2020 Current Events Discussion Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: 2020 Current Events Discussion Thread

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 2:30 pm The US can once again launch people into space!
There was a short but heavy rainstorm that crossed over the Cape just before the launch. It was moving roughly south, so by the time it was clear up there and launch was a Go, it was cloudy and pouring over me. Would have been nice to see it live, but at least I could still watch it on TV.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Lollapalooza has now been canceled.

In other news, Lollapalooza still exists...
Total game show career losings = $171,522
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Not likely to come up, but interesting top 5 NYT nonfiction list:

White Fragility, So You Want to Talk About Race, How to be an Antiracist, Me and White Supremacy, and The New Jim Crow
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

This one might be early...
triviawayne wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:03 pm Lady Antebellum is now Lady A
https://news.avclub.com/lady-antebellum ... 1844026132
The only problem with this re-branding effort: There’s already a Lady A, she’s been using the name as a blues singer for the last 20 years

This is per Rolling Stone, which recently spoke with Anita White, a Seattle musician who’s been performing as “Lady A” for two decades now, including releasing several albums under that name.
Meanwhile, the legal situation regarding the name change seems fairly clear-cut (at least as far as the endlessly complex world of music IP goes, anyway); even if she never trademarked the name “Lady A,” White’s 20 years using it as her commercial performing identity would likely give her a serious leg up if things found their way into a court of law.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:45 pm British singer Dame Vera Lynn has died at the age of 103.
In other news, Olivia de Havilland turns 104 in a couple of weeks. And Beverly Cleary turned 104 a couple of months ago. Both women could easily provide material for their own category. My recommendation to the writers is don't wait until after. Do it now while it can still bring a smile to their faces.

Also, Lawrence Ferlinghetti turned 101 in March. With creativity, he could be used to fill a category as well. But maybe an FJ clue would be the best fit here. He had one in 2004 (double get, 1 miss) so it's been a while.
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:02 pm
cinemaniax7 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:45 pm British singer Dame Vera Lynn has died at the age of 103.
Also, Lawrence Ferlinghetti turned 101 in March. With creativity, he could be used to fill a category as well. But maybe an FJ clue would be the best fit here. He had one in 2004 (double get, 1 miss) so it's been a while.
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

This is not really a poll. It's more of an informal query, but I welcome any feedback, private or public.

Although as a freelancer I'm busier than ever during the pandemic, I have somehow also managed to be in a position to catch more news as it happens and post appropriate items to the Current Events thread. For whatever reason, I feel like 80 percent of what I've posted lately involves death notices and obituaries.

When I prepare an obit for the CE 2020 thread, I feel compelled to record a selection of facts, achievements, credits, and/or cultural connections that might interest board members or aid future contestants in preparing for clues about said individual. However, other obits on the thread tend to be on the "leaner" side, providing little more than an announcement and perhaps a link to a news article. I'm not complaining or asking boardies to step up their reporting game. Rather, I'm asking: Am I providing too much info? Is it helpful for you to find extended information in the thread, or am I just gumming up the works for those of you who follow the board on a mobile device?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:16 pm This is not really a poll. It's more of an informal query, but I welcome any feedback, private or public.

Although as a freelancer I'm busier than ever during the pandemic, I have somehow also managed to be in a position to catch more news as it happens and post appropriate items to the Current Events thread. For whatever reason, I feel like 80 percent of what I've posted lately involves death notices and obituaries.

When I prepare an obit for the CE 2020 thread, I feel compelled to record a selection of facts, achievements, credits, and/or cultural connections that might interest board members or aid future contestants in preparing for clues about said individual. However, other obits on the thread tend to be on the "leaner" side, providing little more than an announcement and perhaps a link to a news article. I'm not complaining or asking boardies to step up their reporting game. Rather, I'm asking: Am I providing too much info? Is it helpful for you to find extended information in the thread, or am I just gumming up the works for those of you who follow the board on a mobile device?
Oh no, I try to add a little more than just the bare minimum too; gives people more things to make a link with.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:16 pm This is not really a poll. It's more of an informal query, but I welcome any feedback, private or public.

Your posts in that thread are outstanding. Thank you for taking the time.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I appreciate your contributions as they are.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

The extra is good so when browsing that thread, someone who doesn't know who the person is doesn't have to go looking it up. One of my pet peeves on boards is when people post too little information such as when someone is referring to a LL question and takes the time to post LL85MD3Q4, but can't be bothered to copy/paste the actual question as if everyone will remember what it is they are referring to.

I'm sure I've posted some obits without any info, just thinking everyone knew who it was I was posting about...but I'll be sure to step up in the future.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

alietr wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:00 am
I appreciate your contributions as they are.
Yep -- piling on here.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

In other news, Olivia de Havilland turns 104 in a couple of weeks. And Beverly Cleary turned 104 a couple of months ago. Both women could easily provide material for their own category. My recommendation to the writers is don't wait until after. Do it now while it can still bring a smile to their faces.

Who is the oldest person that ever lived who was famous for something other than just being old?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:13 pm

Who is the oldest person that ever lived who was famous for something other than just being old?
Leila Denmark
Alphaeus Cole
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Probably not going to get too much older than these two:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruthie_Tompson (109)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Lloyd (105)
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

There's a whole Wikipedia article for that, by category-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_centenarians

One that caught my eye - George Abbott, writer/director of such great American musicals as The Pajama Game and Damn Yankees, lived to 107.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Ruthie Tompson turns 110 in three weeks!

I found this page in 2017, not long after the death of Zhou Youguang, creator of the Pinyin romanization system for Mandarin, at 111 (on the day after his birthday, in fact), when a Facebook friend posted about his death and wondered whether that was the longest life of anyone who had made a name for themselves by other means. That year, two other otherwise notable supercentenarians also died: former diplomat at the UN Juliana Koo, and chess master Zoltan Sarosy.

Granted, you need a pretty broad definition of fame to count a lot of these people, but I'm okay with that.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:33 pm

Your posts in that thread are outstanding. Thank you for taking the time.
Thanks for the feedback, everyone!
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Aside from noting that Hugh Downs co-hosted both the Today show and 20/20 with Barbara Walters, I point simply to Downs's humility, as he was known for having said, "I am not a talent; I am a personality."
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

A story about Carl Reiner’s last day. It included watching Jeopardy!.

https://variety.com/2020/biz/news/carl- ... 234697914/