Friday, February 21, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Re: Friday, February 21, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Got $13200 in Lach Trash in DJ alone. Only missed Bosnia and the individual cell responses.

Add an instaget FJ and that's a 4th podium victory for me :mrgreen:
Last edited by BrigadierSolo13 on Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Wray
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A Wray »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:54 pm
MitchO wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:42 pm It was absolutely INFURIATING me that they were letting Jon get away with the lack of "What is" as long as they did. Did they ever give someone that much leniency before?
Like misspelling in the FJ! round the show has rules. You can botch phrasing in the J! round and Alex will remind you more than once if necessary. There is no grace in the DJ! round. Some viewers will shrug their shoulders while others will be angry. There is no universal agreement for viewers liking or disliking things about the program.
I could be wrong, but it seems to me that in the old days, in SJ Alex would say "Remember your phrasing" before accepting the response, forcing the contestant to actually say it right. If there's no penalty, the rule might as well not exist.
True North wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:03 pm I had never heard Steph Curry referred to as “Threezus” before, so I went and Googled it and the first hit was...Kyle Korver :lol:
Ditto. I follow the NBA religiously and had never heard that nickname in my life.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I only missed three of the 13 triple stumpers, with two clams and a neg: I was just barely getting to Puritanism when time was up, I didn't think Mike Piazza was as early as 1988, and "former Yugoslav" frequently makes me guess (North) Macedonia because that phrase was part of its official name. Subtracting that $1,200 from the other 10 TS clues I got, that leaves me with $12,800 in LT, which gets me the fourth-podium win with my FJ conversion.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 39,600
50 R/4 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: discus, acid test (DD), Puritanism, Dave Barry, Mike Piazza, Summertime, Billy the Kid, Rio de la Plata (DD), Paramaribo, somnambulism, Thomas a Becket, Turandot

MacKenzie keeps doing just enough to win, but it doesn't feel like she's getting lucky. I'm excited to see just how far she can take this.

Turandot might be my proudest get of the season.
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:27 am The FJ! category had me try one precall and it turned out to be right as I suspected sports was out due to the J! round category in that area. No chance for Alex to give me the business for English as I added the "E" that MacKenzie did not have.
Same here. The only other thing that came to mind was the Jules Rimet Trophy, but Wednesday's FJ! ruled that out.
Sprinkles are for winners.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

talkingaway wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:34 pm - there's literally nothing else they throw at the Olympics on the field (unless you count a high jump pole in frustration or themselves in a long jump), and there is a "weight throw" that's an analogue of the hammer throw for indoor track meets, but there's little international recognition of it AFAIK. Either way, discus was my first choice, and I decided to be bold and buzz in anyway.
I believe you mean a pole vault pole (see my avatar, lol..). I officiate NCAA track meets and it is a missed attempt if your pole knocks the crossbar down. So I tell the women vaulters to throw that pole back like their ex-boyfriend is standing on the runway. Then I tell the men vaulters the exact same instruction, lol... (elite vaulters jump higher than their pole, and btw the world record fell last weekend). But track and field consists of runs, jumps, and throws, with a hybrid event of hurdles and steeplechase. Decathlon is 3 of each type plus one hurdle race.

McKenzie had her most uneven game today I think, but entertained us again with an alternative spelling, this one much more understandable. I don't see how you can follow this show and not get so baked in that you always phrase answers as a question. I'm glad it didn't cost him, and it is a shame he didn't get to play FJ.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

sarisson wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:52 pm It was awfully cruel to make the contestants pronounce Paramaribo.
I can't see any difficulty in pronouncing the word acceptably. My own pronuncation (PA-ra-ma-REE-bo) doesn't seem to have been correct (that's PA-ra-MA-ri-bo), but I'm confident it'd be good enough for the judges. However.....
cheezguyty wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:07 pm For the $800 clue in 3 "M"
Elaborate process of preparing a pharaoh for the afterlife
I had "embalmment" instead of "mummification". Judges?
I see two problems here: embalmment (a) is only part of the process, and (b) isn't a word in dictionaries.

