Thursday, February 20, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Re: Thursday, February 20, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by DBear »

Foretopman wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:23 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:47 pm KNICKKNACK $1600: You don’t see these brass receptacles for tobacco chewers much anymore, at least not used for their original purpose

Any judges have a problem with my counting my "cuspidor" as an acceptable alternate response?
I have no problem with it. My dictionary defines cuspidor as simply "a spittoon".
Nope, that was my response in showoff mode :geek:
Count me as :o that New York minute was a TS.
Cedar is a Pavlov for Lebanon for FJ :mrgreen:
The Talking Mime
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by The Talking Mime »

I watched tonight's episode at work, but was distracted near the end with something so I missed watching the FJ round. Usually when I miss an episode, I'll read the FJ clue off the Archive or here on the board. My method is to read the clue out loud, then play a YouTube video of the think music while I think it over. I immediately scrapped any intention of playing the music tonight when I came across "cedar" while reading the clue. Thank you, J! Pavlovs.

Funny how your fate and/or legacy on this show can be determined with one clue. Amal misses the final Kerouac clue, which leads to MacKenzie getting the rebound. That $4k swing puts MacKenzie into the lead, which results in a victory, which results in extending her win streak to 4 games, which puts her into ToC consideration. Probably hundreds of scenarios like that.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

The Talking Mime wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:21 pmFunny how your fate and/or legacy on this show can be determined with one clue. Amal misses the final Kerouac clue, which leads to MacKenzie getting the rebound. That $4k swing puts MacKenzie into the lead, which results in a victory, which results in extending her win streak to 4 games, which puts her into ToC consideration. Probably hundreds of scenarios like that.
MacKenzie only needed $2k of that swing to take the lead. So unless she needed Amal's miss--either to eliminate an incorrect response or just to buy some time--MacKenzie would have jumped into first on that last clue even if Amal had clammed.
ACW

Post by ACW »

Okay, is it just me that has an issue with Lebanon spelled with an E?
davey

Post by davey »

ACW wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:28 pm Okay, is it just me that has an issue with Lebanon spelled with an E?
The spelling doesn't matter because the sound could be a schwa with an e or an a. I've certainly never heard it pronounced leb-AH-non, as you had it.
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

Golf wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:50 pm The night visitors will have something to say about Amal’s negs as well as her DJ and FJ wagers. :roll:
I see what you did there. ;)
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

ACW wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:28 pm Okay, is it just me that has an issue with Lebanon spelled with an E?
It's a schwa in English; you could replace it with any other vowel (including y!) and it would be accepted.
davey

Post by davey »

MitchO wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:30 pm Also, as much as I think MacKenzie has been kicking ass, I think it was less about her closing the gap and more about Amal guessing her way out of the lead. "Moriarity"? :shock: Ya never know how your brain fires off, huh.
Dean Moriarty is the other main character in On the Road, so if heavenly in the clue doesn't fire off anything, it's a reasonable guess...
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Golf wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:50 pm The night visitors will have something to say about Amal’s negs as well as her DJ and FJ wagers. :roll:
I see what you did there, but it’s Amahl for Menotti
Golf

Post by Golf »

Woof wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:07 pm
No kidding. But considering Jeopardy doesn’t penalize for spelling so long as it’s phonetically correct...... ;)
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Right before the "BOM BOM" hit on Think!, I facepalmed. I thought it was a "name a Middle East country with a space program that dates back to at least the 1960s", and went with Israel. At the last second, I noticed the word cedar. Three months ago, I wouldn't have had the cedar-Lebanon Pavlov, but "this Middle East country is known for cedars" was one clue out of the 300K in my anki J! deck that got picked and that I've had drilled into my head. I had time enough to type (Lebanon?) in my spreadsheet, but didn't have the time to go over and check my work. If I'd had time to reread the clue , where it said "HAD a space program", I would have easily flipped my answer.

Count me in for musical clues - Don Henley for "New York Minute", and The Byrds for Ecclesiastes. I almost said "Goodnight Saigon" instead of "Miss Saigon" - both employ helicopters.

