The Jeopardy! Anytime Test

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

The Jeopardy! Anytime Test

Post by dhkendall »

A test that you can take anytime while it’s up and, of interest to many of us, you can take it even if you took January’s. (Better score of the two counts)

https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/jeopardy ... ytime-test
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Re: The Jeopardy! Anytime Test

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Oh wow, I guess I'll take this later tonight since there's no penalty whatsoever, and I could, in fact, learn a thing or two of I don't beat my 46 in January. Time for an impromptu cram session.

Edit: now that I think about this concept some more, this should be quite innovative and come from a huge database because they have to give everybody different questions to prevent just copying someone else's earlier test. I'm curious to see the execution more than anything now.
Last edited by BrigadierSolo13 on Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

This has got to be bad news for any of us who have passed the test... More competition to get an audition.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

boson wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:16 pm This has got to be bad news for any of us who have passed the test... More competition to get an audition.
More competition means more games, more information to absorb, and standing out is that much more impressive. Bring it on, I say.
goongas
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by goongas »

The instructions say they want a current photo as well...
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

This sounds like fun, but where is my answer sheet going to come from? :LOL:

So the hypothesis is that there will be a custom test for each player? That is a potential gold mine of practice quizzes if we all record our private quiz. Is there any reason to do this? I feel like most tests have middle row clue value difficulty level. I'll be willing to attempt this if there is any traction on this idea. I'm not actually trying to get on the show, so I can also just let my session time out like sherder's videos do.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:37 pm This sounds like fun, but where is my answer sheet going to come from? :LOL:

So the hypothesis is that there will be a custom test for each player? That is a potential gold mine of practice quizzes if we all record our private quiz. Is there any reason to do this? I feel like most tests have middle row clue value difficulty level. I'll be willing to attempt this if there is any traction on this idea. I'm not actually trying to get on the show, so I can also just let my session time out like sherder's videos do.
I would recommend against this, and in fact any sharing of questions from the test, at least while testing is still live.
goongas

Post by goongas »

Other info from the FAQs site says this:
All categories and clues will be pulled from a large database of material. Users should expect a balanced assortment of Jeopardy! topics in the Anytime Test, but the clues will be delivered in random order.
Test takers need not select preferred audition cities if they take the Anytime Test. (Audition cities will be determined after the Anytime Test period.)
If you start the Anytime Test and close the test window in the middle of the test, it will not be considered a test submission and your answers will not be saved. However, if you’ve already completed the registration form, you will not need to re-register when you return to take the test. You may try to take and submit the test another time, but you only have a limited number of attempts. You may not be given the same set of questions when you return to take the test.
So in theory if you feel like you are doing badly, you can stop taking the test and hope for a better one...
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

So...this is what I think happens, but if I'm wrong, correct me - particularly if you've already taken the Anytime Test.

1) You can take it even if you've taken a scheduled test.
2) You can attempt it multiple times, quitting if you're "not feeling it", if you know you're bombing out, or if your cat is clawing at your leg.
3) There is a (thus far not officially revealed) maximum number of times you can take it.
4) You can only "submit" one J! Anytime test per "anytime test" period, and you can only submit one Anytime test per 365 days.

It's #4 that confuses me. What happens after clue 50? Do you get an option to submit/try again - basically gambling that your submission was your best effort? If you finish clue 50, does it automatically submit it for you, locking you out?
goongas

Post by goongas »

It's #4 that confuses me. What happens after clue 50? Do you get an option to submit/try again - basically gambling that your submission was your best effort? If you finish clue 50, does it automatically submit it for you, locking you out?
I imagine after clue 50 if you submit, that's it. They figure that they will eventually catch the cheaters with an in-person test, so if people really want to cheat, they are going to cheat like they did on the old test...I know one person on this board couldn't take the test because they worked at night, so it will be nice for people to take it when it is convenient for them. It just will make it harder to get picked for an audition.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

goongas wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:27 am
I imagine after clue 50 if you submit, that's it. They figure that they will eventually catch the cheaters with an in-person test, so if people really want to cheat, they are going to cheat like they did on the old test...I know one person on this board couldn't take the test because they worked at night, so it will be nice for people to take it when it is convenient for them. It just will make it harder to get picked for an audition.
Anyone who can't get 15 minutes free on any one of 3 nights, with roughly a month of notice, I am fine with that person not being able to take the jeopardy test. No reason to think they're going to be able to travel to an audition with a month's notice, or travel to LA to tape the show with a month's notice either.
Flealick
Contributor

