Wednesday, February 26, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Wednesday, February 26, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by alietr »

Golf wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:47 pm As a Mizzou grad who was in the stands for the infamous 5th down game vs. the cheating Colorado jackwagons, I now need to replace the TV after I threw the remote at it. :evil: :evil: :evil:
Go Buffs!
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:22 pm
Hugo Z wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:56 pm
mas3cf wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:20 pm
Hugo Z wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:52 pm So you jump through all the hoops you have to in order to get on this show, accrue a nice sum in your previous appearances and you've got a runaway so you can't lose, and you bet zero dollars in FJ? Zero?
At that point it's real money. If she was not confident in her science knowledge base, why should she wager money on it?
I confess that I can't know what her confidence level is in specific categories. But in four runaways, she's bet zero three times, and slightly over 10% of what she could've safely bet in the other game. Seems more like natural conservatism, but who knows?
MacKenzie commented at The Jeopardy Fan: https://thejeopardyfan.com/2020/02/fina ... -2020.html

Scroll down comments to 12:50 as they are in time order.
Thanks for that. I don't find her reasoning persuasive, but she should, of course, do as she sees fit.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

Golf wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:10 pm
Hugo Z wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:52 pm So you jump through all the hoops you have to in order to get on this show, accrue a nice sum in your previous appearances and you've got a runaway so you can't lose, and you bet zero dollars in FJ? Zero?
I’ll ask you the same thing I asked you not once but twice that you failed to answer back in the 12/31/19 game thread. What’s the most money you have personally wagered on a single outcome?

This is real money. She’s not the best at game theory but she’s not the worst either. If she’s not confident the proper wager is 0. And she’s not going to wager something just to please some random on the Internet.
Sorry, I didn't answer your question because I didn't find it relevant.
Woppy T
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Woppy T »

“Name the 2 Italians who were famously executed in the 1920s” is a $2000 clue? Am I the only one who thinks that is top row material?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Well, somebody had to do it ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAJNwPWVmNc
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:30 pm ... and stupidly said TikTok for Twitch.
I said the same thing, so I can't call it a stupid response. I don't do social media and am completely unfamiliar with Twitch (notice I resisted the temptation to say NHO Twitch - though I don't think I have).

But a twitch can equal a tic, and social media involves virtual talking, and TikTok has been much in the news lately due its connection with possible Chinese intelligence gathering, so that was the best I could come up with. "Wrong" can, but does not necessarily, equal "stupid."
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

alietr wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:27 pm Well, somebody had to do it ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAJNwPWVmNc
Darn it, I was fifteen minutes too late to make the reference. And the Weird Al parody is even more appropriate.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Woppy T wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:18 pm “Name the 2 Italians who were famously executed in the 1920s” is a $2000 clue? Am I the only one who thinks that is top row material?
I would have put it at $1200 given the five clues they had.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

After nobody came up with Clara Bow and Howard Carter, I wasn't confident Sacco/Vanzetti would be pulled. Lots of trash but it was far from my best game either.

I said "planet" instead of "satellite", as it seemed more Latin. I couldn't parse what specific root word was in mind.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:20 am
Alex was able to tease her about spelling again (she's 4/8 for misspells in the round) as she's laughing all the way to the bank.
More Greek chorus already about the betting and the bizarro clue selection logic! Nope, don't know that one, let's try again! I'm loving the way McKenzie is breaking Jeopardy! I want to know how many pullups Greg can do! I think that 3 would probably win a contest of average spectators, and 10 would beat everybody outside of a gym rat.