Speaking of Vietnam, time is a flat circle. I literally got the "identify Vietnam on this map" clue right not because of its location, but from its shape, because it was on that weird category a month ago where they randomly superimposed countries on the US. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that you can actually study for J!.

I clammed on the Bolivar clue, but my weird psychic ability would have guessed "Pizarro" if there were no penalty, since it's the only "Spanish guy who came to South America" name I had at the tip of my tongue. My skill is being able to give the right response to the wrong clue (or the wrong resposne to the right clue?) I didn't get Pizarro when he did come up, either.

I thought BODY ADJECTIVES was going to be stuff like "cold shoulder", "hot hand", "evil eye". If I'd seen all five and had a chance to go back, like on a written test, I would have easily run the category, but 4/5 ain't bad. Same thing with BIBLE BOOK TELLS ME SO - they threw up some random quote that I knew was from Genesis, but I was trying to figure out if they were going for who was speaking, or who it was about?

On the other side, I precalled "knuckle", so sometimes categories are helpful.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Last clue - McKenzie trailing by $800 and a $2K opportunity. Then she is gifted the lead by $1200 and has NOTHING to gain. Her payday is 2X times second place + $1 so her actual score is irrelevant as long as she remains in first place. She must have really known that final answer cold.

I thought the Thursday hex and a strong competitor would be the end. These last second rallies are not a sustainable model, but I hope she gets the fifth win (unless we have a boardie playing, lol..)

Easy FJ, but only because of the writer's fondness of this connection. I have never heard crap about the Ceders of Lebbenon before.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

That long e did ALL of the lifting if you're playing blind...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

2nd super strong game in a row for me with 40+ correct, all 3 DD's and instaget Finals.

However, today's game made me squeamish when I knew I could run Kerouac, but fumbled on the last 3 clues.

-$1200 for also saying France instead of Canada
-$1600 for picking the wrong Burroughs work with Junkie
-$2000 for saying Paradiso instead of Paradise for some ungodly reason.

Also said Good King Cole instead of Old King Cole for another forehead slap.

Here's hoping I clean up my act whenever I get on the show
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

True North wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:07 pm (beat poet = Allen Ginsberg, always).
Well, not quite, but Ferlinghetti wasn't particularly a friend of Kerouac, and Gregory Corso isn't a top row name.

I thought the 1200 clue there was rather tricky: '"TI JEAN" on Jack's grave reflects his heritage; his parents immigrated to New England from this country'. Was "New England" (rather than "USA") meant to suggest a shorter trip than the one from France?
I'm smart and I want respect.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 38,800
49 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: New York minute, Wiener schnitzel, Ecclesiastes, Baccarat (DD), Chile, Canada

Country + cedar = Lebanon. Not FJ!-worthy, difficulty-wise, but the interestingness of the fact makes it forgivable IMO.

I expected TPH to know "New York minute" based on this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu_ThUWjcEk
Golf wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:31 pm
Woof wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:07 pm
No shit. But considering Jeopardy doesn’t penalize for spelling so long as it’s phonetically correct...... ;)
You might have missed some wordplay there.
Sprinkles are for winners.
jeffwolfe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeffwolfe »

Found this BBC article linked from the Wikipedia article on the Lebanese space program:
https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-24735423
yclept

Post by yclept »

That was one bad spelling - she did get lucky that the bad spelling was still phonetically correct. Wow.

She once again came back from a big deficit but the leader certainly helped out with the negs. Her 4-day total is impressive but you may as well clinch the TOC spot on Friday.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:10 am I expected TPH to know "New York minute" based on this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu_ThUWjcEk
Quite possible. Wouldn't expect anyone else here to even know him.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:30 am
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:10 am I expected TPH to know "New York minute" based on this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu_ThUWjcEk
Quite possible. Wouldn't expect anyone else here to even know him.
I thought about the song after the clue, but didn’t know who sang it.