FJs for the 2/17/20 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 2/17/20 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:49 pm

This 2007 movie came to Broadway with an all-female creative team including book & direction and with songs by pop star Sara Bareilles
44%
This West African country of 12 million doesn't border the 1,200-mile-wide gulf of the same name
46%
It's the only country that has played in every FIFA World Cup tournament, winning 5 times
85%
In the 1960s this Mideast country had a space program & one of its rocket launches, the Cedar IV, is commemorated on a stamp
93%
La Maison Chopard crafts this annual award's crystal base & 118-gram, 18-carat frond  
77%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
16%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJ! cues.
1%
INFLUENTIAL WRITING $200: Rudolf Flesch found that the son of a friend had never been taught to sound out letters; hence the book "Why" he "Can't Read"
65%
INFLUENTIAL WRITING $1000: An unfulfilled housewife in this feminist classic by Betty Friedan asks, "Is this all?"
59%
HISTORY TIMELINE $1200: 1532 began the conquest of the Inca by this explorer & his forces
61%
HAWAIIAN CROSSWORD CLUES $400: The "Valley Isle" (4) - I had Maui on the first try.
34%
HAWAIIAN CROSSWORD CLUES $400: The "Valley Isle" (4) - At some point I rebounded Maui.
22%
Waitress was unknown to me as far as recalling ever hearing of the movie and/or stage production.
37%
I have seen the movie Waitress and/or a stage production.
17%
There is a country named Guinea? News to me.
4%
I missed the Friday FJ! clue in thinking the award may have been associated with something in the sports world.
3%

Total votes: 102

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 2/17/20 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

2/17 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FROM SCREEN TO STAGE

2/17 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This 2007 movie came to Broadway with an all-female creative team including book & direction and with songs by pop star Sara Bareilles

2/18 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AFRICAN GEOGRAPHY

2/18 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This West African country of 12 million doesn't border the 1,200-mile-wide gulf of the same name

2/19 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
INTERNATIONAL SPORTS

2/19 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
It's the only country that has played in every FIFA World Cup tournament, winning 5 times

2/20 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE RACE TO SPACE

2/20 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In the 1960s this Mideast country had a space program & one of its rocket launches, the Cedar IV, is commemorated on a stamp

2/21 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
INTERNATIONAL AWARD TROPHIES

2/21 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
La Maison Chopard crafts this annual award's crystal base & 118-gram, 18-carat frond

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Waitress
Guinea
Brazil
Lebanon
Palme d'Or
The players were 6/14 (42.86%) with a 1-0-2-2-1 success pattern.

The extra clues have two requested triple stumpers followed by on the players rebounded correct.

INFLUENTIAL WRITING $200: Rudolf Flesch found that the son of a friend had never been taught to sound out letters; hence the book "Why" he "Can't Read"

INFLUENTIAL WRITING $1000: An unfulfilled housewife in this feminist classic by Betty Friedan asks, "Is this all?"

HISTORY TIMELINE $1200: 1532 began the conquest of the Inca by this explorer & his forces

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Johnny
The Feminine Mystique
Pizarro
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 2/17/20 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:    

Never seen any version of Waitress

Negged with Kauai in picturing the spelling as Kaui and thinking "Garden Isle"

Not polled: Best wishes to Maggie Speak with her retirement and a thank you to her for how awesome she was with her job including my taping day and 4th audition session.

I knew Who Framed Roger Rabbit does not contain a question mark in its title.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Douglas Squasoni
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:roll: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :x :mrgreen:
Picked up Maui on the rebound.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:| :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

In my studies of Broadway musicals, I had come across the name Sara Bareilles, but didn't apply it to memory at the time.

"Why Johnny Can't Read" was completely foreign to me.

Said Oahu first, would have rebounded with Maui right after.
ilcap
Valued Contributor

Post by ilcap »

:? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I've heard of Why Johnny Can't Read, but couldn't come up with the answer in the moment. I saw people pushing back on TPH in another thread for saying this, but it did strike me as misplaced at the top of the board, and the poll results so far are sort of backing this up. There's probably more of a generational divide on this one than people realized.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Mon - Dreamgirls
Fri - (blank. At ~15 sec I realized they wanted the Cannes top award but brain just up and refused to keep trying. It was a long week...)

