Friday, February 21, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, February 21, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, February 21, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
INTERNATIONAL AWARD TROPHIES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
La Maison Chopard crafts this annual award’s crystal base & 118-gram, 18-carat frond

MacKenzie Jones: 10600+9001=19601 (5x = $130,803)
Kimberly Brazier: 9800-7000=2800
Jon Fuhrman: minus 200

Correct response:
Spoiler
Palme d’Or (Kimberly – BAFTA)

Daily Doubles
Jon: 400-1000
Jon: 800+2000
Jon: 6800-5000

Coryats
MacKenzie: 10600
Kimberly: 9800
Jon: 4600

Combined: 25,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
MacKenzie: 6200
Kimberly: 1800
Jon: 2000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MAKE A SELECTION seemed to have the values a little bit scrambled with MacKenzie getting all but the $600 clue. She got two football, one hockey and basketball in the mix with only the baseball one a stumper.

In the old days of watching J! a nugget like who Pat Garrett killed would never be a stumper while in the 2020s there are going to be these kind of trivia stand-bys that are now not as familiar, unfortunately.

Stumpers that can cause yelling at home are often music ones like 3 "M" $1200: In the Eddie Cochran hit song from 1958, “There ain’t no cure for” these “blues”

As crazy as the game played out Jon was perhaps one move away from possibly winning. Give him a solve on DD3 and a calm buzzer and he could have led for the FJ! round.

The FJ! category had me try one precall and it turned out to be right as I suspected sports was out due to the J! round category in that area. No chance for Alex to give me the business for English as I added the "E" that MacKenzie did not have.

Great sweep the week for MacKenzie to earn a spot for another taping day. She only played 4/14 DDs though bet big on 2 on them when she needed it.

MacKenzie had a strange pattern on Coryats with 14200, 13600, 23400, 16000 & 10600 to leave it wide open how Monday might go for her.

No matter how next week plays out MacKenzie is good for the TOC. That's three women so far having won at least 5 games, with 7 female qualifiers in 1993 the top ratio.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

"Frond" helped narrow it down a lot, but I managed to drop the "e" too. Fans of Sam Peckinpah films should have nailed "Pat Garrett" as well, and fans of the Who would know the Cochran song.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $39,200 (43 R, 1W)
DD 3/3
FJ :mrgreen:

LT $13,000 (fourth-podium victory!): Piazza, discus, (acid test), (Rio de la Plata), Turandot, Becket, Paramaribo, somnambulism, summertime, Sadat, Billy the Kid

Odd game for me. I did better in the lower rows than the upper rows, and better in DJ than J. Always nice when they aren't too heavy with the pop culture/entertainment categories.

Congrats to MacKenzie on running the week and qualifying for TOC!!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Who Framed Roger Rabbit does not have a question mark, like the clue did.

Also, was it just me or was the puritanism clue grossly overvalued at $200? Wouldn't have come up with that in a month.

Instaget FJ, though. As mentioned above, frond = palm = Palme d'Or.
Golf

Post by Golf »

I hope if I ever get on that my competition doesn’t know Billy the Kid and basic world capitals.

Thought the first round had some very funky clues. Anybody else feel this way?

Jon definitely should have won this game, he just couldn’t calm down. The other two kept going to the top of the board not looking for DD’s.

Very nice to see a good wager from 2nd.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

It was absolutely INFURIATING me that they were letting Jon get away with the lack of "What is" as long as they did. Did they ever give someone that much leniency before?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MitchO wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:42 pm It was absolutely INFURIATING me that they were letting Jon get away with the lack of "What is" as long as they did. Did they ever give someone that much leniency before?
Like misspelling in the FJ! round the show has rules. You can botch phrasing in the J! round and Alex will remind you more than once if necessary. There is no grace in the DJ! round. Some viewers will shrug their shoulders while others will be angry. There is no universal agreement for viewers liking or disliking things about the program.

As the archivist for the game I was annoyed having to add the extra jazz caused by Jon. At the audition I find it hard to believe he was flawless in the mock game and I suspect the signs of what occurred today were there for the contestant coordinators. Jon got the call and in some ways that is what is great about J! with not as many hoops to jump through to get on as I suspect other shows are much more fussy about player selections.
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

Coryat: $35,800 (43R, 0W)
DD: 1/3 (only got Ponzi)
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT ($8,600): discus, Dave Barry, Mike Piazza, summertime, Billy the Kid, Anwar Sadat, animation cel, Paramaribo

Instaget FJ. “Frond” gave it away.

I was dead certain John was going to lose out by not PITFOAQ in DJ!. He did do it, but didn’t matter on the incorrect DD3.

I had never heard Steph Curry referred to as “Threezus” before, so I went and Googled it and the first hit was...Kyle Korver :lol:
Last edited by True North on Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

For the $800 clue in 3 "M"
Elaborate process of preparing a pharaoh for the afterlife
I had "embalmment" instead of "mummification". Judges?
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

cheezguyty wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:07 pm For the $800 clue in 3 "M"
Elaborate process of preparing a pharaoh for the afterlife
I had "embalmment" instead of "mummification". Judges?
I’d give it to you.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Some nice trash pickup in South America 8-)
Got as far as the Cannes Film Festival for FJ!, didn't make the palm connection. :(
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:54 pm
MitchO wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:42 pm It was absolutely INFURIATING me that they were letting Jon get away with the lack of "What is" as long as they did. Did they ever give someone that much leniency before?
Like misspelling in the FJ! round the show has rules. You can botch phrasing in the J! round and Alex will remind you more than once if necessary. There is no grace in the DJ! round. Some viewers will shrug their shoulders while others will be angry. There is no universal agreement for viewers liking or disliking things about the program.

