical knowledge was the one about Job.

I haven’t to church in a while, although I used to go regularly. I went 4/5 in the category, missing only the DD. I couldn’t piece it together and guessed divine intervention.
Even the one about Job is a pretty standard idiom. My own response for the DD was "silver lining," which sounded good, though I recognize it's not religious in nature. But then, "blessing in disguise" doesn't seem particularly devout, either... :)
No chance on this FJ for me...
Charis
Contributor

Post by Charis »

I'm the resident Bible expert among my trivia friends and I missed the DD. I was trying to think of something more metaphorical.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Another lackluster game. When I saw the FJ category so cynically precalled a TS and, sadly, wax correct. Instaget FJ for me.