Oahu then Maui
NHO Waitress

Poor Johnny. First he can't read, then he got his gun.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

African Geography followed by International Sports was like a 1-2 punch for me... :roll:
Never much interest in seeing Waitress...
I clammed on the 4-letter Hawaiian isle.
Volante wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:36 pm Poor Johnny. First he can't read, then he got his gun.
Johnny definitely got his gun first. He fought in World War 1, and it's no wonder he couldn't read when he "lost his arms, legs, and all of his face (including his eyes, ears, teeth, and tongue)"...! :roll: :( Too soon?... :oops:
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I had a moment of panic on Friday, as I initially took French to mean it could be anything from anywhere. On reading the whole clue, though, "frond" leapt out.

I'm very familiar with "Why Johnny Can't Read" as a title, but I hadn't known there was a particularly Johnny. I'm glad they kept his last name private.

I'm in the Broadway theatre district all the time (though in the theatres themselves much less often). So I know for example that there is now a new show in the former "Waitress" theatre with a short title and a purple sign. Likewise, I'd absorbed the Waitress/Sara Bareilles connection.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

davey wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:47 pm
Volante wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:36 pm Poor Johnny. First he can't read, then he got his gun.
Johnny definitely got his gun first. He fought in World War 1, and it's no wonder he couldn't read when he "lost his arms, legs, and all of his face (including his eyes, ears, teeth, and tongue)"...! :roll: :( Too soon?... :oops:
Ruth Rendell's "A Judgement in Stone" illustrates how illiteracy makes one a killer.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Leander

Post by Leander »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Couldn’t get the Friedan title fast enough
Clammed on the Maui question

Saw the Waitress movie but don’t remember much about it. Have seen plenty of TV ads for the Broadway show.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :( :mrgreen:

I thought Brazil was too obvious, and I thought they'd shockingly not qualified for the last World Cup (on further reflection, I believe that was us), and changed to Argentina.

I'm more familiar with Y Kant Tori Read (Tori Amos's pre-solo band) than with the Johnny title.
davey

Post by davey »

Lefty wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:51 pm

I'm in the Broadway theatre district all the time (though in the theatres themselves much less often). So I know for example that there is now a new show in the former "Waitress" theatre with a short title and a purple sign.
That show is the already-predicted-as-a-future-J!-clue musical about the wives of Henry 8, Six. Opens March 12, already a hit.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:( :( :mrgreen:

Oman (oof), Saudi Arabia

Negged Oahu, then "Oh... Maui?"
Have not seen Waitress but will be catching it on tour in a few months.
Last edited by Plactus on Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Knew Maui first time.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Goose egg.

I couldn't get Maui even with the rebound.

Waitress and Guinea were both unfamiliar to me.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

ilcap wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:29 pm I've heard of Why Johnny Can't Read, but couldn't come up with the answer in the moment. I saw people pushing back on TPH in another thread for saying this, but it did strike me as misplaced at the top of the board, and the poll results so far are sort of backing this up. There's probably more of a generational divide on this one than people realized.
I've heard of the book, but couldn't recall the name. Definitely tough for a top row clue in my opinion.
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

:| :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Heard of Why Johnny Can’t Read, but not enough to come up with it there.

Negged with Oahu.

Never seen Waitress (the film or the play), but got it from an extensive ad blitz last year when the show came to Ottawa.
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

davey wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:06 pm
Lefty wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:51 pm

I'm in the Broadway theatre district all the time (though in the theatres themselves much less often). So I know for example that there is now a new show in the former "Waitress" theatre with a short title and a purple sign.
That show is the already-predicted-as-a-future-J!-clue musical about the wives of Henry 8, Six. Opens March 12, already a hit.
I saw that last week on a cruise, it was fun but not super-memorable.
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: