Friday, February 21, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Friday, February 21, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by econgator »

jeff6286 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:13 pm
alietr wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:53 pm
heppm01 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:16 am It's the whole "more than once" that I find irksome. Contestants should get one freebie in the J! round then penalized for any further omissions.
Someone who's been on more recently would probably know better than me, but I thought that was the rule -- you get one mulligan in SJ and then get negged and you get negged right away in DJ.
I've been watching and following here for roughly 9 years and don't recall anyone ever getting negged in SJ, however I also don't recall anyone ever forgetting phrasing twice in SJ so can't really say for certain just based on viewing.
And he got 3 freebies and was about to get hung on his 4th when he FINALLY remembered.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

econgator wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:28 pm
jeff6286 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:13 pm
alietr wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:53 pm
heppm01 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:16 am It's the whole "more than once" that I find irksome. Contestants should get one freebie in the J! round then penalized for any further omissions.
Someone who's been on more recently would probably know better than me, but I thought that was the rule -- you get one mulligan in SJ and then get negged and you get negged right away in DJ.
I've been watching and following here for roughly 9 years and don't recall anyone ever getting negged in SJ, however I also don't recall anyone ever forgetting phrasing twice in SJ so can't really say for certain just based on viewing.
And he got 3 freebies and was about to get hung on his 4th when he FINALLY remembered.
"About to get hung" sounds like your own opinion/theory. Based on the 3 prompts Alex gave him I don't see any reason to believe these would be limited in the J round.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

jeff6286 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:01 pm "About to get hung" sounds like your own opinion/theory. Based on the 3 prompts Alex gave him I don't see any reason to believe these would be limited in the J round.
True, but Alex didn't jump in with the "What is ..." like he had on the previous two. There was quite a bit of silence compared to the other responses. Obviously, we'll never know.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

54 R (Missed Dave Barry, Baker Mayfield, and Joe Arpaio.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Discus, (Acid Test), Puritanism, Mike Piazza, Summertime, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Individual Animation Cel, Billy the Kid, Anwar Sadat, (Rio de la Plata), Paramaribo, Somnambulism, Thomas A Becket, Turandot
Douglas Squasoni
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Sigh... Alex can't pronounce "Srebrenica" and the contestants apparently don't know that it happened. :(
davey

Post by davey »

gnash wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:56 pm Sigh... Alex can't pronounce "Srebrenica" and the contestants apparently don't know that it happened. :(
I think, as the 4th podium poll bears out, that it's just hard to remember which piece of Yugoslavia it happened in.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

NHO "fish rotting from the head down" or "clutching your pearls". The former in particular seemed very wide open.

"Puratinism" seemed obscure for the top box, too.

NHO Golden State Warriors to my knowledge either.

Make a Selection and Trying to Be Clever in general seemed overly-specific and YEKIOYD.

Two more pitfalls in my brain: I always mix up Constitution/Declaration of Independence and Lee Harvey Oswald/John Wilkes Booth..

What was the TOM for Los Angeles Times in Journalism for $400?

No guess on FJ!

Lach Trash: discus, Dave Barry, "Summertime Blues", Billy the Kid, animation cel. Also got the "acid test" DD.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:17 pm NHO "fish rotting from the head down"
Me neither. Clammed on Friday when I saw it. Exact same clue popped up on my online test today. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I did get it right....
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:17 pm "Puratinism" seemed obscure for the top box, too.
Is that the way they spell it in Lebbenon?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I knew who gives the award but not its name.

I got Dave Barry, but have never found him funny.

Surprising a world traveler like Jon missed the river clue. I was hoping he’d get negged in DJ for forgetting the phrasing.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:21 am I got Dave Barry, but have never found him funny.
His bit on THE HAWLEY-SMOOT TARIFF alone is worth it.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:36 pm
Bamaman wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:21 am I got Dave Barry, but have never found him funny.
His bit on THE HAWLEY-SMOOT TARIFF alone is worth it.
I just looked that up online. The funny part must be in the second half of the piece because I quit reading halfway through out of boredom.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:37 pm
talkingaway wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:34 pm - there's literally nothing else they throw at the Olympics on the field (unless you count a high jump pole in frustration or themselves in a long jump), and there is a "weight throw" that's an analogue of the hammer throw for indoor track meets, but there's little international recognition of it AFAIK. Either way, discus was my first choice, and I decided to be bold and buzz in anyway.
I believe you mean a pole vault pole (see my avatar, lol..). I officiate NCAA track meets and it is a missed attempt if your pole knocks the crossbar down. So I tell the women vaulters to throw that pole back like their ex-boyfriend is standing on the runway. Then I tell the men vaulters the exact same instruction, lol... (elite vaulters jump higher than their pole, and btw the world record fell last weekend). But track and field consists of runs, jumps, and throws, with a hybrid event of hurdles and steeplechase. Decathlon is 3 of each type plus one hurdle race.

