2020 Current Events Discussion Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: 2020 Current Events Discussion Thread

Post by MarkBarrett »

From the main thread:
cinemaniax7 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:07 pm The NFL’s Washington franchise is retiring the “Redskins” team name. The team has been called the Redskins since 1933 when its home was Boston. The team moved to Washington DC in 1937. The team is also expected to announce that it will keep the same burgundy and gold colors but will remove all Native American imagery from its logos and graphics.

Washington owner Daniel Snyder has long been adamant about "never" changing the Redskins moniker. But two weeks ago, FedEx, sponsor of the team's stadium, threatened to end its partnership with Washington, and the Snyder began to feel real pressure to make a change.

It's not known when a new name will be announced, but the leading candidates are said to be the Warriors, the RedHawks, and the Redtails. The Redtails name comes from the planes of the Tuskegee Airmen, the first African-American military aviators in the U.S. Armed Forces, whose aircraft had a distinct crimson tail.
If someone needs a poor taste social media idea then substitute's Heston's cold dead hands rifle for a Washington jersey.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:21 pm From the main thread:
cinemaniax7 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:07 pm The NFL’s Washington franchise is retiring the “Redskins” team name. The team has been called the Redskins since 1933 when its home was Boston. The team moved to Washington DC in 1937. The team is also expected to announce that it will keep the same burgundy and gold colors but will remove all Native American imagery from its logos and graphics.

Washington owner Daniel Snyder has long been adamant about "never" changing the Redskins moniker. But two weeks ago, FedEx, sponsor of the team's stadium, threatened to end its partnership with Washington, and the Snyder began to feel real pressure to make a change.

It's not known when a new name will be announced, but the leading candidates are said to be the Warriors, the RedHawks, and the Redtails. The Redtails name comes from the planes of the Tuskegee Airmen, the first African-American military aviators in the U.S. Armed Forces, whose aircraft had a distinct crimson tail.
If someone needs a poor taste social media idea then substitute's Heston's cold dead hands rifle for a Washington jersey.
They've already probably started burning jerseys.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
John Boy

Re: 2020 Current Events Study Guide

Post by John Boy »

The Stop & Shop chain has announced plans to merge with the A & P stores. New outlets to be known as "Stop & P."
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:31 am John Travolta's wife and actress Kelly Preston has died of breast cancer. https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/13/entertai ... index.html
How does that work in Scientology?
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:07 pm The NFL’s Washington franchise is retiring the “Redskins” team name.
I'll take advantage of one of my last chances to use an old joke:

Why do some people want to change the name of the Washington Redskins?
Spoiler
Because they feel that the term "Washington" is offensive.
Volante

Post by Volante »

Linear Gnome wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:57 pm
cinemaniax7 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:07 pm The NFL’s Washington franchise is retiring the “Redskins” team name.

Spoiler
So, apparently the intended replacement name is tied up in a trademark dispute hence no announcement today. Which was undoubtedly completely avoidable and now absolutely -hilarious-. Dan Snyder...smartest man in the room... :roll:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Volante wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:15 pm
Linear Gnome wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:57 pm

Spoiler
So, apparently the intended replacement name is tied up in a trademark dispute hence no announcement today. Which was undoubtedly completely avoidable and now absolutely -hilarious-. Dan Snyder...smartest man in the room... :roll:
The Washington Lady A’s????

Didn’t see that coming.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

John Boy wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:56 am The Stop & Shop chain has announced plans to merge with the A & P stores. New outlets to be known as "Stop & P."
This is even more out of date than Linear Gnome's joke (because A&P has been out of business since 2015).
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Grant Imahara, an electrical engineer and former host on the Discovery Channel show Mythbusters has died at the age of 49. From 2005 to 2014, Imahara was a part of the show's Build Team with Kari Byron and Tory Belleci. He was the go-to guy for making the robots and rigging the electronics needed for the experiments used to test the featured myth(s).

Before joining Mythbusters, Imahara worked for Lucasfilm’s THX division and later joined the visual effects division, Industrial Light and Magic, where he worked on such movies as episodes 1-3 of the Star Wars saga, Jurassic Park, The Matrix Reloaded, The Matrix Revolutions, and Galaxy Quest.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Add the 2021 Rose Parade to the list of annual events canceled due to COVID-19.
Volante

Post by Volante »

Linear Gnome wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:22 pm Maybe this goes here. MLB will be celebrating Jackie Robinson Day on August 28 this year (instead of the customary April 15).
I'm still not convinced there'll be a season. Week to go, but positive cases all through the league and states where teams are located...(Texas, Arizona, Florida, Georgia, California...)
Sports are like the reward of a functioning society.
-- Sean Doolittle (Nats)
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Volante wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:03 pm
Linear Gnome wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:22 pm Maybe this goes here. MLB will be celebrating Jackie Robinson Day on August 28 this year (instead of the customary April 15).
I'm still not convinced there'll be a season. Week to go, but positive cases all through the league and states where teams are located...(Texas, Arizona, Florida, Georgia, California...)
At this point, I think chances are good that the season will start, not so good that it will finish. I'd spitball the chances that they're still playing on August 28 at 10-15%.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

trainman wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:07 pm
John Boy wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:56 am The Stop & Shop chain has announced plans to merge with the A & P stores. New outlets to be known as "Stop & P."
This is even more out of date than Linear Gnome's joke (because A&P has been out of business since 2015).
Most of my humor is hopelessly out of date, as am I. Please bear with me.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

econgator wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:50 pm And somewhat related, the Washington football team will be known as the Washington Football Team this year.
What's the over/under on the team introduction being like the Baltimore CFL team...
Total game show career losings = $171,522
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:30 pm
econgator wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:50 pm And somewhat related, the Washington football team will be known as the Washington Football Team this year.
What's the over/under on the team introduction being like the Baltimore CFL team...
I would just call them the ex-skins this year. :P
Volante

Post by Volante »

DBear wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:59 pm
Wouldn't that be shirts?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Volante wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:15 pm
Wouldn't that be shirts?
Specifically, the Redshirts. But that name would just set them up for a gruesome series of on-field deaths.
Volante

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:46 pm
Volante wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:15 pm
Wouldn't that be shirts?
Specifically, the Redshirts. But that name would just set them up for a gruesome series of on-field deaths.
I see you're not a follower of FT Washington...
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Olivia de Havilland, who played Melanie in Gone With the Wind, passed away at age 104:

https://ew.com/movies/gone-with-the-win ... es-at-104/

A month ago, Opus suggested I give her a call, because I commented that I literally knew nothing about her except for GWTW...she could give me her career highlights. A little too late.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

talkingaway wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:45 pm Olivia de Havilland, who played Melanie in Gone With the Wind, passed away at age 104:

https://ew.com/movies/gone-with-the-win ... es-at-104/

A month ago, Opus suggested I give her a call, because I commented that I literally knew nothing about her except for GWTW...she could give me her career highlights. A little too late.
You snost and lost, buddy. That'll teach you to put off taking me up on my suggestions.