I agree that Puritanism was quite tough for the top row. I'd seen the quote, but couldn't remember it within a few seconds. I didn't know carrots and peas either, but I'm fine with undervaluing Forrest Gump clues.

The oddest TS to me was Becket.

I don't want to pile on Jon (for one thing, I only played the episode from the archive), but I agree that players who forget the rules repeatedly are not what's great about the show.
I'm smart and I want respect.
MollyQMurphy
Silver Medalist

Post by MollyQMurphy »

Think I'm in a pedantic mood this evening. Not sure how Becket or peas and carrots are TS, either, but the thing that bugged me enough to mention it here was how FJ was written as superimposed over the players and music.

I didn't see it fast enough to know if the actual reveal had the same error, and my DVR isn't working so I couldn't rewind.

The Palme d'Or was clued as 18 carat over crystal. No, it's 18 karat. So, 2 questions.

1. Did the clue as first revealed spell it correctly? I've seen at least one other clue where the reveal was correct, but the superimposed text was wrong.

2. Did they spell it wrongly on purpose, so it wouldn't cue the word "gold" into contestant brains?

Carat is a weight, usually for gems, but sometimes can be precious metals.

Karat is a measure of purity, and is how it was meant here.

See? Told you I was feeling pedantic. But dammit, especially when Alex is on about spelling errors, but just as models of intelligent quizzing, don't they have a responsibility to get the clue right?
Pending...
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MollyQMurphy wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:38 am Think I'm in a pedantic mood this evening. Not sure how Becket or peas and carrots are TS, either, but the thing that bugged me enough to mention it here was how FJ was written as superimposed over the players and music.

I didn't see it fast enough to know if the actual reveal had the same error, and my DVR isn't working so I couldn't rewind.

The Palme d'Or was clued as 18 carat over crystal. No, it's 18 karat. So, 2 questions.

1. Did the clue as first revealed spell it correctly? I've seen at least one other clue where the reveal was correct, but the superimposed text was wrong.

2. Did they spell it wrongly on purpose, so it wouldn't cue the word "gold" into contestant brains?

Carat is a weight, usually for gems, but sometimes can be precious metals.

Karat is a measure of purity, and is how it was meant here.

See? Told you I was feeling pedantic. But dammit, especially when Alex is on about spelling errors, but just as models of intelligent quizzing, don't they have a responsibility to get the clue right?
Carat on both initial reveal and subsequent showing of the FJ! clue.

I found this:
https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-a ... t-vs-karat
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Lefty wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:13 am
I see two problems here: embalmment (a) is only part of the process, and (b) isn't a word in dictionaries.
a) By certain definitions of the word "of" in the clue, it doesn't have to be the whole process. Mummification includes several processes, one of which is embalmment. Then the question becomes whether the act of embalming is elaborate, which is subjective. I think it is.
b) It's below Merriam-Webster's online definition for "embalm" as a word formed from it.
yclept

Post by yclept »

Always nice when the games are close and you know the FJ. It has helped MacKenzie build up a huge total because she is being forced to bet big to secure the wins.

Missing a clue to fall into second only to jump right back in to take the lead. Not that it mattered in the end.

Part of me felt bad for Jon. The other part of me is kinda happy he didn’t pull out the win. He was tough to watch during the Jeopardy round.