Post by Flealick »

talkingaway wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:25 am It's #4 that confuses me. What happens after clue 50? Do you get an option to submit/try again - basically gambling that your submission was your best effort? If you finish clue 50, does it automatically submit it for you, locking you out?
I just took the test, and after the last question, it automatically submits, so if you want to bail, you have to bail before the timer runs out on Q50. I found it a bit hard, but comparable to other tests. I got about a 37 (unsure if they'll take two answers with iffy spelling, and there's no way to be 100% sure on Rhyme Time, but I liked my answer), lower than my January score, so I guess that score will still stand for me. As I was taking the test, I thought I was doing slightly better than I actually did, figured my score would be over 40.

Googling questions to see if I was right, several led back to the J Archives, questions from the show used word-for-word, I would imagine that most questions used in this were featured on the show at some point.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

jeff6286 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:25 am
goongas wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:27 am
Anyone who can't get 15 minutes free on any one of 3 nights, with roughly a month of notice, I am fine with that person not being able to take the jeopardy test. No reason to think they're going to be able to travel to an audition with a month's notice, or travel to LA to tape the show with a month's notice either.
Some people just don't have jobs or financial situations where they have the time to take off for a test.

There is a HUGE difference between taking time off to take a test for a random drawing to determine the next step, and in taking time off for an audition where you have some ability to decide your own fate; and an even bigger difference for taking time off when the show calls you to be on.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

jeff6286 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:25 am Anyone who can't get 15 minutes free on any one of 3 nights, with roughly a month of notice, I am fine with that person not being able to take the jeopardy test.
You may want to check your privilege here on this one, Jeff.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

I have to agree with Jeff. I usually work nights and yet somehow I find a way to take the test. Probably that month’s notice and all.

On one hand, clearly what the show is doing right now isn’t working. Recent episodes have really been mediocre.

On the other hand, I’m not really sure if this is going to fix that. This seems like it would be easier to cheat. Letting those folks on isn’t going to help with contestant quality, unless the new producer thinks the show needs more comedians.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

It's kind of funny too that TPTB decided to do this in a year when the regular online tests seemed like they played easier than usual.

I work 2 jobs and have missed out on taking the online test because of that at least once in the past, I think. I don't think that it is so bad to try to help people who might have a hard time taking the test on weeknights, but I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Austin Powers wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:17 am I have to agree with Jeff. I usually work nights and yet somehow I find a way to take the test. Probably that month’s notice and all.
You need to check your privilege as well here.

Every year around test time, you'll see the show be the target of social media complaints from people who, often because of their socioeconomic background, have to work multiple jobs whose scheduling prevents them from being able to take the test during the assigned time.

This decision is a no-brainer which will allow for a more diverse testing pool.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Golf

Post by Golf »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:46 am You need to check your privilege as well here.
Do people not have a right to express their opinion?

This testing period is a good thing only if executed correctly. The database used to draw the 50 questions from is finite and therefore can be abused by crowdsourcing. So it better be large enough to mostly mitigate this.

I also think this will lead to more auditioners failing the in person test.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:46 am
Austin Powers wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:17 am I have to agree with Jeff. I usually work nights and yet somehow I find a way to take the test. Probably that month’s notice and all.

Every year around test time, you'll see the show be the target of social media complaints from people who, often because of their socioeconomic background, have to work multiple jobs whose scheduling prevents them from being able to take the test during the assigned time.

I’ll pass on your suggestion.

There are other options, like holding the test during weekends, or during the day, that could have been implemented first.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:46 am

As I said, if you can't, with a month notice, manage to get 15 minutes free (that's a maximum, actually more like 8-10 minutes for many), how are you going to get a whole day off (or more, depending on location) to go to an audition? I can understand actually getting the call to the show is a big deal and easier to explain to a boss (or bosses), but the audition is no more of a guarantee than taking the test itself, so I don't see a lot of people who are in dire financial straits blowing off multiple jobs on short notice to drive off to Cleveland on a wing and a prayer.