McKenzie had her most uneven game today I think, but entertained us again with an alternative spelling, this one much more understandable. I don't see how you can follow this show and not get so baked in that you always phrase answers as a question. I'm glad it didn't cost him, and it is a shame he didn't get to play FJ.
I thought about you when I read this.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/byu-pole ... mishap.amp
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

So you got him, you just don't get him.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

MollyQMurphy wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:38 am Not sure how Becket or peas and carrots are TS
Kimberly got peas and carrots, and even tried to do the Forrest Gump voice !
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

davey wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:30 pm
gnash wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:56 pm Sigh... Alex can't pronounce "Srebrenica" and the contestants apparently don't know that it happened. :(
I think, as the 4th podium poll bears out, that it's just hard to remember which piece of Yugoslavia it happened in.
Which I still find hard to fathom. The Srebrenica massacre is, along with the siege of Sarajevo, the most infamous incident of the Bosnian war. I realize that the war was almost 25 years ago, but most posters here were alive then, even if not adults.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:17 pm
NHO Golden State Warriors to my knowledge either.
Instead of saying "NHO" of some of these things, you should start accepting the fact that you don't know much about the subject at hand. Golden State Warriors is a team any NBA fan has heard of, and even if you're not following the NBA, you would know it's a thing.

If you have 0 interest in the NBA, then you're not going to have heard of it, but then you don't need to make a "NHO" statement. Just say "I don't follow basketball." It's as if I'd say something like "NHO Puccini". Immediately outs me as someone who doesn't follow opera at all, and yeah, if you don't follow opera, you've probably never heard of it.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:17 pm
What was the TOM for Los Angeles Times in Journalism for $400?
Watts riots, large newspaper. Of course, you have to know Watts is in LA, but again, you just have to know stuff.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Bamaman wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:55 pm
Spoiler
twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:37 pm
talkingaway wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:34 pm - there's literally nothing else they throw at the Olympics on the field (unless you count a high jump pole in frustration or themselves in a long jump), and there is a "weight throw" that's an analogue of the hammer throw for indoor track meets, but there's little international recognition of it AFAIK. Either way, discus was my first choice, and I decided to be bold and buzz in anyway.
I believe you mean a pole vault pole (see my avatar, lol..). I officiate NCAA track meets and it is a missed attempt if your pole knocks the crossbar down. So I tell the women vaulters to throw that pole back like their ex-boyfriend is standing on the runway. Then I tell the men vaulters the exact same instruction, lol... (elite vaulters jump higher than their pole, and btw the world record fell last weekend). But track and field consists of runs, jumps, and throws, with a hybrid event of hurdles and steeplechase. Decathlon is 3 of each type plus one hurdle race.

McKenzie had her most uneven game today I think, but entertained us again with an alternative spelling, this one much more understandable. I don't see how you can follow this show and not get so baked in that you always phrase answers as a question. I'm glad it didn't cost him, and it is a shame he didn't get to play FJ.

I thought about you when I read this.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/byu-pole ... mishap.amp
Yeah, that's about the status of track and field in this country. An American (yeah, under Swedish flag) breaks the world record DURING AN OLYMPIC YEAR, but the only thing a search of the last month on fox news shows is a college guy ripping his scrotum and a stripper that fell from a 15 foot pole :roll: .
Sorry, mods, I promise no more segues from a discus clue. But on that clue - I've judged college events in the field and it would be easy to get killed by one of those things. Four and a half pounds traveling 75 mph - they become a missile when they skip on hard ground.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Danmel
Valued Contributor

Post by Danmel »

Kimberly is a friend of my daughter's from high school, so of course at Chez Danmel we were all pulling for her.
buckeyebrain
Valued Contributor

Post by buckeyebrain »

talkingaway wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:34 pm The "pardon" clue for some reason had me thinking of the old joke about someone bumping into Gerald Ford in an elevator, saying "pardon me", and Ford replying, "I don't do that anymore." Was it an SNL skit? Can't seem to find it in a cursory google.
I seem to recall it being a Bob Hope joke.