It was only natural that MacKenzie would have a solid Jeopardy round followed by what I believe is her worst DJ performance after Alex’s comment at the start of the game.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Lefty wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:13 am
I can't see any difficulty in pronouncing the word acceptably. My own pronuncation (PA-ra-ma-REE-bo) doesn't seem to have been correct (that's PA-ra-MA-ri-bo), but I'm confident it'd be good enough for the judges.
I once saw a contestant get credit for "Cape ha-TARE-us" so I think you're good.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

sarisson wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:52 pm It was awfully cruel to make the contestants pronounce Paramaribo. Give the city and ask them to name the country instead. I had Pam-a-ri-bo and lost $2000,
But it's so much fun to say. Try it. I've been saying it as though it's a Spanish word, which is fun--pahr-ah-mah-REE-bo. But I just found out (and diligently cross-checked, not that I don't trust him) from Lefty, that the accent is on the MAH. Furthermore, it's not "Ma" like what Laura Ingalls called her mother. The vowel is pronounced like the a in "mad". Not sure how to represent that in the faux-netic alphabet--paa-raa-MAA-rih-boh, maybe. Imagine JFK talking about the place then un-exaggerate the result. Anyway, it's tons of fun to say it that way too.

Sadly, the locals appear not to understand the fun either. They tend to refer to the place as Par′bo.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Linear Gnome wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:01 pm It makes me sad that Dave Barry is lost to history. Funny guy.
Agreed. We've been reading and guffawing at Dave Barry since 1987. I remember when he turn 40. (And since he's a boomer, this was a huge deal. The important generation was getting OLD and needed to talk about that!) Still, the clue was basically a picture of the man plus the Florida and humor connections. So maybe the contestants just didn't know what he looked like. If they had even more knowledge, yet somehow didn't recognize Barry's face, they could worry that the picture was of Carl Hiaasen. Then, you ring in with Dave, lose $800, AND hand that amount to an opponent. Better to stay clam.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:54 pm
MitchO wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:42 pm It was absolutely INFURIATING me that they were letting Jon get away with the lack of "What is" as long as they did. Did they ever give someone that much leniency before?
Like misspelling in the FJ! round the show has rules. You can botch phrasing in the J! round and Alex will remind you more than once if necessary. There is no grace in the DJ! round. Some viewers will shrug their shoulders while others will be angry. There is no universal agreement for viewers liking or disliking things about the program.
It's the whole "more than once" that I find irksome. Contestants should get one freebie in the J! round then penalized for any further omissions.
Same here but I don't know if just two of us warrant a poll request, especially with the other ripe material from the week.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Great episode!
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:36 pm Turandot might be my proudest get of the season.
And a proud get it is. I somehow flubbed it by keying in on "wall" as the TOM rather than "great wall". I knew that Tosca commits suicide by throwing herself off the castle wall, or as it turns out, parapet. So I went that way and patted myself smugly on the back. Great Wall = China = Turandot. I turned a slam dunk (for opera lovers) into a :oops: .

A quick search for "slam dunk emoji" doesn't produce anything that I can use inline with the sentence. But I like both of these so I'm including them.

davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:40 am
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:36 pm Turandot might be my proudest get of the season.
And a proud get it is. I somehow flubbed it by keying in on "wall" as the TOM rather than "great wall". I knew that Tosca commits suicide by throwing herself off the castle wall, or as it turns out, parapet. So I went that way and patted myself smugly on the back. Great Wall = China = Turandot. I turned a slam dunk (for opera lovers) into a :oops: .
The last time it was on the show was 2 months ago as Turandot = China, and this is the 6th mention in 5 years. Seems pretty firmly J! canon by now...
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Fourth Podium Poll is up. Most boardies prefer to discuss it there instead of here.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

heppm01 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:16 am It's the whole "more than once" that I find irksome. Contestants should get one freebie in the J! round then penalized for any further omissions.
Someone who's been on more recently would probably know better than me, but I thought that was the rule -- you get one mulligan in SJ and then get negged and you get negged right away in DJ.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

alietr wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:53 pm
heppm01 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:16 am It's the whole "more than once" that I find irksome. Contestants should get one freebie in the J! round then penalized for any further omissions.
Someone who's been on more recently would probably know better than me, but I thought that was the rule -- you get one mulligan in SJ and then get negged and you get negged right away in DJ.
I've been watching and following here for roughly 9 years and don't recall anyone ever getting negged in SJ, however I also don't recall anyone ever forgetting phrasing twice in SJ so can't really say for certain just based on viewing.