Why wager real money? In this FJ case I probably would have shot my discretionary budget, and would have lost it. I think the Kepler angle pinned down the relevant achievement of Galileo, and I couldn't even get anywhere trying to think of a collective term for the 4 lunar/moon-y bodies. I'm taking the under for this clue at 55%.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
hansenkd
Valued Contributor

Post by hansenkd »

alietr wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:50 pm
Golf wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:47 pm As a Mizzou grad who was in the stands for the infamous 5th down game vs. the cheating Colorado jackwagons, I now need to replace the TV after I threw the remote at it. :evil: :evil: :evil:
Go Buffs!
Two graduate degrees from Boulder, but I was still in high school when the 5th down happened.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

MacKenzie is doing well as a champ and congrats to her. But if they throw in a spelling category she's done.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:54 pm HIT & "RUN" had me 1/5 only getting the Springsteen song and I suspect I will find company for that pattern.
This .319 in LL Pop Music scored a 2/5! (Runaway Train was my other)
Bamaman wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:47 pm FJ was an instaguess here. I was a little surprised the word didn’t exist until then.
It did exist (first citation: 1520) just not in that usage
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/satellite
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
hansenkd
Valued Contributor

Post by hansenkd »

I would like to see MacKenzie pass Jennifer Quail, whose Twitter feed is....well, what it is.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Ironhorse wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:52 pm I said "planet" instead of "satellite", as it seemed more Latin. I couldn't parse what specific root word was in mind.
For what it's worth, Galileo didn't discover any planets. He did observe Neptune, but never recognized it as a planet.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

The word "describe" did me wrong. I tend to bristle when I see something like "The word that best describes her is 'champion,'" because in my mind, "describe" is what adjectives and adverbs do; nouns refer to things. So I actually thought, "Well, Galileo discovered moons, but 'lunar' describes moons, and that's obviously from the Latin for 'moon,' so is there something more general?" before lamely going with "planetary," knowing full well Galileo lived during that long period where Saturn was the farthest planet known.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:30 pm All but Howard Carter in 1920s (said Lord Carnavaron instead... sometimes I hate the Hawley-Smoot Rule).
If it's any consolation, if Lord Carnarvon had been correct you still would have been wrong. (This reminds me of how you used to put Hawley and Smoot in the wrong order.)
mjhunt
Valued Contributor

Post by mjhunt »

As I and others have said, it is Mackenzie's money and her choice.

However, I do find it slightly odd that she wagers $0 and then goes through the mental energy to solve and try to spell the clue.

If I were going to do that, I would at least bet a little.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

hansenkd wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:08 pm
alietr wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:50 pm
Go Buffs!
Two graduate degrees from Boulder, but I was still in high school when the 5th down happened.
This was the season that concluded with the Colorado coach choosing to punt right at Rocket Ismail and getting away with it due to a clipping call? There's an echo I'd like to have left unwoken.

On the subject of FJ bets, the only ones that really annoy me are the ones that sacrifice any chance of winning the game.
I'm smart and I want respect.
yclept

Post by yclept »

When someone has a runaway, it doesn’t really matter me what they wager. MacKenzie earned the right to bet whatever she wishes by destroying the competition during the J and DJ rounds. She is obviously not adverse to risk given that she goes big on DD. She does have some Buzzy in her in that way.

Her spelling is quite comical at this point but she can sound it out so that she doesn’t add syllables. Still, it would suck for her to lose a game because she screws up on the syllables.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 35,800
45 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: linesmen, Mr T., Edgar Lee Masters, Howard Carter, Winter Palace, bungalow, Haile Selassie, Morocco (DD)

I've said it eleventy billion times, but it irks me no end when contestants don't play to win the game. Grrr.

I had one of those "close but no cigar" negs on Lee Child. I realized who they were asking for and remembered the origin story of his pen name, but I only filed halfway through the story. Those of us of a certain age will remember Renault's Le Car. The mispronunciation of that model name as "Lee Car" apparently became a running joke in the Grant household, leading to the addition of "Lee" in front of various items. This included James Grant's daughter, who was dubbed "Lee Child." When Grant started writing novels, he took his daughter's nickname as his nom de plume.

Anyway, I negged with Lee Carr.
Ironhorse wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:52 pm I said "planet" instead of "satellite", as it seemed more Latin. I couldn't parse what specific root word was in mind.
BTW, "planet" comes from the Greek for "wanderer." It's also worth knowing that "galaxy" comes from the Greek for "milk."
Sprinkles are for winners.