FJs for the 2/17/20 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 2/17/20 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:49 pm

This 2007 movie came to Broadway with an all-female creative team including book & direction and with songs by pop star Sara Bareilles
44%
This West African country of 12 million doesn't border the 1,200-mile-wide gulf of the same name
46%
It's the only country that has played in every FIFA World Cup tournament, winning 5 times
85%
In the 1960s this Mideast country had a space program & one of its rocket launches, the Cedar IV, is commemorated on a stamp
93%
La Maison Chopard crafts this annual award's crystal base & 118-gram, 18-carat frond  
77%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
16%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJ! cues.
1%
INFLUENTIAL WRITING $200: Rudolf Flesch found that the son of a friend had never been taught to sound out letters; hence the book "Why" he "Can't Read"
65%
INFLUENTIAL WRITING $1000: An unfulfilled housewife in this feminist classic by Betty Friedan asks, "Is this all?"
59%
HISTORY TIMELINE $1200: 1532 began the conquest of the Inca by this explorer & his forces
61%
HAWAIIAN CROSSWORD CLUES $400: The "Valley Isle" (4) - I had Maui on the first try.
34%
HAWAIIAN CROSSWORD CLUES $400: The "Valley Isle" (4) - At some point I rebounded Maui.
22%
Waitress was unknown to me as far as recalling ever hearing of the movie and/or stage production.
37%
I have seen the movie Waitress and/or a stage production.
17%
There is a country named Guinea? News to me.
4%
I missed the Friday FJ! clue in thinking the award may have been associated with something in the sports world.
3%

Total votes: 102

talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: FJs for the 2/17/20 week

Post by talkingaway »

davey wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:06 pm
Lefty wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:51 pm

I'm in the Broadway theatre district all the time (though in the theatres themselves much less often). So I know for example that there is now a new show in the former "Waitress" theatre with a short title and a purple sign.
That show is the already-predicted-as-a-future-J!-clue musical about the wives of Henry 8, Six. Opens March 12, already a hit.
Broadway and British royalty - two of the most popular J! categories, and two divergent "points of entry" to a potential clue. If SIX isn't J! catnip, I honestly don't know what is. J! loves clues where you can know something from one of two (or more) sources - books-to-movies, paintings-to-Broadway, country songs-to-geography.

They did 3 or 4 clues of Natasha, Pierre, and the Great Comet of 1812, based on War and Peace - and I wouldn't consider that musical to be particularly big, as I don't think it ever wound up touring. But the literature connection is always big.

(FYI, I figured it was SIX from just the vague description - purple being a traditionally royal color, and the title of SIX being shorter than any Tony Best Musical nominee.)
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Dh and I walked out of the movie version of Waitress. I'm not particularly interested in seeing the musical, but some of the songs are lovely.

Thanks to Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin novels, I knew about the Gulf of Guinea.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

When I went to the thread on the weekly FJ poll for the week of 2/10/20 instead of finding a place to vote, I found the percentages already posted, as if I had already been there and voted. I started to wonder if my memory has gotten so bad that I voted and forgot that I voted.

Just now I went to this poll and found the same thing: I know I haven't already voted but there's no place for me to vote and once again the percentages are up.

Beginning to wonder if this board is haunted and some slime creature is voting for me. :?

At any rate I had no clue on Monday and got the remaining four right.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

The clue about "The Feminine Mystique" brought to mind the line by an old grad school buddy who was a bit more misogynistic than I am:

"Ever notice how close that word is to 'mistake'"?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

John Boy wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:55 pm When I went to the thread on the weekly FJ poll for the week of 2/10/20 instead of finding a place to vote, I found the percentages already posted, as if I had already been there and voted. I started to wonder if my memory has gotten so bad that I voted and forgot that I voted.
Were the boxes still clickable, allowing you to change your vote? If so, yep, you're getting old and forgetful grandpa. If not, I bet you got signed out without realizing it. That happens to me sometimes.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

I couldn't manage to come up with a coherent guess for any of the three misses; I was a deer in the headlights. I was coming up with Niger for the African Country then realized it wasn't even a coastal country.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:50 pm
John Boy wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:55 pm When I went to the thread on the weekly FJ poll for the week of 2/10/20 instead of finding a place to vote, I found the percentages already posted, as if I had already been there and voted. I started to wonder if my memory has gotten so bad that I voted and forgot that I voted.
Were the boxes still clickable, allowing you to change your vote? If so, yep, you're getting old and forgetful grandpa. If not, I bet you got signed out without realizing it. That happens to me sometimes.

I'm pretty sure I did not do this and forget I had done it twice in a row. That would be too senile even for me. Which leaves the other choice...but...

What does that mean, "you got signed out?" And pardon me for once again not being up to speed on this stuff.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

John Boy wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:19 am What does that mean, "you got signed out?" And pardon me for once again not being up to speed on this stuff.
You have to log in to this site to post here. This may happen more or less automatically for you and then you probably stay logged in even when you close the JBoard tab. But occasionally you might get booted off and have to log in again. You can tell whether you're logged in by whether your user name appears at the top right of the page just below the banner. Once you make sure you're logged in, check to see if the check boxes are available for this poll. If they're not, your problem is something else.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:17 am
John Boy wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:19 am What does that mean, "you got signed out?" And pardon me for once again not being up to speed on this stuff.
You have to log in to this site to post here. This may happen more or less automatically for you and then you probably stay logged in even when you close the JBoard tab. But occasionally you might get booted off and have to log in again. You can tell whether you're logged in by whether your user name appears at the top right of the page just below the banner. Once you make sure you're logged in, check to see if the check boxes are available for this poll. If they're not, your problem is something else.
For some reason, in recent weeks, my phone keeps logging me out. My desktop stays logged in with no problem. I haven't had the time to try to figure that one out.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

alietr wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:02 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:17 am
For some reason, in recent weeks, my phone keeps logging me out. My desktop stays logged in with no problem. I haven't had the time to try to figure that one out.
If aren't automatically log in, you could have (or someone else) cleared your cookies accidentally or incidentally to a software update, disk management, etc.. I had trouble at work with people getting on and clearing browser histories - no more automatic logins, and who the hell knows what the passwords are! Either look at the upper right and see if you are logged in, or look at the bottom and see if you are online. Right now we only have 3 boardies and 70 guests.

What the hell you looking at, guests???? Join the party! Alietr only requires your SS# and bank pin codes!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Said Maui on the first try.
Have seen neither version of Waitress.
I would prefer not to.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I'm in the Broadway theatre district all the time (though in the theatres themselves much less often). So I know for example that there is now a new show in the former "Waitress" theatre with a short title and a purple sign.
That show is the already-predicted-as-a-future-J!-clue musical about the wives of Henry 8, Six. Opens March 12, already a hit.
How did that work out for the musical? :(
Anyone with current theatre knowledge want to add a post to the 2021 Current Events thread?
It's definitely a J! relevant connection of H8 & 6.
davey

Post by davey »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:26 am

How did that work out for the musical? :(
Anyone with current theatre knowledge want to add a post to the 2021 Current Events thread?
It's definitely a J! relevant connection of H8 & 6.
It worked out as well as any other Broadway musical running in March 2020. They just started performing again within the last few weeks...
I haven't put anything in the other thread because the women all died 600 years ago, not today, so I wasn't sure it was appropriate... ;) ;)