2020 Current Events Discussion Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: 2020 Current Events Discussion Thread

Post by Robert K S »

The Rock Hall announces a $100 million expansion planned for 2022, modifying the iconic I.M. Pei-architected structure.

https://www.wkyc.com/article/entertainm ... e941bab09a
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

The cheating New England Cheating Traitors will miss the playoffs for the first time since 2008, and finish the season at .500 or below for the first time since 2000.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Euphonium wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:43 pm The cheating New England Cheating Traitors will miss the playoffs for the first time since 2008, and finish the season at .500 or below for the first time since 2000.
I didn't realize they'd changed their name. Looking forward to the new Benedict Arnold logo and mascot.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Not sure they'd make a clue out of this (and even if they did, it's hardly current :D ) but it's possible Thomas Becket's little book has been identified.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-55370722

Nice little dive of an article
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
Volante

Post by Volante »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:37 pm
Bamaman wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:47 pm Phil Niekro, a very good pitcher for some very bad Atlanta Brave teams (and my childhood hero), has died of cancer at 81.
A Hall of Fame hurler and master of the knuckleball, Niekro threw more innings than any pitcher in the past 100 years.

Niekro is the seventh Hall of Famer to pass away in 2020. Lou Brock, Whitey Ford, Bob Gibson, Al Kaline, Joe Morgan, and Tom Seaver all died earlier this year.
Going to be less and less likely for that to happen in the future, given the writers' association stubbornly refusing to vote in large numbers of new players. Even the official MLB site had an article that the latest generations are being overlooked and if even they're letting a critique like this slip in, it's serious

https://www.mlb.com/news/hall-of-fame-m ... -standards
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Two memories of Phil Niekro. One is this picture I took the day before the 1984 All Star Game at Candlestick. I can't remember what that day was called, but it was before the circus of the home run derby. Front row box seats down the third base side were easy to obtain at face value.
Spoiler
Can you tell who was seated next to Phil? It was
Spoiler
Craig Sager
My other memory is seeing Phil Niekro hit one of his seven home runs. I was able to determine it was 9/1/73. Being only nine at the time I'm not as sure, but I seem to recall Garry Maddox making a great catch by the fence. The box score shows the attendance was 44,000+ which was a big crowd at the time at Candlestick for baseball and that is one of the few times I saw a baseball game there from the upper deck.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:37 pm A Hall of Fame hurler and master of the knuckleball, Niekro threw more innings than any pitcher in the past 100 years.
Knucklers aren't thrown so much as heaved.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

How do you post a picture on here? I have a Niekro autographed baseball. I went to a college baseball banquet in Birmingham a number of years ago and he signed it for me.

He won 121 games after turning 40. The last to both win and lose 20 games in one season. He even got a few saves even as a full time starter.

He had a brother (Joe) that was a decent pitcher in his own right. Joe’s only career home run was off Phil. Joe had a son that played first base for the Giants for a few years that Mark probably remembers.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:55 pm How do you post a picture on here?
I would assume you'd have to upload the picture to a hosting site and then link to it from here (you can quote Mark's post above to see the format).
Volante

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:59 pm
I would assume you'd have to upload the picture to a hosting site and then link to it from here (you can quote Mark's post above to see the format).
You can also upload it as an attachment (right below the create message box, next to Options) but it has to be a relatively small file I think. Not sure what the limit is. 121k is okay, 4 megs too large...
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

My process was to take a picture of my photo using my digital camera. I then used my chip to get the image as a .jpeg on my computer using my card reader.

Using this site: https://imgbb.com/

I uploaded the image to get the link I used on this board after I shaved it to get to Image on the ends. The final step was to add the spoiler tags because I use full image and not thumbnail off the uploading site.

When I returned my photo to the album I looked at other pics I took that day and saw a scoreboard shot showing the day was "Workout Day."
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Volante wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:14 pm
You can also upload it as an attachment (right below the create message box, next to Options) but it has to be a relatively small file I think. Not sure what the limit is. 121k is okay, 4 megs too large...
Yes, position your cursor in the posting box where you want the picture to go. Then, under the posting box, select the Attachments tab. Click on "Add files" and select your picture (there is a size limitation). Then you need to click on "Place inline". That will put it where you want it. You can always use Preview to see if it came out right.

In the alternative, if you have a place to save the picture online, you can just use the URL of its location.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

alietr wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:29 am Fashion designer Pierre Cardin has died at 98.
In the 1985 film Back to the Future, Lorraine keeps referring to Marty McFly as “Calvin” when they first meet because the name Calvin Klein is written on his underwear. In the French-dubbed version, Lorraine calls him “Pierre” because she says the name Pierre Cardin is on his underwear.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

I don't foresee this coming up on Jeopardy!, but William Link, the Emmy-winning co-creator of Columbo and Murder, She Wrote (with Richard Levinson), has died at the age of 87. He also created the Ellery Queen and Mannix TV series.