As the archivist for the game I was annoyed having to add the extra jazz caused by Jon. At the audition I find it hard to believe he was flawless in the mock game and I suspect the signs of what occurred today were there for the contestant coordinators. Jon got the call and in some ways that is what is great about J! with not as many hoops to jump through to get on as I suspect other shows are much more fussy about player selections.
I don't see how that makes it great. They presumably see hundreds of players each year who are able to follow simple instructions so why cast someone who can't? Yes I'm aware the counterargument is he was probably fine at the audition and froze up under the lights, none of us know for sure.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

I was dope-slapping myself for blanking on both Rio de la Plata and Paramaribo. My 8th-grade Western Geography teacher would smack me.

I did at least come up with LT for discus, Puritanism, Dave Barry, Anwar Sadat, cel, Beckett, and Turandot, but still....

Jon's repeated inability to remember the MOST BASIC RULE in all of J! had me wondering what the heck was going on as well.

Would have had no clue on FJ without "frond." With it: instaget. Except I almost said Cannes.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

FJ! took me longer than it should have, but I still had plenty of time to worry if I was missing something. French + frond + award = Palm d'or. Like our champ, I left off the e, and didn't capitalize the "d", so in the immortal words of Sean Connery - suck it, Trebek!

The "pardon" clue for some reason had me thinking of the old joke about someone bumping into Gerald Ford in an elevator, saying "pardon me", and Ford replying, "I don't do that anymore." Was it an SNL skit? Can't seem to find it in a cursory google.

I might have clammed on the "discus" clue at first, but by the time shot put and javelin were eliminated by the clue, and hammer by a neg, I definitely would have buzzed in - there's literally nothing else they throw at the Olympics on the field (unless you count a high jump pole in frustration or themselves in a long jump), and there is a "weight throw" that's an analogue of the hammer throw for indoor track meets, but there's little international recognition of it AFAIK. Either way, discus was my first choice, and I decided to be bold and buzz in anyway.

Nobody knew that "there ain't no cure for the summertime blues"? That song has to be in a ton of commercials - either for cars or for amusement parks. I feel old - and I'm way too young to have ever actually heard that song on the radio.

Ah, animation cels - when I went to Disney-MGM Studios at Disney World (back when it opened, and it was still called MGM), they had an exhibit where you could literally see animators draw cells...and you could buy them, as well. Probably reproductions. My mom wouldn't get me one as a memento. I got back at her an hour later - we were at a green screen exhibit where they'd cast members of the audience to "star" in famous movie scenes - you could be anyone from Bogart in Casablanca to Sophia from the Golden Girls. My mom had a 50s style bun (this was '89, mind you), and the "casting director" wanted a woman from the audience who "would go along with any wacky scheme her crazy next-door neighbor would come up with". Knowing my mom's hairdo, and knowing that they were looking for Lucy's neighbor, my dad and I pointed right at my mom. And 20 minutes later, she was stuffing chocolates down her bra next to an image of Lucy for an audience of 1000. The next day in the Chinese pavillion at Epcot, my dad and I were waiting for my mom to use a restaurant bathroom, and two women exited the bathroom and said, "That was Ethel Mertz!!!"
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

It was awfully cruel to make the contestants pronounce Paramaribo. Give the city and ask them to name the country instead. I had Pam-a-ri-bo and lost $2000, then lost another $2000 for saying "sleepwalking" instead of "somnambulation." And then my FJ streak snapped at 9. :x
Hoping for a third lap
davey

Post by davey »

I had no idea that song reached back to the 50s (and to be honest I didn't know it was Eddie Cochran's song), so I was at a loss and didn't blame the contestants for the triple stumper. With more time I would have focused on the lyric and got it - maybe they would have too...
I wrote Golden Palm right away and then fretted for the rest of the :30 because it didn't quite sound right. Not sure why the French never came to mind... :oops: I'll live with it.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

sarisson wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:52 pm It was awfully cruel to make the contestants pronounce Paramaribo. Give the city and ask them to name the country instead. I had Pam-a-ri-bo and lost $2000, then lost another $2000 for saying "sleepwalking" instead of "somnambulation." And then my FJ streak snapped at 9. :x
I think you need "somnambulism". (I made the same mistake; I don't always concentrate on the categories as well as I should.)

Sometimes I do pretty well on FJ's such as today's: "Either it's the Palme d'Or or I have no idea, so let's go with Palme d'Or."

It makes me sad that Dave Barry is lost to history. Funny guy.

I keep trying to make a comment or ask a question regarding Jon and his phrasing, but it's really hard. I guess the nicest thing I can say is that it's good that he remembered his phrasing on Ponzi and forgot it on Rio de la Plata, rather than vice versa.